Regiment '15

sayeth Corpsband:

In an old house in Paris that was covered with vines

lived twelve little girls in two straight lines.

In two straight lines they broke their bread ...

Yup! Two straight lines sez "Rockford Files" to me, oui ou non?

John Brazale and crew would certainly beam.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 1

Last thing I'd want is for Phantom to go down the BD path. As much as I love BD's recent direction, let Phantom be Phantom. Playing powerful classical music is what they do best. They don't need to be "artsy" and eccentric to pull off an entertaining and competitive show.

But they aren't playing the powerful classical musical arrangements "they do best." They sound like every other corps attempting to perform classical music. Their unique rich, dark, soulful sound is virtually non-existent today.

• Like 3

That is what you get when the judging community is trained to judge what they consider "good" by the corps that win. DCI would do well to get a lot more judges and start cycling people through judging music as opposed to the same old same old. This is what you are going to get. Frankly judges need to be sequestered from corps and their staffs as well IMHO.

• Like 2

But they aren't playing the powerful classical musical arrangements "they do best." They sound like every other corps attempting to perform classical music. Their unique rich, dark, soulful sound is virtually non-existent today.

Respectfully disagree. They sounded quite amazing this past season. They still sound like Phantom. Not as powerful no, but I attribute much of that to bad arranging.

• Like 3

Respectfully disagree. They sounded quite amazing this past season. They still sound like Phantom. Not as powerful no, but I attribute much of that to bad arranging.

"...bad arranging." That's my gripe.

• Like 2

I'll agree, I think they sound pretty great these days, but the sparkle that the JD Shaw arrangements added to their musical ability is what is non existent today, not their ability.

I don't think Don Hill's a bad arranger, at all I sure as hell couldn't arrange anything, but I just don't think he's been a good fit for Phantom thus far. I enjoyed his work at Glassmen, really enjoyed his 2002 - 2003 Cadets books, and his high school stuff is to die for, he just for some reason hasn't brought that to Phantom, and maybe for reasons we don't know, he can't. All they're lacking to me is that intangible magic that Shaw, and before him Wren brought. I think he's amazing at what he does, just not at Phantom. Come finals the past few year I've enjoyed their shows, just not loved them.

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 1

I'll agree, I think they sound pretty great these days, but the sparkle that the JD Shaw arrangements added to their musical ability is what is non existent today, not their ability.

I don't think Don Hill's a bad arranger, at all I sure as hell couldn't arrange anything, but I just don't think he's been a good fit for Phantom thus far. I enjoyed his work at Glassmen, really enjoyed his 2002 - 2003 Cadets books, and his high school stuff is to die for, he just for some reason hasn't brought that to Phantom, and maybe for reasons we don't know, he can't. All they're lacking to me is that intangible magic that Shaw, and before him Wren brought. I think he's amazing at what he does, just not at Phantom. Come finals the past few year I've enjoyed their shows, just not loved them.

Agreed. And, I shouldn't have said "bad" arranging, he's a quality arranger, just not in the style of Wren (and later Shaw), the PR style.

• Like 3

Absolutely agree. Shaw and Wren were great for Regiment, and it's difficult for Hill to fit in with them. I know Hill is amazing, but I enjoy his marching band work much more than his corps work. Hill knows how to write for woodwinds and brass very well, and I tend to enjoy that more from him.

• Like 1