Regiment '15

So glad to see the leg extension is back! Is this during a power wedge or what? Hard to tell from the picture

So glad to see the leg extension is back! Is this during a power wedge or what? Hard to tell from the picture

Looks like it's still the chevron ending with those on the outermost arc doing the kick-out.

I still think they'll add like 8 more counts at the end and either compress that chevron or go into full power-wedge mode.

Looks like it's still the chevron ending with those on the outermost arc doing the kick-out.

I still think they'll add like 8 more counts at the end and either compress that chevron or go into full power-wedge mode.

I certainly hope you're right. Even if this show falls down to 8th somehow, I'll be happy that the staff at Regiment are intent on keeping the corps' identity alive and strong.

Boy, that other thread has gotten quiet. Saw the corps at the Buffalo show last night, and this is a really solid show that screams "Phantom Regiment" start to finish. They've cut down on the narration to the point where it's very short and only appears a couple of times (read: easy to ignore), and the hornline is just excellent. I was very impressed by the maturity of the players. The difference in playing style to switch from the warm, lush, mid-heavy sound that they achieve in the Debussy (which they are starting to allow to breathe more, and which is really coming alive), and the more top-heavy, jazzy sound of the Gershwin is really impressive. Tuba feature is nicely cleaned up at this point, and the crowd ate it up. One of the things I'm convinced doesn't come through in the recordings I've seen online is the musical sensitivity of Rob's writing for the front. Just gorgeous stuff all the way through. Those opening strains positively sparkle live, and the Debussy is incredibly well done.

The crowd loved this show, and the difference in crowd connection and reaction between this and Cavies was night and day. While I wasn't high up enough to effectively judge visual nuance, I'm really not sure why Cavies are so close to Regiment in GE2 (supposedly music focus?) or music ensemble, for that matter. I guess we'll see how things play out in the next six days.

• Like 1

Very happy to hear that narration has been shortened and cut. Some of that cheese narration made me cringe during a show I liked a lot at the beginning of the season. Now they just need to get rid of the idiotic shopping motif that is present throughout the show.

Edited by JoshClements403
  • Like 1

I'm ok with the shopping motif - every show doesn't have to be a "heavy" theme - but I'm extra glad the narration has been trimmed. Honestly, the show doesn't need it, and in many cases it was interfering with the music.

Mike