Hurricanes Announce 2015 Percussion Caption Head

vbc33

The Connecticut Hurricanes are pleased to announce their 2015 Percussion Caption Head.

Mr. G. James Miller holds a Master of Science Degree from Full Sail University (2011), a Master of Arts Degree in Music from Columbia University Teachers College (1985), and a Bachelor of Arts degree in Music from William Paterson College (1983). Mr. Miller has served in many of the tri-state area schools as an educator, writer, and clinician for over thirty five years.

His writing credits include percussion ensemble works performed by many colleges, universities and high schools. Mr. Miller's exercises and ensemble works have been published and distributed world-wide by Premier Percussion, as well as authoring two books on percussion technique and several articles published in trade magazines.

Mr. Miller has composed for and taught many drum and bugle corps such as the Skyliners (NY), Hurricanes (CT), Westshoremen (PA), Chieftains (PA), Bridgemen (NJ), the Star of Indiana (IN), and most notably the Bushwackers (NJ) - who were awarded the "Best Percussion" award at the DCA World Championships for five consecutive years. He has performed with the Hawthorne Muchachos, Fantasia III, and has earned a DCI High Percussion award with the Bayonne Bridgemen Drum & Bugle Corps. He is also currently on call staff of the Bridgemen Alumni Drum and Bugle Corps, and the Bridgeport PAL Drum Corps.

G. James Miller has been a finalist for the Teacher of the Year award in Stratford CT, where he is currently employed (since 1986) as the Director of Music at Frank Scott Bunnell High School. At Bunnell he directs the Wind Ensemble, Concert Band, the National Champion Indoor Drumline and the thirteen time Connecticut State Champion Marching Band. Additionally, Mr. Miller is an adjunct ECE Professor at the University of Connecticut.

Another good pick-up.

You guys are rocking.

The Hurcs have made great staff choices. That is part of the triangle with show design/show instruction.

The other missing side to be addressed must be membership as they have been getting smaller, except for the guard.

With the rising corps Cabs and Fusion not far away, previous director of Hurcs (now with Bush) calling out C2 for robbing his cradle, and Hopkins naming of John LeMire to C2 CG staff (does that end the Trumbull h.s. and alter ego pipeline of hurcs is what we do in the WGI offseason?) what numbers Hurcs are able to generate is still questionable. Contrary to some they are not the official DCA corps for New England or MAC band circuit. And with US Bands making greater in-roads into UConn, UNew Haven, UMass, and CT HS bands, Hurcs face some hurdles to show that they are relevant. Shelton and Derby aren't the feeders they were. And even Obama chose Ebola over going to Bridgeport.

Edited by xandandl

And even Obama chose Ebola over going to Bridgeport.

What an insulting thing to say ... Xanex ... is that your name? ... what's you claim to fame? ... you seem to talk a good game ... do we know each other? ...

Andy "BRIDGEPORT PAL CADETS" Lisko

just referring to his cancellation of the Malloy endorsement trip in order to do the Washington teleconference which could have been done on Air Force One where ever it was at the moment.

Story behind the story is that Stratford (former home of CT. Yankees) and other vicinities protested that they'd have to pay PD overtime and such for presidential visit out of their own budgets when it should have been coming out of the Malloy personal campaign budget. http://www.nhregister.com/government-and-politics/20141111/east-haven-new-haven-pay-security-tab-for-presidential-campaign-visits

Saving graces for Bridgeport are the ferry to L.I. (beautiful trip by the way) and that the Bridgeport PD chief is a SCV snare alum who went on to tech Garfield's battery for the 3-peat years and who still holds a bit teaching h.s drumlines and who does announcing at some shows.

nope, I have kept my distance.

Edited by xandandl

nope, I have kept my distance.

Good ... keep it that way ...

• Like 1

I'm excited for the Hurcs this year - the Ruocco/Krempanski/Thurston team produced (guided by Dennis Delucia of course) some of DCI's most memorable, accessible, performer stimulating, and crowd pleasing shows between 1990 and 1993 (or so).

The 1992 Crossmen show is an epic - classic play it over and over again type of show.

Beyond that, these are good people.

As a long time Hurc staff member and designer, I couldn't be more excited about the choices.

Anyone that knows me knows that I'm all about a renaissance of the big East Coast DCA corps - Hurcs, Sky, Sun, Rochester area corps. I love what DCA has done with the Midwest and South, but the activity needs the strong Northeast to keep the crowds engaged with enough quality corps per show, and 2 shows per weekend during the summer.

Bring it on, Hurcs!

• Like 1