Madison in Macy's Parade

Oh, my. Just stumbled across another video supposedly of the parade that's actually video of a guy watching and commenting on the parade for more than two hours. (It includes an extended rant, in which he is joined by a girlfriend, about how outraged they are that Annie has been cast with an African-American girl--because everybody knows Annie is Caucasian. I'm not signing up for a Youtube account just to add a comment that while everyone knows the characters in Macbeth are Scottish, that didn't stop Orson Welles from famously creating a very successful version with a African-American cast set in Haiti ... in 1937. Apparently these people have never heard the phrase colorblind casting before.) Apparently these kinds of videos are a thing, since I'm finding a few of them for various events. Who watches something like that? (Asks the fellow who loves to read film reviews.) In another, the woman watching the parade refers to the Scouts as a "corpse".

Isn't that the MacBeth with witch doctors for the three witches? Kind of remember John Houseman talking about that in the 70s. Something about one night the theater manager called Houseman about the witch doctors raising Hell one night after the show opened. IIRC they were REAL witch doctors and putting a curse on someone (bad review?) that night. Nothing like new spins on stuff.

Would it have been better for Drum Corps as a general activity, DCI as a governing body within that activity, or the Madison Scouts organization itself if there had been no appearance (and resulting media/live observer/national audience attention) in this parade?

Personally, I think not.

Would it have been better for Drum Corps as a general activity, DCI as a governing body within that activity, or the Madison Scouts organization itself if there had been no appearance (and resulting media/live observer/national audience attention) in this parade?

Personally, I think not.

Why even ask that question? Is anyone saying or even implying that?

Why even ask that question? Is anyone saying or even implying that?

No, Seen. But I think that nearly 17 pages of back-and-forth conjecture debating the merits of the coverage, how the coverage was accomplished, and attention paid to a few words spoken in error or mis-pronounced on the parts of television newscasters/celebrities has overshadowed or detracted from the basic positive nature of the Madison Scouts' appearance and televised coverage in regards to the 2014 Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. And until CBS, ABC, or FOX television is willing to pick up the coverage of an "Indianapolis Motor Speedway/Lucas Oil Stadium Thanksgiving Day Parade" featuring nothing other than parade units representing the various organizations currently under the umbrella of "DCI" (although maybe including large balloons of Jim Jones, Gayle Royer, Dean Acheson, et. al.), I think what we currently saw a few days ago stands to act alone as a positive action.

• Like 1

HT, IMO we've always had the Monday Morning quarterbacks who know what everyone else should have done or all too quick to point out others mistakes.

Now with the Internet they can "tell the world" how much smarter they are.

Just reminds me of a certain extended family member who had to top eveything you said. If you went to a nice place on vacation they had to tell you about the nicer place they went. Finally realized how insecure they were and the "topping" was part of it. Now I don't get irritated by it, I feel sorry fir them.

No, Seen. But I think that nearly 17 pages of back-and-forth conjecture debating the merits of the coverage, how the coverage was accomplished, and attention paid to a few words spoken in error or mis-pronounced on the parts of television newscasters/celebrities has overshadowed or detracted from the basic positive nature of the Madison Scouts' appearance and televised coverage in regards to the 2014 Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.

I don't think that at all. Nobody can take away what people felt watching them perform, or what the performers themselves felt. And the overwhelming majority of drum corps fans probably don't even read DCP or care about what was said in one thread about it.

I think what we currently saw a few days ago stands to act alone as a positive action.

So do I. And 17 or however many pages of predominantly positive comments is a testament to that. Take the criticisms for what they're worth to you, or ignore them and move on. There's more than enough positive reactions to their performance to keep the good vibes going for a long time. It's all good. :smile:

Edited by seen-it-all

No, Seen. But I think that nearly 17 pages of back-and-forth conjecture debating the merits of the coverage, how the coverage was accomplished, and attention paid to a few words spoken in error or mis-pronounced on the parts of television newscasters/celebrities has overshadowed or detracted from the basic positive nature of the Madison Scouts' appearance and televised coverage in regards to the 2014 Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. And until CBS, ABC, or FOX television is willing to pick up the coverage of an "Indianapolis Motor Speedway/Lucas Oil Stadium Thanksgiving Day Parade" featuring nothing other than parade units representing the various organizations currently under the umbrella of "DCI" (although maybe including large balloons of Jim Jones, Gayle Royer, Dean Acheson, et. al.), I think what we currently saw a few days ago stands to act alone as a positive action.

It's a parade for a major retailer. It always has been. People can say all they want, but in the end it's a parade for a major retailer.

it's not even an actual parade based on the tv cameras. The groups rush in (look at the pace of the performance just before their spot on tv), do what they can based on what the retailer and network decide and leave. You can't even see the size of the group because of the camera work - the same for every marching group.

That one video on YouTube from the early morning parade sessions shows how small the actual performance space is.

After Madison performed I'm surprised the windows on either side of that performance area didn't shatter.

• Like 1

The real parade had actually ended - it didn't even go past Macy's. We walked over a block or two and reset everything for that last dash down the narrow street.

Edited by MadScout80

It's too late for the 2015 Rose Bowl, but it sure would be great if Boston could follow the Scouts and be part of next year's Macy's Parade during their 75th year. A great way to follow up their inaugural parade gig.

A big well done to everyone involved with the Scouts performance and a life time of great memories.

HT, IMO we've always had the Monday Morning quarterbacks who know what everyone else should have done or all too quick to point out others mistakes.

Now with the Internet they can "tell the world" how much smarter they are.

Just reminds me of a certain extended family member who had to top eveything you said. If you went to a nice place on vacation they had to tell you about the nicer place they went. Finally realized how insecure they were and the "topping" was part of it. Now I don't get irritated by it, I feel sorry fir them.

I am sincerely sorry, Jim, if I gave the appearance of being one of these "Monday Morning Quarterbacks."

My apology is genuine and real.