Judge Tapes

If your parallel is correct, why are their tapes out online?

why are a lot of things on line that perhaps should not be. a leak, a mole, or selective release by the organization.... not unlike a company selecting positive quotes to show how good they are.

• Like 1

If your parallel is correct, why are their tapes out online?

To continue the grat analogy...

Because those who are the ones being evaluated (the corps) made the decision to post them, not an external organization (DCI posting them, for instance).

• Like 1

why are a lot of things on line that perhaps should not be. a leak, a mole, or selective release by the organization.... not unlike a company selecting positive quotes to show how good they are.

I think in the cases discussed here...Coats and Cadets...the corps themselves made the choce, so that would really be fine, though deep down inside I have a few jitters about the judge not having a say in publically posting his or her commentary...adn what it might do to their commentary if posting them online became commonplace.

• Like 1

I think in the cases discussed here...Coats and Cadets...the corps themselves made the choce, so that would really be fine, though deep down inside I have a few jitters about the judge not having a say in publically posting his or her commentary...adn what it might do to their commentary if posting them online became commonplace.

Excellent points. Perhaps Coats and Cadets needed permission/approval from the individual judge before releasing? Edited by Quad Aces

Hoo boy... some of the comments on our tapes when we were working our way up would be embarrassing to some judges.

Personal favorite is our judged exhibition at Baltimore in old Memorial Stadium. There were beer and hot dog salesmen working the crowd during our part of the show and yelling just like it was a ball game. One tape had "Well this must be coming across very nice. I say must be because the crowd is responding. As for me I can't hear anything because of this ### #### hot dog saleman!!" Other part of the tape had <judge talking>" "COLD BEER GETCHA COLD BEER" <judge swearing>.

• Like 1

There are also member-leaked judges tapes out in the wild: mostly from very high achieving captions that members were so stoked to post because most of the tape is gushing.

I can get why a Director might not want a tape criticizing design, or maybe a specific weak section of the corps. I agree with others that it would be AWESOME if a corps offered a judge tape with Fan Network video (I'd love to hear some of those perfect 20 scoring judges' tapes from BD). I also agree that it's the choice of that corps to release them if they choose.

I wonder if they released them as a pay-only video download (i.e. not an automatically free stream for FN subscribers) if it would be an easy(ish) way to make a little bit of money. But I do get why the majority of corps wouldn't want to release judge tapes & let the general public hear the judging criticism. With some of the nutty conversations posted online, why add to potential negativity?

• Like 1

Personally, I think the decision belongs to the individual corps, not to DCI as an organization placing them on the Fan Network of something. While we-as-fans might like to know what is on the tapes, we don't really have to know...it isn't something we have the right to know, in other words...at least IMO. Yes, it is cool to hear them, so I understand the desire. I also think that wholesale release of tapes might cause judges to be more generic..and therefor less insightful...in what they say, if they think their words will be spread all over the web.

totally agree

Would you want your personal evaluation at work to be available to the general public? would the company you work for put out for the public to see an overall evaluation of their operation? Next time you are at work ask for the overall work place evaluation or that of your boss or co worker and see what response you get. And then, ask if you can make the evaluations public on a web site and see what response you get.

great analogy> and so right imo

Would you want your personal evaluation at work to be available to the general public? would the company you work for put out for the public to see an overall evaluation of their operation? Next time you are at work ask for the overall work place evaluation or that of your boss or co worker and see what response you get. And then, ask if you can make the evaluations public on a web site and see what response you get.

Don't agree. And before anyone pipes in, I'm not saying I agree with the releasing of the judges tapes, but I do not agree with the above.

We had more than one excellent analysis and subsequent discussions on the corps 990s (Thank you Garfield!). These organizations are non-profit. There are multiple donations given to them by the public. Their general financial situation is available for all to see and as shown on this forum, to be discussed. Who pays the staff. The corps. Where does the corps get their money?

At what point does the organization not become "non-profit?" To save the criticism of the hiring and instructional capabilities of their staff?

DCI is also non-profit and funded by numerous donations. Who pays the judges? DCI.

Edited by Lincoln

Hoo boy... some of the comments on our tapes when we were working our way up would be embarrassing to some judges.

Personal favorite is our judged exhibition at Baltimore in old Memorial Stadium. There were beer and hot dog salesmen working the crowd during our part of the show and yelling just like it was a ball game. One tape had "Well this must be coming across very nice. I say must be because the crowd is responding. As for me I can't hear anything because of this ### #### hot dog saleman!!" Other part of the tape had <judge talking>" "COLD BEER GETCHA COLD BEER" <judge swearing>.

Waaay back around 1977, a Garden State Circuit corps I taught went to the World Open Prelims, and on one of our sheets the phrase "See Tape" was scrawlded. Now..not to mention the word "see" over "hear", but...

When we listened to the tape, the judge turned it on as the corps was just starting to march on the field...he left it going...said his name at some point...never turned it off....the corps started...no comments at the beginning of the show...first number ended...still no comments...second number...ditto...all the way through. Not a single comment on the entire tape! I'm not sure if he turned it off, or if it ran out of tape!

We could have used it for the guard to practice with! :tounge2:

• Like 1