How hard is it to make the blue devils?

I'm debating on what corps to audition for in 2016, and am curious about what level I would need to be at to be a blue devils trumpet for the 2016 season

The Blue Devils draw some of the best talent in the country as they are routinely at the top level of competition in DCI. Its not unheard of, but its pretty rare that folks make the corps without some previous drum corps experience. This isn't said to discourage you from auditioning, but just to put into perspective what those auditions are likely to be like. You'll be surrounded by guys who have marched top 12 drum corps for a year or two already and/or are collegiate music majors. If you have no previous experience, I'd encourage you to look into auditioning at an Open class corps, or less "competitive" World Class corps. Depending on where you are from, there may be some good options nearby. Blue Devils have a B corps that is very successful, and often supplies members to the A corps after a year or two of experience.

• Like 1

Its a very competitive brass line in terms of talent level and such. It would be a little less difficult than making Crown's line.

If you can play with a great sound, have decent technique, and don't visually look like its your first day in band, you'll probably get a spot.

LOL

Not sure what is so funny?

I'm talking strictly about the brass section here, by the way.

I know lots of kids who auditioned at Crown within the past 2 years and got cut, then went to Devs. Things are a lot different than they used to be.

• Like 1

Go here:

Click on Mediabox and look at all the videos you can.

It's hard to say how hard it will be to get in: every kid has the same question. It's hard to tell how good you need to be. But audition for multiple corps - just like colleges - and you'll get in somewhere.

They may have educational camps for non-members (many corps do) so if you can do one of those they can advise you.

• Like 1

I know lots of kids who auditioned at Crown within the past 2 years and got cut, then went to Devs. Things are a lot different than they used to be.

It's funny because the opposite is just as true.

There are people who get cut from BD that go on to march with Crown, Cadets or some other corps. Just as there are people who get cut from other corps that go on to march with BD.

• Like 2

People are laughing as it is clearly your not so clever way of dissing BD, who has won more brass titles in DCI history than any other corps, including this past season. I also know people who have been cut by BD and made Crown, Cadets and Phantom. It depends on the need of the corps that particular season and how many spots will be available in the section you are looking to try out for.

Edited by jmc5682

Crown and Devils are about equally difficult to make, both in terms of playing ability and movement ability. You also have to factor in available spots in the line (Crown skews *slightly* younger than Devils, but that gap is closing quickly). The audition process for both corps is strikingly similar as well.

The number of kids that don't make it with Crown and Devils is incredibly high, and you could fill several full corps with kids that don't make the cut.

• Like 1