Rehearse on concrete?

When I marched with Spirit from JSU in 2007, we did for camps. I think we also did a few rehearsals on the parking lot during move-ins, but most of the time we were on turf.

proven not to be good for the knees and ankles in the long term.

Some discussion on whether the concrete also affects the sound quality by giving a different reading from grass resonance. (That's grass as in lawn, not that Colorado stuff.)

• Like 1

Does anyone regularly (consistently each season) rehearse on concrete for move-ins or camps?

Years ago (1972!!!) we (Cadets) practiced almost exclusively on concrete/macadam....Hackensack jail parking lot and a parking lot at a factory close to Teterboro Airport.

proven not to be good for the knees and ankles in the long term.

Some discussion on whether the concrete also affects the sound quality by giving a different reading from grass resonance. (That's grass as in lawn, not that Colorado stuff.)

Oh, the Colorado stuff does have its' advantages...at least from the standpoint of sound. For some reason, it always makes the Sops sound higher to my ears. In fact, everything seems higher. :ninja::ninja:

Edited by HornTeacher
  • Like 3

Obviously not recently, but Madison's everydays when I marched were always in the MATC parking lot right next to the airport (what is it about corps rehearsing next to airports). Not only concrete, but light poles to dodge, and deafening jets every few minutes. Of course, maybe the jets helped the hornline develop our power (we had to be louder than they were...)!

And in the days of high leg lifts not good on toes either. 3 years HS, 1 college and 6 corps all on asphalt parking lots = 1 joint replacement on my big toe and other should be done but..yuck.... Yeah they do toe joint replacements, looks like a plastic olive spear and two metal anchors... about 20 minutes of surgery and weeks of hopping or gentle walking.

Yes, most of the camps I attended and have taught, we did a lot of stuff on concrete or asphalt. It's just what's easily available.

Obviously not recently, but Madison's everydays when I marched were always in the MATC parking lot right next to the airport (what is it about corps rehearsing next to airports). Not only concrete, but light poles to dodge, and deafening jets every few minutes. Of course, maybe the jets helped the hornline develop our power (we had to be louder than they were...)!

Love your signature line, Ben. Now...tell me...exactly how many harpsichordist/Soprano players ARE there from the middle of the country (average or otherwise)????

Edited by HornTeacher