Regiment '15

I'm glad they're sticking with the Phantomettes. It's a part of their identity now, in my opinion.

I agree 100%.

• Like 1

I'm glad they're sticking with the Phantomettes. It's a part of their identity now, in my opinion.

It was part of their identity long before now. Guys weren't a part of it for most of their history BUT the thing with identity is, one can change it or re invent themselves and it doesnt take long for it to become the norm.

Overall, I prefer female guards, and in the case of Madison and Cavies a male guard, to coed guards. I'm sure it's the old school in me, and if you are a young man who has been in a coed guard, you probably have impressed me and you have more talent in the tip of your little finger than I ever had, or ever will, but unless it's integral to how the corps is telling a story, "Spartacus" being an excellent example, I prefer the artistry of an all female guard, like I said with the exception of Cavies and Madison.

Now when it comes to Phantom, I want the same old, same old: a physical guard that is artistic and can manipulate equipment better than the others. "Juliet" of 2011 is a great recent example. Very elegant, but it included plenty of flag and rifle/sabre work, and a "Rockford File." 2012 had everything, and a 3rd place overall finish to show for it. 2013 and 2014 were good, probably better than some would admit, but for me not Phantom.

Overall, I prefer female guards, and in the case of Madison and Cavies a male guard, to coed guards. I'm sure it's the old school in me, and if you are a young man who has been in a coed guard, you probably have impressed me and you have more talent in the tip of your little finger than I ever had, or ever will, but unless it's integral to how the corps is telling a story, "Spartacus" being an excellent example, I prefer the artistry of an all female guard, like I said with the exception of Cavies and Madison.

Now when it comes to Phantom, I want the same old, same old: a physical guard that is artistic and can manipulate equipment better than the others. "Juliet" of 2011 is a great recent example. Very elegant, but it included plenty of flag and rifle/sabre work, and a "Rockford File." 2012 had everything, and a 3rd place overall finish to show for it. 2013 and 2014 were good, probably better than some would admit, but for me not Phantom.

HMMMM thats interesting because historically the PR guard of the past ( all female ) was far from the feminine approach.I remember the hard ### guards of the PR helmets and all which is where the rockford file came from..lol I think what you are saying as far as theme of if a gender fits within can be said of most anything done

I do know the switch over back to all female didnt have much to do with theme but other internal issues at the time. I do agree and loved the 2011 guard, dated a bit, reminded me of SCV in the late 80s) but quite good.

Edited by GUARDLING

Re the Regiment Color Guard, it seems that the program will dictate the number of male participants in what historically has been an all-female ensemble. Also, there seems to be a preference that if males are included, they will not be in the same costumes as the females nor will they be doing the same things… unless the program so dictates.

If you examine PR's last 12 programs (2003-2014), 6 have included males in the Guard ( "05 Rhapsody, "06 Faust, "07 On Air, "08 Spartacus, "09 Red Violin and"10 Into the Light ) and 6 have not ( "03 Harmonic Journey, "04 Apasionada, "11 Juliet, "12 Turandot, "13 Triumphant Journey and "14 Swan Lake). In fairness, Rhapsody is a bit of an anomaly since the only male was more of a guest performer, to use Madison's terminology.

Two years of all-female ( 03-04 ) followed by six straight years of male-female ( 05-10 ) and then four straight years of female guards ( 11-14 ).

What is curious to me is the impact, IF ANY, these choices have had on CG scores.

I am doubtful that these correlations translate to causality but there must be some rationale for why the Regiment's CG generally underscores other sections of the corps relative to its ranking within its scoring category v the corps overall final's ranking. I do not believe lack of talent or lack of hardwork are reasons.

Of these 12 years, the Guard has placed higher within the CG ranking 3 times v. the Regiment's finals placement ( "11 3 v 5, "12 2 v 3 and "13 4 v 6 ).

In one year ( "14 ), the CG ranking was the same, seventh.

In the other eight years, the CG ranking was lower than the Regiment's finals placement ( "03 5 v 4. "04 9 v 5, "05 4 v 3, "06 3 v 2, " 07 6 v 4, "08 2 v 1, "09 10 v 9 and "10 8 v 6 ).

So the last four years have seen a positive trend and the group of instructors which achieved this result have been largely replaced or reassigned. Puzzling.

My questions are primarily for those of you on DCP who have a teaching or adjudicator experience with color guards and/or visual programs but all are welcome to opine..

Is Phantom's color guard design not "WGI-enough" for today's judges? Is it primarily a matter of execution? Is it a matter of not doing enough "difficult" stuff? Or Is it……?

Please help me understand. Thank you.

Edited by 1956OPR

I have another suggestion ( I think this is #6 ) for the Regiment's 2015 program, whose title is one I'm sure Mr. Michael C. might find interesting.

How about "BACH IN BLACK" with a choice of selections from among Air on the G String ( Orchestral Suite #3 ), Brandenburg Concerto, Cello Suite #1, Concerto for 2 Violins in d, Mass in b and Toccata & Fugue in d.

Or perhaps we can save this program for 2016, the 20th anniversary of our 1996 championship and, again, wear all-black uniforms.

Edited by 1956OPR
  • Like 1

Re the Regiment Color Guard, it seems that the program will dictate the number of male participants in what historically been an all-female ensemble. Also, there seems to be a preference that if males are included, they will not be in the same costumes as the females nor will they be doing the same things… unless the program so dictates.

If you examine PR's last 12 programs (2003-2014), 6 have included males in the Guard ( "05 Rhapsody, "06 Faust, "07 On Air, "08 Spartacus, "09 Red Violin and"10 Into the Light ) and 6 have not ( "03 Harmonic Journey, "04 Apasionada, "11 Juliet, "12 Turandot, "13 Triumphant Journey and "14 Swan Lake). In fairness, Rhapsody is a bit of an anomaly since the only male was more of a guest performer, to use Madison's terminology.

Two years of all-female ( 03-04 ) followed by six straight years of male-female ( 05-10 ) and then four straight years of female guards ( 11-14 ).

What is curious to me is the impact, IF ANY, these choices have had on CG scores.

I am doubtful that these correlations translate to causality but there must be some rationale for why the Regiment's CG generally underscores other sections of the corps relative to its ranking within its scoring category v the corps overall final's ranking. I do not believe lack of talent or lack of hardwork are reasons.

Of these 12 years, the Guard has placed higher within the CG ranking 3 times v. the Regiment's finals placement ( "11 3 v 5, "12 2 v 3 and "13 4 v 6 ).

In one year ( "14 ), the CG ranking was the same, seventh.

In the other eight years, the CG ranking was lower than the Regiment's finals placement ( "03 5 v 4. "04 9 v 5, "05 4 v 3, "06 3 v 2, " 07 6 v 4, "08 2 v 1, "09 10 v 9 and "10 8 v 6 ).

So the last four years have been seen a positive trend and the group of instructors which achieved this result have been largely replaced or reassigned. Puzzling.

My questions are primarily for those of you on DCP who have a teaching or adjudicator experience with color guards and/or visual programs but all are welcome to opine..

Is Phantom's color guard design not "WGI-enough" for today's judges? Is it primarily a matter of execution? Is it a matter of not doing enough "difficult" stuff? Or Is it……?

Please help me understand. Thank you.

PRs guards at times ( most times ) have delivered a very good visual addition to the program < NOW if you want to seperate the apples and oranges and the content and delivery, the trend setting as well as the traditional the above and beyond verses the safe but very fitting then you might find you answer. :smile:

One can find this or apply this when judging such a caption but of course many can debate those outcomes or opinions also.

Male or female guards also IMO have nothing to do with success or lack of. It's just a choice and in some cases also has nothing to do with theme. PR over the years have done some not so feminine approaches with an all female guard. A guard could adapt to either.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

PRs guards at times ( most times ) have delivered a very good visual addition to the program < NOW if you want to seperate the apples and oranges and the content and delivery, the trend setting as well as the traditional the above and beyond verses the safe but very fitting then you might find you answer. :smile:

One can find this or apply this when judging such a caption but of course many can debate those outcomes or opinions also.

Male or female guards also IMO have nothing to do with success of lack of. It's just a choice and in some cases also have nothing to do with theme. PR over the years have done some not so feminine approaches with an all female guard. A guard could adapt to either.

Hit the nail on the head. They tend to write appropriate, elegant work. However in today's WGI world (if you don't think there's crossover, you're blind. Same performers/designers/judges) Box 6 exists. I'm sure that mindset is present within the DCI guard world and that similar wording is on the new sheets. Edited by chaos001
  • Like 1

Hit the nail on the head. They tend to write appropriate, elegant work. However in today's WGI world (if you don't think there's crossover, you're blind. Same performers/designers/judges) Box 6 exists. I'm sure that mindset is present within the DCI guard world and that similar wording is on the new sheets.

theres a total crossover and has been for many many years already. Not just guard wise either. Many of todays and yesterdays designers etc etc and yes judges are one and the same.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 3