Erie PA

First off, the venue:

Veteran Stadium is an extremely old field (My grandpa played football there), but in very good condition. Individual seats with backrests and steep enough to see just fine. No parking at all as far as I could see, but the shuttles were fast and clean with very nice drivers.

BTW no full retreat at this show, I don't think there was enough room to have the corps wait outside the field.

Thunderbirds: Because of the shuttles I didn't get to see the show, just them walking off the field, but they got a big warm standing O.

Lake Erie Regiment: Their home show. They were by far the smallest corps out there, but looked good. The announcer mentioned that they were formed in '93, so I hope the program continues to grow successfully. They are sponsored by a few local companies and looks like they could field a larger corps in the future. The show was recieved well by the hometown crowd.

Esperanza: I was very suprised with this show, wow. Best div. 2/3 I'd heard all season. Good size, music had good moments and drill was designed well for the show. Bravo

Patriots: Another great div. 2/3 corps, I really liked the opener and everything was performed well, but some parts of the show seemed weaker than others. Maybe they're just working on some cleaning.

Kavaliers: An enjoyable program, the audience really liked the music (The beatles: it's before my time). Nothing was particularly outstanding about the show, fairly good design and execution. The guard did seem to do a whole lot more dancing than anything else. I did see a few rifle drops, but that didn't seem to phase the members at all.

Capital Regiment: A difficult show that is starting to be performed very well. It is dynamic and interesting with a great percussion line. Brass sounded alright, and guard looks a lot better than last time I saw them. IMO they could be finishing the season in 14th, give or take a spot.

Colts: A good solid show, maybe a little hard to get into, but I liked the theme. Ritual, Song, and Dance were all translated intelligently onto the field. Capital's design is putting them right on their heels, but the Colt's members are still performing well enough to stay ahead.

Magic of Orlando: I love Holsinger music, and I love this show. Great percussion line, and very good brass. I didn't really notice the guard much, not to say they were bad, just didn't seem to catch my eye. A challenging show that is being performed great, I could watch it over and over.

Crossmen: Entertaining, and also entertaining. I like the show (the rest of the crowd LOVED the show) and think it is being sold wonderfully. however, I don't think it's good enough to beat Boston, Madison, or Bluecoats like everyone there last night thought it was. Very good music, but visually bland. I dislike the ending, it says to me "please stand up, we wont stop holding this note until you stand up." BTW, I feel sorry for the cymbals moving the drum racks around for the whole closer.

Bluecoats: The general public doesn't think this show is as fun to watch as Crossmen, but I disagree. There is SO MUCH stuff going on. One of the most elaborate visual programs I've seen. The drill isn't as demading as the BD or anything, but the choreography is so well done. Musically the show is smart and difficult. Great percussion, esp. pit; and cymbals are excellent with many clean and sharp visuals and techniques. Brass sounds good, but not as loud as they have in years past. Guard is improving tremendously and selling the show very well. Kudos to Bluecoats, one of the smartest designed shows I've seen this season.

Santa Clara Vanguard: Call me crazy, but I really like this show. It's strange, but where some call it boring, I call it extremely refined. Okay, so its slow sometimes, but extremely difficult and it feels like everything they play was meant to go into the same show. Maybe it's just because I've been listening to clips of it a lot, but I like it. Percussion is phenomenol, brass sounds excellent, and guard is really great. Cymbals deserve mention, very sharp and clean, great sound. Best of luck to the injured snare player.

Crossmen: Entertaining, and also entertaining. I like the show (the rest of the crowd LOVED the show) and think it is being sold wonderfully. however, I don't think it's good enough to beat Boston, Madison, or Bluecoats like everyone there last night thought it was. Very good music, but visually bland. I dislike the ending, it says to me "please stand up, we wont stop holding this note until you stand up." BTW, I feel sorry for the cymbals moving the drum racks around for the whole closer.

Well. . . you can't please everyone. . . but judging be the applause and excitement in the stands this year we came close. . .

Take me out with one shot if I ever arrange a boring show. . . life's too short.

