Bluecoats HBCU scholarship

....... especially when you compare attendance at DCI Finals with that of Honda Battle of the Bands.

i don't think it's really a valid comparison between the two, attendance-wise, considering that the top ticket price for the Honda Battle of the Bands at the Georgia Dome is $30, and most of the tickets are under $15.

Kudos to the Bluecoats for finding more ways to increase their outreach. In the past two years, they've instituted a special drumline that plays at Cleveland Browns games and an alumni group that has played several venues; I saw the latter ensemble as the encore performer at a high school band competition in October.

I think it's a GREAT idea. I will be contributing.

Thanks!!

I didn't write the urban dictionary definition. You'll also notice exactly what you said can be applied towards the term HBCU.

Your comment doesn't make sense as the term Historical Black College & University applies to institutions founded before 1964 created to provide opportunities to African-American youth as to not to be excluded entrance based on race. With the Civil Rights Act of 1964; Title VI, any school receiving federal funding cannot discriminate against applications based on race which is why many HBCUs have high non-black student populations.

Overall, the average enrollment of non-African American's at HBCUs is 20% based of federal figures. Some schools have higher rates like WVSU (51% of European descent; 11% African-American), Bluefield (81% of European descent, 10% African-American), and Kentucky State (33% of European descent, 44% African-American). These figures are rising collectively as enrollment increases and many HBCUs position themselves as quality liberal arts, business, and professional institutions while providing affordable opportunities for students of all backgrounds and creeds.

Edited by lcarlton
  • Like 4

Awesome idea. I'll be contributing with the next commission check

I didn't write the urban dictionary definition. You'll also notice exactly what you said can be applied towards the term HBCU.

Yet you chose to post it instead of using your own words. ... ANY of your own words. And now you are hedging. If you're going to troll, you could at least hang in there for a little longer.

• Like 1

I just wanted to say that based on my experience, this is a great idea.

In 2005, Crown split the Disney parade with Florida A&M. They were aware of the activity then, and I can only imagine they are even more aware now, thanks to Youtube. (Ive been sent that video of BD's space chords three times in the last few years)

We should see those HBCU groups as peers in a way; they see band as a performance sport like we do, and work very, very hard to look and sound the way they do. I don't know if they put in a 1000 hours a season like a world class corps, but they definitely outwork most traditional college bands.

Also, I for one would rather Drum Corps not become like Water Polo or Lacrosse, with a base of mostly white, mostly wealthy families and their children. That's not Drum Corp's history, and I'd rather it not become our future.

Duht Duht Out.

K