Staff Performance Reactions at Finals

Again, I appreciate their enthusiasm, of course. Seeing "your baby" come to life in the hands of "your kids" is a rush I've not experienced enough in my life. But, during a performance in front of fans, staff should be invisible.

That seems to be the crux of it. It's not something you've experienced. Staff members still put in the long days in hot weather perfecting a product just as much as the kids do. Especially when they have to co-ordinate full sections or even full captions. So seeing the end product after 70~ days of hard work, they deserve to show that emotion and enjoy the final product. I'm sorry that it annoys you, but the staff should get to have emotions at Finals like everyone else.

• Like 4

That seems to be the crux of it. It's not something you've experienced. Staff members still put in the long days in hot weather perfecting a product just as much as the kids do. Especially when they have to co-ordinate full sections or even full captions. So seeing the end product after 70~ days of hard work, they deserve to show that emotion and enjoy the final product. I'm sorry that it annoys you, but the staff should get to have emotions at Finals like everyone else.

I agree,within reason, I think it just comes down to some sort of respect for people around you and this goes for the paying customer as well.

AS far as a paying customer. There are many in the activity that give way more than the price of a ticket. Priceless hours of teaching ( many without pay ) cooks, drivers, etc etc WAY MORE than the price of a ticket , so I do agree with your last line.

I'd like to see more emotion demonstrated by the fans in the stands to shows. Thats more of an issue of late than staff showing animated, honest emotion, down around the track below during and / or after their Corps performances. Heck, even George Hopkins of the Cadets himself is on public record as stating that DCI audiences in his view are not as enthusiastic at shows for the DCI Corps performance as they once were. So while this thread topic is interesting regarding staffs display of emotion at shows, its not the more relevent issue that George Hopkins ( and others ) have been noticing of late regarding this topic issue of the level of emotion on display and witnessed at DCI shows.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

yup, as the prices have gone up, the fans have become more snooty and demanding.

Many are spectators (literally) rather than rabid fans; the show is their only in person viewing for most; corps have to be spot on (Box 6) to get their adulation. Watching the FN is much more a cerebral and private response so the crowd is unaccustomed with becoming visceral in affirmation.

On the other hand, the venues along the tour are larger, thus the golf clap isn't heard, the thumping sounds like a golf clap, and the rabid diehearts are watching from the heavens more and more.

Gone are the days when for instance, the Regiment phamilies showered the field (not phield) with rolls of toilet paper for the end of 1812, the crowd sang Amen with Garfield, and many danced in the aisles with Bridgemen and Velvet Knights.. It is what made Jersey Surf's bananas so special a few seasons back. Now many mimic the extra-terrestrial floating silence that Carolina Crown manifested for us in Out of this World. Some will blame the show designs and designers. But that is all for another thread.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 3

I'd like to see more emotion demonstrated by the fans in the stands to shows. Thats more of an issue of late than staff showing animated, honest emotion, down around the track below during and / or after their Corps performances. Heck, even George Hopkins of the Cadets himself is on public record as stating that DCI audiences in his view are not as enthusiastic at shows for the DCI Corps performance as they once were. So while this thread topic is interesting regarding staffs display of emotion at shows, its not the more relevent issue that George Hopkins ( and others ) have been noticing of late regarding this topic issue of the level of emotion on display and witnessed at DCI shows.

And, of course, when asked why that might be...

224-047the-three-stooges-posters.jpg

yup, as the prices have gone up, the fans have become more snooty and demanding.

Many are spectators (literally) rather than rabid fans; the show is their only in person viewing for most; corps have to be spot on (Box 6) to get their adulation. Watching the FN is much more a cerebral and private response so the crowd is unaccustomed with becoming visceral in affirmation.

On the other hand, the venues along the tour are larger, thus the golf clap isn't heard, the thumping sounds like a golf clap, and the rabid diehearts are watching from the heavens more and more.

Gone are the days when for instance, the Regiment phamilies showered the field (not phield) with rolls of toilet paper for the end of 1812, the crowd sang Amen with Garfield, and many danced in the aisles with Bridgemen. It is what made Jersey Surf's bananas so special a few seasons back. Now many mimic the extra-terrestrial silence that Carolina Crown manifested for us in Out of this World.

There's some truth to this. My sister who rarely goes to DCI shows went to a few in the past couple of years and asked me . " whats with it that you can't stand up and cheer during a show and can't show how much youre loving something " She got some evil stares I think when reacting like fans used to .

The Finals are usually pretty good with both staff and audience alike showing appropriate levels of enthusiasm, emotion, etc.

The local shows are a mix bag, imo.

I agree,within reason, I think it just comes down to some sort of respect for people around you and this goes for the paying customer as well.

AS far as a paying customer. There are many in the activity that give way more than the price of a ticket. Priceless hours of teaching ( many without pay ) cooks, drivers, etc etc WAY MORE than the price of a ticket , so I do agree with your last line.

This is true. Have respect for the people around you. Some shows do have marked out staff zones, I seem to remember the regionals in San Antonio and Atlanta had zones at the top of the first deck. But most local shows don't, so it's either hang out on the track in case you have to help push stuff off, or try and find some open space to watch. There are moments in shows though that staff know hasn't been clicking, and then finally does at the show. It should be fine to show emotion and cheer at the big moments. Maybe that's a problem with the larger audience as has been alluded to, or maybe we should just try and keep it in.

• Like 1

This is true. Have respect for the people around you. Some shows do have marked out staff zones, I seem to remember the regionals in San Antonio and Atlanta had zones at the top of the first deck. But most local shows don't, so it's either hang out on the track in case you have to help push stuff off, or try and find some open space to watch. There are moments in shows though that staff know hasn't been clicking, and then finally does at the show. It should be fine to show emotion and cheer at the big moments. Maybe that's a problem with the larger audience as has been alluded to, or maybe we should just try and keep it in.

as I said there are many that contribute way more than the price of a ticket. EVERYONE should be aware of those around them as well as having a right to react in a positive manner. Ive sat next to those supporting their kids corps, great and very loud reactions then the same people doing nothing but talking and of course giving their expert opinions on the next corps ( not positive of course ). So which is worse. For me I say the latter.