Regiment '15

I would think the work a vet does in a previous season is usually audition enough. What more is the staff going to learn about them the following November?

1) what, if any, improvement has been made by the vet in the offseason

2) comparison of talent level between any given bet and any given rookie/auditionee

3) for brass line, bass line, and front ensemble where a vet might fit within the big picture: 1st trumpet, 2nd, lead, etc? Top bass, 2nd, bottom? 1st Marimba, 2nd Vibe, metallics?

4) for snare and tenor line or maybe contra, placement of each member within the line based on whatever configuration staff prefers (talent in the center, rookies on the end?)

It seems very plausible that in any given year each corps has one or two (or more) 'weak lengths.' Maybe a trumpet player who got get on every part except standstill chords (I know of one who won DCI in the 1990s); maybe a snare drummer who didn't progress as staff thought when they accepted them, and the parts of the line go continually hosed because the drummer couldn't hang. Maybe someone who was picked up in May to fill a hole and was a constant drag on the corps. It's possible the staff doesn't want to automatically cut them out-of-hand per-say, but if the member didn't improve and if the corps has better options why not see what's out there? Maybe a vet the staff wasn't hyped about comes back in November, NAILS her audition and blows the staff away and radically changes the perception of their abilities and attitude? It goes both ways, and generally a members knows what they're getting into so if a corps can "afford" to audition everyone every year that's their prerogative and more power too 'em!

• Like 2

Worked for us when I marched Madison in the 90's.

Works for BD as well.

Auditioning vets each year also seemed to work pretty well for Cavaliers during the 90's and later.

As said before, there is no black/white rule here: what works for Madison in the 90s might not work for Madison in the 2010s, or other corps. Corps make policy based on their own philosophy and what they think works best for them any given season. As long as members understand that policy and buy into it, what we think from the cheap seats doesn't matter too much

• Like 1

Works for BD as well.

Auditioning vets each year also seemed to work pretty well for Cavaliers during the 90's and later.

As said before, there is no black/white rule here: what works for Madison in the 90s might not work for Madison in the 2010s, or other corps. Corps make policy based on their own philosophy and what they think works best for them any given season. As long as members understand that policy and buy into it, what we think from the cheap seats doesn't matter too much

Good point.

I still don't think it's good to hit the reset button members every year if you can prevent it.

Good point.

I still don't think it's good to hit the reset button members every year if you can prevent it.

I mostly agree, and it's possible we're way over thinking this. Auditioning every year might be more of a formality than an actual "wipe the slate clean every November and start from scratch" type of thing. Heck, it might be more of a one-on-one "catch up with the CH/tech" type of thing than an actual hard corps evaluation of talent/achievement.

I have found that making vets audition actually helps the corps administration in determining real numbers of who is in the line for the future season rather than waiting several months until all the vets decide to turn up or not. I see it as a technique to an end, not a goal of itself. However, Perc and Eleran have made very real and authentic points which help motivate the vet to continue to improve and not rest on past laurels.

How many vets show up at first camp after a medal has been won is always telling. More common today for vets and rooks to retire with their medals rather than push themselves (and finances) to make it happen again.................................fully realizing that their efforts are not the only factor in the equation by any means.

Have we exhausted this side topic while we mark time for Regiment's big reveal??? Less than two days away, snow storms not interfering.

Edited by xandandl

Everyone is so far off in their predictions..... Come on it's as clear as day

1) Bandettes

2) Les Etiole

3) Lone Star

4) Glassmen

5) Americanos

6) Florida Wave

7) Kiwanis Kavaliers

8) Suncoast Sound

9) Star of Indiana

10) Freelancers

11) Sky Riders

12) Southwind

so, was just kind of curious as to when this might become the Regiment '15 thread again???

• Like 2