Regiment '15

Having watched that clip from their park concert, I am BLOWN away! I love it!

Without making any real bold predictions I will say this sounds like a fantastic show and I love the newer style of writing and the throwback to some traditional Phantom sounds. Obviously we have not yet seen visual or had a chance to assess GE, guard, staging, and things of that nature, but to my ears here is what I am hearing:

1. A brass line that is very talented with major demand in the book, and I feel they sound a bit better than Cadets do at this juncture. Tough to pick up on bad audio quality, but in terms of articulations and control of range I feel as though they are at the same level or perhaps a bit stronger than Cadets at this point. Obviously that's an unfair comment to make so early and without having truly seen each brass line live. So just an observation.

2. Love the percussion book and the pit is really good. Solid integration of the musical book (brass, battery, pit).

3. Love the music. It's a nice out-of-the-box approach to trying something new yet wrapping it in somewhat traditional clothing (if you will). The charts flow, utilize a variety of styles, feature all the sections, and there is plenty of melody to grab onto. This music will no doubt be tweaked some, but I am confident this will be a solid, if not, spectacular musical production.

Really looking forward to this show!!!!

• Like 3

So, what you're saying is that it will stay up until Regiment or DCI ask you to take it down?

If they asked, yes. I would have no problem taking it down. It gets tricky since it's a non-DCI sponsored public performance in a public space. Even MORE tricky since it was recorded with Periscope.

If they asked, yes. I would have no problem taking it down. It gets tricky since it's a non-DCI sponsored public performance in a public space. Even MORE tricky since it was recorded with Periscope.

Totally get where you're coming from, and I thank you for doing the leg work on putting this stuff up. If I remember correctly from past years, there hasn't been a problem with with these concerts going up on youtube. Did you say yesterday that you know someone who made a higher-quality recording, as well?

Totally get where you're coming from, and I thank you for doing the leg work on putting this stuff up. If I remember correctly from past years, there hasn't been a problem with with these concerts going up on youtube. Did you say yesterday that you know someone who made a higher-quality recording, as well?

Yeah most of the Music in Park performances all the way back to 2006 (there are none for 2007-2009) are freely available. That's not to say it's legal for them to be online but DCI nor PR have taken them down.

Someone did record yesterdays and it should show up pretty soon. I'll post it here.

I'll just take the periscope one down as soon as that one is live.

• Like 2

Yeah most of the Music in Park performances all the way back to 2006 (there are none for 2007-2009) are freely available. That's not to say it's legal for them to be online but DCI nor PR have taken them down.

Someone did record yesterdays and it should show up pretty soon. I'll post it here.

I'll just take the periscope one down as soon as that one is live.

Seems like a reasonable compromise.

Without making any real bold predictions I will say this sounds like a fantastic show and I love the newer style of writing and the throwback to some traditional Phantom sounds. Obviously we have not yet seen visual or had a chance to assess GE, guard, staging, and things of that nature, but to my ears here is what I am hearing:

1. A brass line that is very talented with major demand in the book, and I feel they sound a bit better than Cadets do at this juncture. Tough to pick up on bad audio quality, but in terms of articulations and control of range I feel as though they are at the same level or perhaps a bit stronger than Cadets at this point. Obviously that's an unfair comment to make so early and without having truly seen each brass line live. So just an observation.

2. Love the percussion book and the pit is really good. Solid integration of the musical book (brass, battery, pit).

3. Love the music. It's a nice out-of-the-box approach to trying something new yet wrapping it in somewhat traditional clothing (if you will). The charts flow, utilize a variety of styles, feature all the sections, and there is plenty of melody to grab onto. This music will no doubt be tweaked some, but I am confident this will be a solid, if not, spectacular musical production.

Agreed. I think they sound great and this is shaping up (I know it's early) to be one hell of an entertaining show. I'm sure that Claire de Lune is nowhere near where they'll eventually be taking it dynamically-- I think it's going to be wonderful when they finally get there.

Interesting that you mention the Cadets. To me this book sounds quasi-Cadets.

Interesting that you mention the Cadets. To me this book sounds quasi-Cadets.

Well, I also mention them because I don't have a lot to go on. Most corps don't post a lot of pre-season music. It's close. I went back and listened to the Cadets June 5 periscope video and they do sound wonderful, powerful, and fairly well balanced. I'm just dying to see Phantom make a move I guess...and for the our local corps (the Bluecoats) to take Gold. :)

• Like 2

After listening to the source music again, this show is going to need a BIG kick in the pants, or it's going to be so boring!!! I wonder if PR staff will have the balls to go out on a limb and do something unpredictably PR with it. I somehow doubt it. But I hope they surprise everyone.

Does the music still sound boring to you?

It sounds like their selection from Lambert's Horoscope is specifically the "Bacchanale" movement--is that right?