Regiment '15

I've tried to write a response to this since I first saw it. Every time I stop and erase what I've written thinking I'll come back to it.

There are tragic things going on in the world. I know there are great things as well, but we live in the age of immediate information and every time something happens, it moves to the forefront of what we see depending on what device we are using to "connect" and the media outlet involved.

One of my favorite things about this activity is the little corner of the world it fills. It's so often a happy world - music and motion created by people who want to entertain. From the big picture perspective few in the general public "get" it. Those of us who do love it.

I know we salute shows that discuss difficult topics. Sometimes they bring us quickly down to earth and move us with their effectiveness. We also salute the shows that give us an escape to forget about the day-to-day goings on.

I sincerely hope that Phantom's Paris-themed show reminds us of why so many love the city. Escaping to that wonderful Paris for 10+ minutes will be a treat this summer.

"that wonderful Paris..."

Wonderful doesn't exactly come to mind when thinking of Paris. While it has been referred to many times as a "romantic and cultural destination," it is actually dirty and arrogant. I have to travel their periodically on business. Lyon on the other hand is far more cultural, especially if you enjoy the famous French cuisine. Once you are out of greater Paris, the people are far more friendly. Most French will tell visitors not to use Paris as their image of France.

Wonderful doesn't exactly come to mind when thinking of Paris. While it has been referred to many times as a "romantic and cultural destination," it is actually dirty and arrogant. I have to travel their periodically on business. Lyon on the other hand is far more cultural, especially if you enjoy the famous French cuisine. Once you are out of greater Paris, the people are far more friendly. Most French will tell visitors not to use Paris as their image of France.

D'accord. C'est vrai. Yes, this is true. The same way folks from the Midwest and Plain States prefer their vision of America to that of New York or even Florida. We all like our own experience.

Perhaps PR designers have chosen the more iconic vision of France. Otherwise, would they be choosing Le Havre, Bordeaux, Les Alpes, or Nice? France like US is rather varied.

• Like 1

I'm not going to get into differing opinions on Paris. Every destination will have people who love it or people who don't. Paris is a significant tourist destination so there must be something there that people like.

Phantom's show is called "City of Lights." If they had picked "City of Nice" then they might have chosen somewhere with a reputation for being kind and polite.

I love me some Clair de Lune, including their amazing rendition in 1994. One thing today's judges wouldn't appreciate: a sustained four-minute ballad.

But I was hoping they'd try something different, like The Girl with the Flaxen Hair or Reverie.

I'm really intrigued by the Poulenc. I wasn't familiar with it prior to this announcement. (gotta have a conflict section)

I mentioned the piece you cited - Girl With the Flaxen Hair - to Jim Wren a few years ago. Unfortunately, at least while he was arranging, they took thinks too literally, and it never got done. Would have been awesome!

While we are anticipating news....

not quite the Parisian image I was imagining...

Y 15501_10152635228328668_2638261665659206

Wouldn't a frog be more appropriate? Come on Regiment, get with the program.

• Like 1

Good one Cappy, ha, ha.

(Actually I lifted it from the local hockey team there in Rockford who did a benefit night for them.)

I guess on DCP while we await details, we will be accused of renaming the gig as "City of (Making it) Light." :dry:

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 1