Regiment '15

Listened to the concert again, and my spidey sense tells me there is a great opportunity for a wedge-kick with the ending they are playing, for now.

• Like 1

Listened to the concert again, and my spidey sense tells me there is a great opportunity for a wedge-kick with the ending they are playing, for now.

There hasn't been a power wedge since '07 it's long overdue!

At least we for sure know there's a chevron in there somewhere.

Raising a large Eiffel Tower prop into position?

Life size, I hope.

https://youtu.be/tSVZQCQKQJ4

I can hear things I didn't hear in the other recording.

So much more to enjoy!

Wow, amazing how much of a difference the medium to which a video is shared makes. Though there probably was a difference in recording equipment too.

I really love the different take on Claire de Lune. Also, I know that Phantom is known for their low brass sound but that high brass is sounding really, really good.

Organ symphony sounds as exciting as it did in Periscope. The synth sounds are a little puzzling, I'm sure there's a reason for it. Couldn't help but notice how lush the chords sounded in that particular part of the show. Great blend already. And probably the biggest differentiator between this show and the many that come before it is that it's practically upbeat throughout! Really refreshing.

• Like 3

I'm interested to see Vanguard, almost 0 discussion on them this off season, which is understandable due them having not shared anything. After 4 years of climbing and maintain 4th last year, I wouldn't count them out either. This is going to be an exciting year!

I am just really unsure about SCV this year... yeah they have been amazing the last 4 years. but there is just alot of really good corps that have released things. this could easily make this year one of the best in DCI's history

I will say that it is exciting that Regiment is certainly not lying down after a few "off" years And before I go on, to those who have not yet seen the video of their concert in the park, the second one on this thread is MUCH better than the first in terms of fidelity.

The really good things:

Though not completely identifiable on the video, there does seem to be an underlying energy of competitiveness and drive that hopefully will emerge as a tangible force in this year's production. Though some of the new staff have not been overwhelmingly advocated on this forum, several of them are great at inspiring and motivating their ensemble to perform above their heads. Isn't that ultimately what keeps us all coming back to the activity? Perhaps these people have already begun to make their mark and that spark of inspiration is what I am sensing on the video. The show has a wonderful range of musical variety. From the Gershwin to the Saint Saens, they seem to be trying to be less stodgy and pedantic that year’s past. Thank goodness. The front ensemble is much improved as is the writing and the integration into the entire musical offering.

The good things:

They sound good. Pretty #### good. We do not know how fatigued they are, how hands and chops were that day, etc.

The pacing seems good, though we of course do not see how the visual is integrated. The beginning strikes me as a bit odd and not super exciting, though I like it fine. It does seem to seem to fit the show persona. The use of march-able tempos is better that the past several seasons. The talent seems pretty even across all music sections, except perhaps mellophones.

My question marks:

The arrangements, for me, go from fresh to extremely ho-hum. I am well aware that a standstill performance usually makes the music less exciting and unclear at times as to its intent. The brass technique challenges do not seem to match those I have heard, albeit in snippets, from BD, Cadets, BC, SCV, Cavies, or BK. I will assume the electronic settings, samples, levels, and integration are in great flux and that this is in no way representative of what we will get in a month. The drum transitions seem a bit forced at this time.

Overall:

I think the musical offering has great potential and quick appeal. I am eager to see the total package. The uniforms, guard and musicians, seems appropriate to the music I am hearing.

Cheers PR, to a great 2015 season.

Edited by tigger2

My question marks:

The arrangements, for me, go from fresh to extremely ho-hum. I am well aware that a standstill performance usually makes the music less exciting and unclear at times as to its intent. The brass technique challenges do not seem to match those I have heard, albeit in snippets, from BD, Cadets, BC, SCV, Cavies, or BK. I will assume the electronic settings, samples, levels, and integration are in great flux and that this is in no way representative of what we will get in a month. The drum transitions seem a bit forced at this time.

Listen to the past 3 Music in the Park videos and then listen to the videos of them at Finals. The transitions that are used in Music in the Park rarely ever make it into the final product. I don't think that's something that will be worth worrying about.

As I said before, I believe this brass line is ready to rock n roll. Visual will obviously determine just how well they can control that music, but I think they have the players and the ensemble musicianship to be up there with anyone in brass. Percussion sounds good as well. I also think the music, which is already really good, does leave them room to add and layer instead of having to water down and trim. That might be a really good thing. It's early, but this sounds like it will be one of my favorite shows of the summer.

The last two years, Phantom had fallen completely off my radar. Forgettable programs. This, I am happy to say, is not one of them. It's a fairly chipper set of arrangements, and boy do they have a lot of faith in their drum line, apparently, as they carry much of the show. I love the unconventional Claire de Lune, and An American in Paris is going to be a showstopper. I can't wait to see this one in motion!

-Mike

Absolutely my feeling too. This year sounds and feels really good.