2014 Fan Network Videos....

So it's currently 3:55 AM and I'm studying and was listening to some DCI shows and noticed that DCI made their post-season changes to the videos and I couldn't help but notice how awful the shows sound now.... It sounds like they toned down all the low brass, the percussion is a bit subdued, and the shows overall sound super-processed. As an example, listen to BD's closer on a good pair of headphones. When they form a block at the end and do a brief scatter before coming back into form, there's a small percussion break and for some weird reason, IT'S 20X QUIETER THAN EVERYTHING BEFORE AND AFTER IT.

It's late so maybe that's why I'm being overly cranky about it but they really ruined half of the 2014 shows with their edits. The hornlines sound lifeless. BD's and Cadet's show (I can't hear any of the great musical details in that show that I was able to before in the percussion and horn solos) seem to have been affected the most.

Is there a chance that DCI will fix this at all or are these the final versions?

Edited by Cappybara

The Blue Devils change is probably because they were not able to secure a license for the samples they used during that section... It's actually pretty amazing that they were able to do what they did, whether they were able to sample a recording without the samples an seamlessly edit it in or (more likely) EQ out the samples using different microphones, and I'm guessing it will probably be the same on the DVD/Blu-Rays when they come out.

This could spark a whole debate about whether corps using all of this licensed music is ruining DCI again, but I think in the end it's all up to the corps themselves. We will probably see DCI getting more and more strict about corps securing the rights before the season starts, closer to what WGI does.

The Blue Devils change is probably because they were not able to secure a license for the samples they used during that section... It's actually pretty amazing that they were able to do what they did, whether they were able to sample a recording without the samples an seamlessly edit it in or (more likely) EQ out the samples using different microphones, and I'm guessing it will probably be the same on the DVD/Blu-Rays when they come out.

This could spark a whole debate about whether corps using all of this licensed music is ruining DCI again, but I think in the end it's all up to the corps themselves. We will probably see DCI getting more and more strict about corps securing the rights before the season starts, closer to what WGI does.

Makes sense. I wish I had downloaded the 2014 videos before they made all the changes. I'll be sure to do so next year before they make all their changes to the 2015 shows.

And yes DCI I think it's time DCI got serious about this. Having 3 minutes of someone's show taken out is absolutely ridiculous.

Makes sense. I wish I had downloaded the 2014 videos before they made all the changes. I'll be sure to do so next year before they make all their changes to the 2015 shows.

And yes DCI I think it's time DCI got serious about this. Having 3 minutes of someone's show taken out is absolutely ridiculous.

I learned my lesson after I ordered my 2008 DVD's after the cuts were made to Phantom =(

I know people were definitely already ripping the videos and they'll always be out there and probably not too hard to find with enough effort but anymore talk like that will probably get this post removed.

And to credit DCI, I know they've been getting stricter about it and this one may come down to a sync rights issue. Really I can't be completely sure as copyright law is such a complex minefield in the US.

I learned my lesson when Madison had Empire State of Mind :tongue: i may or may not have them now :wink:

I learned my lesson after I ordered my 2008 DVD's after the cuts were made to Phantom =(

I know people were definitely already ripping the videos and they'll always be out there and probably not too hard to find with enough effort but anymore talk like that will probably get this post removed.

And to credit DCI, I know they've been getting stricter about it and this one may come down to a sync rights issue. Really I can't be completely sure as copyright law is such a complex minefield in the US.

I hadn't heard this; how are they getting stricter? Is there a policy or procedure change?