Marching Bands Going Mainstream in music videos and concert events

This is not all that new. In the 70's St. William's CYO Band was shown practicing, in full uniform on the Boston Common, in an episode of "Banacek" (I many be wrong on the TV show, but it was a detective show set in Boston). Fleetwood Mac used the USC Band in "Tusk" which would have been 1979 or 80. They did a concert that is sometimes aired on PBS featuring "Tusk: and a band appears, I'm not sure if it's USC. "Drumline" involves a marching band. Then there's the famous East High band from "High School Musical." Since many of the kids marching today However drum corps have had their share too. Guardsmen were featured in a Kentucky Friend Chicken commercial that aired nationally and the Bridgemen drum line was in a Twix commercial though they were not in uniform. Regarding concerts, I think a Boston area corps once appeared with the Boston Pops, though I could be wrong. The Pops honors groups in attendance, especially of the group buys a block of tickets so it's conceivable that there was a Boson Crusaders night at Pops or a Twenty Seventh Lancers night at Pops and the corps did not actually perform. However, for some reason I thought I remembered listening to a Pops concert on the radio with a drum corps performing. This would have been when I worked at a deli on Saturday nights, which would go back about twenty five years. It also could have been Blast! if the group was appearing in Boston. Boston Pops has a great reputation for finding

Since most people do not know the difference between a band and a drum corps, we should be saluting any group that gets positive attention.

And yet waffles have yet to mentioned in this thread.

• Like 1

Most of those featured in music videos/commercials are either RCC or USC. Location matters when an ad agency needs a band for a commercial.

Most of those featured in music videos/commercials are either RCC or USC. Location matters when an ad agency needs a band for a commercial.

I'm thinking it was USC that marched over Ricardo Montalban in Naked Gun, but I could be wrong.

My father went the same way.

• Like 2

Gwen Stefani "Hollaback Girl" (2005)

Alex Gaudino featuring Crystal Waters "Destination Calabria" (2007)

OK Go "This Too Shall Pass" (2010)

"Weird Al" Yankovic "Sports Song" (2014)

The first of these was a huge hit. I'd never heard of the second, but it was apparently big in Europe. Doubtless there are other examples.

I also came across this:

"Hawaii Five-O" commercial (2011)

Thanks!

Any day I can see Grace Park qualifies as a Good Day! :augen51:

• Like 1

Garfield Cadets played a marching band (hmmm..foreshadowing???? :silly: ) at a political rally in the film "Crazy Joe" in 1972, a film about Crazy Joe Gallo, starring Peter Boyle (among other roles...the "Putting on the Ritz" dancing monster in "Young Frankenstein").

the Cadets also around '88-91 did a march around a theater in NYC during the winter as part of the production inside the theater. The music "heard in the distance" was live. A photo appeared the next day in the NY Times, I remember. Corps wore their corps jackets and thick sweaters underneath.

Edited by xandandl

Richard Pryors version of Brewsters Million had CMCC Warriors playing "Take Me Out To The Ballgame".

Can't get it to show the pic but have two 70s mainstream tidbits. Anyone know how to show from Flickr or Photobucket? Been a while and options have changed..

Good ol' Cap'n Kangeroo (from DCW)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/14488996@N00/112231681/in/photostream/

Nationally syndicated 70s comic stripe where D&BC was in the punch line (Redeye)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/14488996@N00/112231679/in/photostream/

Edited by JimF-LowBari

I'm thinking it was USC that marched over Ricardo Montalban in Naked Gun, but I could be wrong.

My father went the same way.

Probably right. It's almost always USC or RCC. USC has also appeared in a few music videos as well.