SCVC Audition Question

xas

Hello!

I was just wondering how high the standard if for SCVC, do you have to be an extremely good marcher or player or both? I was thinking of starting to learn brass now (I know very very late) and auditioning for SCVC for at least some feedback.. Should I try going to the SCVC camp in December or try asking to see if I can go in January?

Thank you !

~xas

(I've already signed up for MySCV)

Edited by xas

Definitely come to the audition camp! What people forget is that most drum corps audition camps are also Clinics! The staff looks for people who are willing to learn and have a great attitude. If the staff sees that you want to learn and they see your potential, who knows what will happen? Yes playing and marching are a main part of this activity. In my past 2 years with the corps, I've seen many members who learned how to march, and learn how to play a brass instrument for the first time.

If you can go, go! I learned a ton at that first camp. There were plenty of woodwind players (saxes, clarinets, even some double reed players) who became some of the best members of the corps this year. If you're dedicated, they'll take that.

If at all possible, attend the 2 workshops this month! 11/16 and 11/23 at the corps hall. You can get a basic understanding of the marching technique used and a look at what the brass blocks will be like.