Chuck Naffier

Crossmen Brass Arranger

Drum Corps Fan (though less and less)

The scores may be right or wrong, but the Crossmen have never left me with the the feeling that I didn't get my money's worth. The Crossmen bleed drum Corps entertainment with this poster. I am not alone. Hope the brass arranger above doesn't change a thing with what he is doing with the Crossmen music arrangements in the future. He should be very proud of his work. It is first rate in entertainment value, and his kids really get into it and enjoy it. That's more than enough for me.

Edited by starting line

I am sorry for all of those who mistook my Crossmen review for dislike. I really did thoroughly enjoy it and don't think it should be changed. My quarell is not with the corps/show/arranger or any of the like. I have a problem with the fans that think because of its entertainment value they should win. The only thing I don't like musically about the show is the very end, I just feel like I'm being told to like the show when in fact the show already won me. My apologies to anyone who took offense. Mr. Naffier, thank you for a great arrangement.

Chuck - any plans for a finals week speech to match last year's? I got a chance to watch the semifinals video the other night - we sure did have emotion and an extra edge to our sound that night...

Chuck - any plans for a finals week speech to match last year's? I got a chance to watch the semifinals video the other night - we sure did have emotion and an extra edge to our sound that night...

Heya Matt,

Truth be told, I never plan to do those. . . they are always spur of the moment. . . depends on the mood of the group, the pace of the rehearsal, etc.

I never had to do those in 2001. . . just as a point of reference.

:sshh: :sshh: :sshh:

You coming down to Orlando?

Chuck

I am sorry for all of those who mistook my Crossmen review for dislike. I really did thoroughly enjoy it and don't think it should be changed. My quarell is not with the corps/show/arranger or any of the like. I have a problem with the fans that think because of its entertainment value they should win. The only thing I don't like musically about the show is the very end, I just feel like I'm being told to like the show when in fact the show already won me. My apologies to anyone who took offense. Mr. Naffier, thank you for a great arrangement.

No offense taken.

The ending is actually quite in the vein of MANY classic drum corps endings. . . 5 come immediately to mind. . .

1980 Madison Scouts

1980 Cavaliers

1980 Spirit of Atlanta

1997 Crossmen

1997 Madison Scouts

There are 3 ways to end a show.

Loud and rhythmic.

Loud and sustained.

Soft.

(0kay -- 4 -- if you count the 1997 Cavaliers)

Point being, it is not pandering to a lowest common denominator by playing long and loud. It is playing to drum corps traditions, audience appeal, and is a unique music effect in a world of too many Cadet-wanna-be endings. . . I mean. . . how many mellophone runs can you write? Why? (and I've written a few of those too)

The Crossmen borrowing from themselves (1997) is directly influenced by the Don Ellis chart "Niner Two" from the "Live at Montreux" recording. Don Ellis had the band play that last note forEVER! And it got exactly the same response from the jazz fans at his concerts. . . they went nuts!

Not a bad model, eh?

my best,

Chuck Naffier

Crossmen Brass Arranger

:rolleyes::blink::blink:

You coming down to Orlando?

Chuck

I will be in Orlando Thursday-Sunday staying in downtown Orlando. I don't think I'll be able to get to any Crossmen rehearsals down in Cocoa Beach though since I'll be relying on public transportation for the weekend. But I will see the corps tonight in West Chester and Saturday in Allentown as well.

arrangerX wrote:

(Bluefan @ Jul 31 2003, 03:27 AM)

No offense taken.

The ending is actually quite in the vein of MANY classic drum corps endings. . . 5 come immediately to mind. . .

1980 Madison Scouts

1980 Cavaliers

1980 Spirit of Atlanta

1997 Crossmen

1997 Madison Scouts

There are 3 ways to end a show.

Loud and rhythmic.

Loud and sustained.

Soft.

(0kay -- 4 -- if you count the 1997 Cavaliers)

Point being, it is not pandering to a lowest common denominator by playing long and loud. It is playing to drum corps traditions, audience appeal, and is a unique music effect in a world of too many Cadet-wanna-be endings. . . I mean. . . how many mellophone runs can you write? Why? (and I've written a few of those too)

We could add Bridgemen (late 1970s) to the "long and loud ending" list also. :beer: