Audition: Phantom or Cavies

In the coming season, I plan on auditioning for one of these corps but I would like to be sure for which one. If there are any alumni from either corps or current members that could give me an insight of what their respective corps is like whether it be during rehearsal or any other detail that you could state it would be greatly appreciated. Not just about rehearsal related things, but also of other things that you believe may make the corps stand out from the other or anything you believe would help with the decision.

Thank you.

edit: I plan on auditioning on Bari/Euph and a male :wink:

Edited by frankv

If you want to talk with current Cavalier members, you should join one of these Facebook groups. You can ask any questions you want and get answers from the guys who live it every day.

Brass: https://www.facebook.com/groups/830991826925629/

(I'm assuming you're not looking to join the color guard.)
Edited by jpaul

The Cavaliers have more fun and get more done in less rehearsal time because they use their time efficiently. The staff and administration largely treats the members like adults. The group is fed well, receives tons of long water breaks, and generally keeps things in perspective. The Cavaliers largely laugh in the face of, and ignore the ridiculous militaristic crap that drum corps still do that make them "bando".

Then there is the Phantom Regiment.................

• Like 3

The Cavaliers have more fun and get more done in less rehearsal time because they use their time efficiently. The staff and administration largely treats the members like adults. The group is fed well, receives tons of long water breaks, and generally keeps things in perspective. The Cavaliers largely laugh in the face of, and ignore the ridiculous militaristic crap that drum corps still do that make them "bando".

Then there is the Phantom Regiment.................

I think many other corps supporters on DCP would say you could insert any other corps names where you have "Cavaliers", and still be equally descriptive of an MM's experience, although the comment "laugh in the face of, and ignore the ridiculous militaristic crap that drum corps still do" is a head scratcher. How does that make them "bando"? Not seeing a connection.
  • Like 2

In the coming season, I plan on auditioning for one of these corps but I would like to be sure for which one. If there are any alumni from either corps or current members that could give me an insight of what their respective corps is like whether it be during rehearsal or any other detail that you could state it would be greatly appreciated. Not just about rehearsal related things, but also of other things that you believe may make the corps stand out from the other or anything you believe would help with the decision.

Thank you.

edit: I plan on auditioning on Bari/Euph

Question #1....are you male or female? :augen51: The answer to that might make your choice a lot easier!

• Like 3

Just an observation from someone who has sponsored candidates in each of these two corps and had positive experiences in the corps they marched:

Cavaliers operate as a fraternity of brothers and are the social butterflies of the drum corps scene; they not only have the h.s. band girls drooping over every move the Green guys do, or go, or think about, but they do and have friends in all the corps of the activity and can be seen visiting with them often along tour. Of course, the corps is just guys and how you can deal with that or survive that for Spring training until the day after finals has a bearing. I believe the corps' "socializing" with so many others along tour is a healthy outlet to the all male environment on tour. Cavaliers also give a major prominence to their alumni relations, the older brothers of their fraternity.

On the other hand, Regiment is said to be a "phamily" and also builds strong bonds between the individual members of their unit. However, the current administration keeps the corps so tightly bound that rarely does one see a Regiment member mingling with others from other corps along the way. It impresses some as almost cult-like shepherding, some years looking from outside in as more of a home-schooled, even dysfunctional family vibe. Here I am not referring to the custom of corps like Cadets or others to always have uniformed members in pairs wherever they are in public, often referred as going in twos. The past few seasons this has been less so. But it is wondered in the activity if this may be a major reason why Phantom suffers from such heavy volume failure in retention of members. Last year's corps had over a hundred rookies but eventually became a very tight phamily (witness their end of season video with their conductor saying some awesome things as narrator.)

Personally, I have had professional relationships with both corps, more positive general memories of the Cavs but equally good memories save for one with PR. Who the corps is for 2015 has much to do with the choices of people like you. Good luck.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 3

Just an observation from someone who has sponsored candidates in each of these two corps and had positive experiences in the corps they marched:

Cavaliers operate as a fraternity of brothers and are the social butterflies of the drum corps scene; they not only have the h.s. band girls drooping over every move the Green guys do, or go, or think about, but they do and have friends in all the corps of the activity and can be seen visiting with them often along tour. Of course, the corps is just guys and how you can deal with that or survive that for Spring training until the day after finals has a bearing. I believe the corps' "socializing" with so many others along tour is a healthy outlet to the all male environment on tour. Cavaliers also give a major prominence to their alumni relations, the older brothers of their fraternity.

On the other hand, Regiment is said to be a "phamily" and also builds strong bonds between the individual members of their unit. However, the current administration keeps the corps so tightly bound that rarely does one see a Regiment member mingling with others from other corps along the way. It impresses some as almost cult-like shepherding, some years looking from outside in as more of a home-schooled, even dysfunctional family vibe. Here I am not referring to the custom of corps like Cadets or others to always have uniformed members in pairs wherever they are in public, often referred as going in twos. The past few seasons this has been less so. But it is wondered in the activity if this may be a major reason why Phantom suffers from such heavy volume failure in retention of members. Last year's corps had over a hundred rookies but eventually became a very tight phamily (witness their end of season video with their conductor saying some awesome things as narrator.)

Personally, I have had professional relationships with both corps, more positive general memories of the Cavs but equally good memories save for one with PR. Who the corps is for 2015 has much to do with the choices of people like you. Good luck.

Disagree with the bold section. They do have time in the lot to mingle and talk to other corps members. They definitely are one of the more self-controlled corps in public. I know they have always marched in pairs (until last year maybe?).

I've spoken with a few Cavies who say that their first year is rough. They definitely have to earn their keep. Very fraternity-like.

Edited by chaos001
  • Like 2

It's true that in the Phantom Regiment is very strict. It has military roots plus we are VERY rooted in tradition, so it makes sense that it would have a "regimented" style. Did I ever, once in a while, get tired of how serious things were all the time? Sure. Do i regret a single second of it? NOPE! Being in the Regiment taught me how to push through the hardest, most difficult moments of my life with strength, courage, and poise, even when I thought it was impossible. Being a part of such a rich tradition and a true family is also a pretty awesome perk. All it takes is a "SUTA" to be best friends with someone you've never met. Not saying that Cavies won't do the same thing for you, but I can only speak to the Regiment side. We may not get 10-minute water breaks and a million full free days, but it makes you feel pretty hardcore knowing what you were able to accomplish over the summer. I wouldn't trade it for anything. You just have to decide which style fits you or will help you the most. I wasn't used to being pushed so hard. My style and personality very well may have fit better at Cavies, but being at Regiment helped me in areas of my life that I needed help in. I'm more confident, bold, and resilient than i thought I ever could be thanks to the Regiment.

• Like 3

I have never marched with either Cavies or PR, but I will share a few observations. Keep in mind I'm probably in the same age range of your parents.

PR has presented some of my favorite shows, the more classically oriented the show, the more I enjoy it. While I love PR' shows, I have not been all that impressed with watching them rehearse. I have no problem with high standards or being demanding, but when I have watched rehearsals, I have been less than impressed with some of the ways staff has treated marching members. Not all staff, but a few. However, when I've talked with kids who march with PR at shows, they love everything about their experience. Now I have not witnessed the laid back atmosphere that one person used to describe a Cavies rehearsal actually I thought the rehearsals were pretty grueling, but there was a respect for the matching members from staff members. My observations are not recent (two years ago for PR, one year for Cavies), and perhaps I saw an off day for PR and a spot on day for Cavies, but you may need to be thick skinned if you march with PR.

Edited by Tim K
  • Like 1