Staff Performance Reactions at Finals

I always kinda like watching the vids to watch the staff go nuts at certain times....kinda missed that in 86, when you couldn't see them.

They put just as much work into the shows as the performers do...and finals night is the last time those shows will ever be performed (semis for some corps). They've done all the can...at that point, they ARE just spectators.

Yes, they should stay down on the field for their corps...but we should require them to be unemotional robots???

No thanks...I say let them react like human beings.

I think I'll go watch Star's 1990 staff now...always fun.

• Like 3

Does anyone else miss seeing the staff down on the field at finals, well most years before LOS, where the staff was in front of the corps by the DM jumping up and down and celebrating the corps?

I always enjoyed watching that on the videos and miss seeing it, now that most of them go into the stands.

you mean the ones not pacing back and forth all buy coaching?

yeah it could be fun to watch and see

If your attention span is too short that you're paying more attention to the staff going bonkers than paying attention to the actual show, then maybe you should go watch the Opera instead.

It's a DRUM CORPS SHOW. It's not meant to be an uptight example of keeping the crowd quiet. People are meant to go crazy, the staff included.

People yelling during the "quiet" part of a performance is irritating. People with their crying infant kids are irritating. People on their smartphones are irritating. People clapping are irritating. Life is irritating.

Seriously. Maybe you guys find it distracting, but I'm usually too busy going crazy myself at a drum corps show to even know WHERE ANY corps staff is. I just think there is too much of a big deal being made about people cheering on their corps.

I agree: if an audience member is more concerned with a staff's reaction to their students' performance, then perhaps they should stick to watching drum corps at home. It's common knowledge (I thought) that performers feed off of the crowd, and when the crowd gives it up for performers the performers respond by giving more. When I was a MM I knew that generally our staff only gave it up when we 'earned' it, and at times when it was noticeable that they were getting hyped for a performance it meant more than placements and scores ever did. As a fan I cheer when I feel moved (not during quiet parts), and to be blunt I don't care what other audience members/staffers think or how they react. None of that really bugs me or thrills me either way, and why should I care about how others choose to react to a performance?

I always kinda like watching the vids to watch the staff go nuts at certain times....kinda missed that in 86, when you couldn't see them.

They put just as much work into the shows as the performers do...and finals night is the last time those shows will ever be performed (semis for some corps). They've done all the can...at that point, they ARE just spectators.

Yes, they should stay down on the field for their corps...but we should require them to be unemotional robots???

No thanks...I say let them react like human beings.

I think I'll go watch Star's 1990 staff now...always fun.

Even watching on the fan network you can tell that is the performance that most staffs can only dream about, not too mention it all coming together like that on finals night. From a certain point of view the staff is more emotionally invested than the members are...let them celebrate that moment any day of the week.

• Like 1

If the staff should be there as spectators, then shouldn't they be cheering as well? And shouldn't that be ok?

I mean, when I go to a DCI show, I don't want to sit on my hands and wait for the performance to be over and then politely clap. If I did, I would go to Orchestra Hall.

If the staff should be there as spectators, then shouldn't they be cheering as well? And shouldn't that be ok?

I mean, when I go to a DCI show, I don't want to sit on my hands and wait for the performance to be over and then politely clap. If I did, I would go to Orchestra Hall.

Or watch a BD show.

TOTALLY JOKING.

On a side note, in indoor percussion, I have had to teach our parents and show the love and excitement as fans. It's not that they weren't excited. When we re-launched the schools' winter program, they would literally roll their eyes whisper at my wife and the few experienced fans. They asked me at a parent night if my wife and others weren't being rude and impolite, and shouldn't she tone it down and hold applause?

NO! This activity needs to continue to embrace the passion.

Staff included.

:dancin:

perhaps, Mingus, you might explore the Monk side of your personality.

Silence can be Golden.

It's not that staff are deprived the right to be human. I think the complaint is when the staff becomes the performance rather than the corps. Do the corps members see it and become affected? Sometimes. But more often the paying public doesn't have their rights respected after paying the staff's salaries through their ticket prices so that the show can deliver the cheques to DCI and the corps to pay the bills. God knows Garfield (the poster, not the corps) has reminded all DCPers that the activity needs be mindful of who pays the bills.

Edited by xandandl

perhaps, Mingus, you might explore the Monk side of your personality.

Silence can be Golden.

It's not that staff are deprived the right to be human. I think the complaint is when the staff becomes the performance rather than the corps. Do the corps members see it and become affected? Sometimes. But more often the paying public doesn't have their rights respected after paying the staff's salaries through their ticket prices so that the show can deliver the cheques to DCI and the corps to pay the bills. God knows Garfield (the poster, not the corps) has reminded all DCPers that the activity needs be mindful of who pays the bills.

No need to be obtuse. I was not condoning the yelling of GO SAAAAAALLLLLLYYYYY during the ballad. Are you asking for silence and sitting tunnel to tunnel? No you are not. It's reasonable to assume that this is not what you are saying. Seems obvious I am not calling for the nonsense of intrusive non-sequiter cheering. But passionate staff is a good thing. As simple as that. The collective silence of LOS during Hymn of Acxiom touched the soul. It was appropriate and beautiful. Everyone understands that there is a time for it. But I don't fault staff bringing their passion to the stadium. More often than not, if somebody has a problem with it, it says more about them than it says the staff.

• Like 2

People yelling during the "quiet" part of a performance is irritating. People with their crying infant kids are irritating. People on their smartphones are irritating. People clapping are irritating. Life is irritating.

Seriously. Maybe you guys find it distracting, but I'm usually too busy going crazy myself at a drum corps show to even know WHERE ANY corps staff is. I just think there is too much of a big deal being made about people cheering on their corps.

And yes, I was dead serious about what I said about trying to impress Gino. It was his first year with the corps and he had very high standards. Ask anyone else who marched the hornline in 2000 and they'll tell you the same thing.

Dude, I don't doubt it. And it showed. I've told you before, "Incredible".

In an activity that promotes such avante guard concepts as competitive, interpretive drum corps, to have a staff member frolicking around on the sidelines is tantamount to the ballet director standing on stage and applauding for his dancers.

I agree with all of those irritations you listed. Just, everybody, shut up and let me be engrossed in the show.

I don't think that's asking too much. Really.