Regiment '15

Periscope confuses the heck out of me.

• Like 1

This show is a lot more interesting than the shows PR has put out since Shaw left, imo. REALLY excited for this show to develop. Writing seems to have new life

Got there at 3:30 and watched both the rehearsal and performance. Really like the uniforms this year!

Musical arrangements are beautiful. Love the jazzy sound in some of the show. Great group of young musicians this year. Saw the field show last week as well, and it's looking good! Can't wait yo see the final product from up a little higher in some bleachers.

Typed this as I listened.

Really nice percussion feature at the start of the show, like the writing this year a lot more than last years Concert at the Park video. Brass sounds nice! 2nd tune (I Love Paris?) is fun! Again, percussion writing is nice. Hornline actually sounds pretty good. Runs have nice clarity for this quality of video and this early on. Lots of percussion features and Rim Shots. Claire De Lune doesn't seem overdone like Nimrod did in 2013, really nice dynamic moments. Kind of a shortened version of it, though, still nice. CONTRAS! An American in Paris is fun, not gonna compare to 2005, but it's nice. Yet another percussion feature. Lots of those in this show. Transition into Organ Symphony is pretty abrupt, will have to see that in context. Honestly, any time I hear Organ Symphony I like it. Makes a great closer. Organ Synth sounds, dare I say nice? Don't mind it at all. Definitely not copying his previous Organ Symphony arrangements from Glassmen/Broken Arrow. ANOTHER PERCUSSION FEATURE! I really like Kuhn's writing for this show! Reminds me of their 90s books that were balls to the walls in your face! End of Organ Symphony is glorious!

I've listened to these videos after every Concert in the Park since 2011, this is by far my favorite one since 2011. Really looking forward to seeing this with the visual program! Should be a really pleasant, nice show. After being kinda dissapointed the past 3 years, this was a very pleasant surprise. From that quality of video, lots and lots of nice percussion features. Solid Brass, arranging like Phan said above, seems to have new life. A little choppy in spots, particularly transitioning into Organ Symphony, but overall a nice preview of what is to come.

• Like 3

I know there are people who aren't crazy about the uniform, but to me they "look" like Phantom again.

I agree. I wasn't crazy about a couple of aspects (the color extending past the baldric on the right side to include the sleeve and the fringe) but seeing the parade pics and these have pretty much diminished whatever concerns I had. They look good en masse and, like you said, definitely have that Regiment look. Now I'm going to have to search YouTube every hour until somebody posts a #### video! (I have a good feeling about this year.)

• Like 1

Periscope confuses the heck out of me.

yeah i cant ever seem to find anything

Just took a listen to the Periscope video. Impressions:

• Woah, where'd the jazz come from? Prior to their show, they played a couple of pieces with a guest trombonist and sounded GREAT. There was a bit of a jazzy feel in the piece after their ballad as well. It was a bit bizarre to hear from Regiment but it went well with their sound imo.
  • It was hard to get much of a feel for the show through this Periscope video. The acoustics and the compression just didn't mesh well and it was hard to get a good read of the arrangements because a lot got muddled
  • The percussion is featured a lot. Could PR's drumline be trying to travel the road of redemption much like Crown?
  • Claire de Lune has some good potential. Again, it was hard to get a good read but the parts I could discern sounded awesome.
  • Organ Symphony is going to be one EXCITING closer come Finals. Wow.
  • Transitions were rough, but I don't remember the last time the same transitions were kept the same from this concert to Finals. Not concerned about that.
  • They played Elsa's at the end. Arrangement sounded a little different but still gave me goosebumps.

Overall, this is a very atypical PR show. To me atleast, it really didn't sound like anything that they've really done recently. This show is no Faust or On Air, but it sounds like something that has great potential. The homer in me is very optimistic about this direction and season!

Edited by Cappybara
  • Like 1

• Woah, where'd the jazz come from? Prior to their show, they played a couple of pieces with a guest trombonist and sounded GREAT. There was a bit of a jazzy feel in the piece after their ballad as well. It was a bit bizarre to hear from Regiment but it went well with their sound imo.
  • It was hard to get much of a feel for the show through this Periscope video. The acoustics and the compression just didn't mesh well and it was hard to get a good read of the arrangements because a lot got muddled
  • The percussion is featured a lot. Could PR's drumline be trying to travel the road of redemption much like Crown?
  • Claire de Lune has some good potential. Again, it was hard to get a good read but the parts I could discern sounded awesome.
  • Organ Symphony is going to be one EXCITING closer come Finals. Wow.
  • Transitions were rough, but I don't remember the last time the same transitions were kept the same from this concert to Finals. Not concerned about that.
  • They played Elsa's at the end. Arrangement sounded a little different but still gave me goosebumps.

Overall, this is a very atypical PR show. To me atleast, it really didn't sound like anything that they've really done recently. This show is no Faust or On Air, but it sounds like something that has great potential. The homer in me is very optimistic about this direction and season!

I think that doing something a little different is a good direction, when you try to emulate the past it just doesn't go as well, which the previous two shows kinda felt like. Love the Organ symphony as well! This one just seems to have more life than the past two years in terms of arranging to me. I think it'll be pretty solid.

How?!?! I can do a frigging root canal but ###### if I can figure out how to find their performance on this stupid app...

How?!?! I can do a frigging root canal but ###### if I can figure out how to find their performance on this stupid app...

Are you prepared to sit through almost an hour? Because Periscope doesn't let you fast forward so you'll have to listen to everything in one sitting.

First, launch the app (im assuming you already made an account), then go to the tab on the bottom right, and type in "Momma DCI". Click on her profile which gives you a pop-up, follow her, and then on the same pop up, click on recents, and press the play button on the thumbnail of the video.