Madison in Macy's Parade

That video of Madison singing "You'll Never Walk Alone" after the parade is really wonderful. I'm all verklempt now...

One thing that's kind of funny after watching all the videos, you start to recognize people you've seen on the DCI DVD's. I think I saw a couple of the pirates from the '97 guard.

Edited by Lincoln

Yes. It's been mentioned by others already. Plus, his partner started off with an error. With the millions they earn each year, going over the script for the next group, singer, etc. while the current group, singer, etc. is on camera shouldn't be too hard to ask.

Not a fan of that NBC bunch... they are way too cutesy for my taste. I agree. Speak correctly.

• Like 2

Look, people can be critical for Madison not using tv to their advantage, critquing the screamers, Lauer's slip, etc, but let's keep our eyes on the big picture here for a second:

Who was the last DCI corps, current members, alumni members, current and alumni members, ringers whatever to march in the 2nd best known parade in the world? ( Rose Bowl being first)

I'll wait for the answer.

I hear crickets

Right...I hear crickets because no one has done it. Not any of the vaunted east coast corps past or present, and no one else. I know of 3 DCA corps that have in the past ( Cabs, Skyliners and Matadors), but that's it,

So Madison performed in Macys with a huge ####### corps, and got more eyes on DCI corps than the entire summer tour does every year.

That's the important thing

• Like 2

Look, people can be critical for Madison not using tv to their advantage, critquing the screamers, Lauer's slip, etc, but let's keep our eyes on the big picture here for a second:

Who was the last DCI corps, current members, alumni members, current and alumni members, ringers whatever to march in the 2nd best known parade in the world? ( Rose Bowl being first)

I'll wait for the answer.

I hear crickets

Right...I hear crickets because no one has done it. Not any of the vaunted east coast corps past or present, and no one else. I know of 3 DCA corps that have in the past ( Cabs, Skyliners and Matadors), but that's it,

So Madison performed in Macys with a huge ####### corps, and got more eyes on DCI corps than the entire summer tour does every year.

That is very true, but you also have to pay attention to what TYPE of impression they made when performing at a national scale. Yes, they were on TV, but that doesn't necessarily assure that they got attention, which is why I think Brutus had some good points. I agree any exposure at all is good, but I don't think it's wrong for a little criticism on the execution. They got some time on the air and millions of people probably saw it, but were the viewers pulled in or did their eyes glaze over? For everyone on this board and any other DCI fans, this is a huge deal and so obviously everyone involved in the activity is excited about it, but the goal is to attract new fans to DCI.

Here's a wonderful video from the parade route that I like a lot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kuqerbm5I-U&feature=share

I love the description posted with that video: "OMG these guys took it so serious ... they did a great job ... love it".

• Like 1

I thought the Madison Scouts did a great job considering the massive amount of alumni and current performers they were working with. I am sure all of the alumni (some in their 60's and 70's) did the best they could in some unfortunate conditions. I really think the negative critiquing should be stopped as the performance is now history. I am sure it was a very special moment for all current and former Scouts who were able to participate. Congratulations Madison Scouts on a job well done!

Thanks to those that appreciated our performance, it was the experience of a lifetime getting to perform with my brothers that came before me, that taught me, that I marched with, that have come after me and are keeping the corps going.

It's funny too, because we have people on here criticizing, yet all over facebook I'm seeing messages from JD Shaw, John Meehan, Daniel Wiles, Dean Westman, Robert W Smith, etc congratulating us. And the millions along the route, and others on tv, facebook, twitter, etc as well that enjoyed it.

Edited by tesmusic
  • Like 3

It's AN important thing, no doubt. So is quality. So is presentation. So are a lot of things. And look, they were overwhelmingly well received by drum corps fans and the like, so who the heck cares if people decided to take a more critical look at things which could have been done better? If all we're looking for are roses being thrown at our feet, the activity will go nowhere. And let's not mistake these relatively minor critcisms (in contrast to all the things they did well in this parade) for nastiness or dickishness. I've seen none of that in this thread, or anywhere else for that matter. Take the critcism for what it is. Or don't, and move on. But enough with the hyper-defensiveness. Overall, they were great. It was good for DCI. And there are things which can be learned from their performance to make things better for the next corps to do it. That's all.

Resume your turkey sandwich leftovers! :tounge2:

• Like 1

but the goal is to attract new fans to DCI.

As I said before, was it really? Maybe somewhere in the list of goals for the Scouts, but not the priority.

Loaded question: Cadets at the 96 Olympics. Did it do anything to help? Anything? My cringe over that show they were made to do live still hasn't reached its half life and I'm still wincing in embarrassment every time I think of it.

I'm most certainly not wincing about Madison at Macy's. No narrator with some powder-fluff cornyfied dumbed down plot and much pointless and embarrassing prancing about. It was bang, pow, sock, kaboom! As it should have been.

• Like 1