Regiment '15

There's an implied You in that question. Most of us are American, n'est-ce pas?

GFTW. (Gershwin For The Win.)

/not a preference but a prediction... I like some of the other ideas like Ravel better.

Perhaps Gershwin's "An American in Paris"?

I hope not. I also hope they have no plans to do pieces like La Vie en Rose.

During the last several seasons, the Regiment has chosen a theme based on a piece of music. But the show itself has involved more than that one piece of music.

Turandot, Romeo and Juliet, Swan Lake.......................................................................................................why do we think this will be different for 2015??? Any proof?

During the last several seasons, the Regiment has chosen a theme based on a piece of music. But the show itself has involved more than that one piece of music.

Turandot, Romeo and Juliet, Swan Lake.......................................................................................................why do we think this will be different for 2015??? Any proof?

None at all. Just wishful thinking

Turandot's source music was all from the opera.

I'll be honest (like when am I not?)...I'm seriously worried for the corps this year. Lots of major staff turnover. I just wish they could get things together.

Edited by chaos001

I like drum corps to establish themes that they revisit every few years. Santa Clara with the upscale Broadway stuff, for example, and then the conceptual shows like Eureka!

Phantom comes across as having a single distinct style, with variations only as one-offs like Into The Light. And some people get sick of that primary style, so they in effect get sick of Phantom (I'm not one of those people. Phantom is like pizza. Even when it's not good it's still great.). However, basically they either play several composers, or a single composer everyone has heard before, trying to play it in a fairly predictably formal orchestral or operatic way.

My meager suggestion would be to establish Into The Light as a type of Phantom show that recurs every three years or so. Focus on a single modern lesser known composer's work, preferably all from a single work, and commit visually and musically to that composer's imagery. No diluting with other composers, no music from the repertoire or that everyone has heard a million times. Show us something we haven't seen, and commit to it for the whole show.

But even if this year they do another "Phantom 101" show, that's still fantastic.

• Like 4

I subscribe to the Boston Symphony, and while I find the newer works interesting, I go to hear Beethoven, Brahms, Tchaikovsky, etc. good conductors can interpret these scores in new and creative ways, so I think Phantom can return to composers who have been used before and works they have used in the past. As a matter of fact in last year's show there was plenty of material in the original score that has never been used by drum corps. The show could have been original and a blockbuster if some of this music had been used.

Phantom does seem to be in a bit of a rut. 2011 was beloved by fans even though it placed 5th, 2012 was very strong and more than a few thought it might be a runner up to Blue Devils. 2013 was good at the beginning of the season and I thought it had potential, at least that's what I thought when I saw them in Lawrence, Lynn, and Bristol. By Allentown they lost steam. 2014 had its moments, and they rallied a bit by finals, and I think finished where it deserved to be. Phantom does have a history of correcting past mistakes with better shows the following year--we'll have to see if it happens.

• Like 3

Consistency without repetition is something PR has yet mastered

• Like 1

The answer from Phantom:

"Ever been to Paris?"

So many possibilities, from Debussy to Delibes ... from "April in Paris" to "You Must Remember This" (from Casablanca, where "we'll always have Paris") ... from Gigi to Moulin Rouge ...

I've mulled over my own ideas for a Paris-themed show in the past - hope they don't use them!

I'm glad they're sticking with the Phantomettes. It's a part of their identity now, in my opinion.

I also enjoy the Phantomettes. I hope they are much improved this coming season because a 9th place finish in guard at Finals like this past summer is not going to cut it. I am not sure what has happened since 2010, 2011, and 2012 when Phantom's guard was 5th, 3rd and 3rd place respectively at Finals, but I am hoping for a better result in 2015.