Plymouth Anyone?

Big John

Exactly what Fran said, ticket prices...that's the main reason I have taken a pass the last few years. I just don't have the disposable income, especially with the holiday season bearing down on us. I love my drum corps, but along with our "mature years" comes the wisdom to live within our fiscal means and set priorities. I don't know the specifics now, but several years ago there was a major restaurant there that sponsored the event. If they are no longer involved, the organizers need to reach out to others in the community to pitch in. The whole area gets a real shot in the arm to their local economy,

IMO, the ticket prices for the show are a bit steep, compared to those for other alumni-corps events. I wonder if that's factor in the attendance thing.

I know it's quite an expense to produce such a show, so I have no idea if those prices can be lowered without watering down the event.

Nevertheless, Saturday night was fun. A bunch of really solid performances.

And, like the others have said, the entire weekend is a chance to catch up with some old friends.

And to overdose on New England seafood. :tongue:

I went several times when it first started, but to me, it became stale as a paying customer. During those years, there was mostly the same old music. I'd say the participants enjoy it more than the folks in the seats, especially being in Plymouth for a few days.

I think Paul hit the nail on the head about the shrinking demographic. Of course the other half of the equation is the loss of a source of new young members as the community basis for drum corps has vanished. I consider myself lucky to live in metro Boston where the sheer size of the activity that once existed here is enough to sustain two fine alumni units (and not so long ago three with North Star currently working on a come back as well). This is now my 16th season of alumni drum corps and the inevitable march of time will result in us fading to black in the absence of active community drum corps. So I am enjoying the opportunity to recreate that which meant so much to us as kids and I am grateful to be able to do it with and for those who remember and appreciate what once was...while it lasts.

Edited by Geneva
  • Like 3