Universal Judge Tape Thread

I always find what the people behind the scoring very interesting. I was wondering if anyone here had some judge tape videos or recordings that are under fair use to post here.

An up-coming segment of "Off the Record" will feature several excerpts of judge's tapes from the '70s and '80s when the process of recorded commentary was first developed.

I think listeners will find it quite interesting.

Stay tuned.

I wish I had my GE drum tape from the World Open Prelims in the 70's when I taught the Wayne Monarchs/King's Regiment. The judge turned on his tape as we played our cadence on to the field, introduced himself, and then never said another word all through our performance. :tounge2:

The guard could have used it as a practice tape. :augen51:

To top it off...his sheet said "See tape"...not one written comment. :tounge2:

To be fair...it did not say "listen to tape". :augen51:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

http://youtu.be/4Z0wK7Exxvg SCV Percussion 2013 DCI Finals Adjusted Audio

RennickDrums posted this on his Youtube page. It's a nice tape.

Edited by ThatOneTimpanist

An up-coming segment of "Off the Record" will feature several excerpts of judge's tapes from the '70s and '80s when the process of recorded commentary was first developed.

Stay tuned.

Make sure there's some Dr Baggs in there - also some Sandra - some Shirley - some Cecil Austin - some Jim Prime Sr - oh man - I can't wait.

I wish I had my GE drum tape from the World Open Prelims in the 70's when I taught the Wayne Monarchs/King's Regiment. The judge turned on his tape as we played our cadence on to the field, introduced himself, and then never said another word all through our performance. :tounge2:

The guard could have used it as a practice tape. :augen51:

To top it off...his sheet said "See tape"...not one written comment. :tounge2:

To be fair...it did not say "listen to tape". :augen51:

That's the funniest thing I've read on DCP since XXXxxxxx [censored - didn't want to use the actual DCP handle] was trying to be serious.

Stay tuned.

1978 Dr Baggs DCI Prelims (Semi-finals in modern terms) for Bayonne Bridgemen - GE Music.

An absolute classic.

Greg Neulieb and I had shared custody of that tape until it dissolved I think.

God I miss Dr Baggs.

1978 Dr Baggs DCI Prelims (Semi-finals in modern terms) for Bayonne Bridgemen - GE Music.

An absolute classic.

Greg Neulieb and I had shared custody of that tape until it dissolved I think.

God I miss Dr Baggs.

I was a very good friend of Dr Baggs' son, also Bernie, in college and after. At my senior recital I did a fife and drum thing (Three Camps...etc), and I had Bernie (Jr) play bass drum and his then girlfriend-later wife Trisha play piccolo (she was a flute major). so...i invited Dr and Mrs Baggs to attend, and they both came. This was in early 1975, my graduation year from Montclair State. I had spent quite a bit of time at their home, since my parents lived down the shore, and the Baggs household in Dumont was pretty close to MSC, so I knew the family pretty well. Bernie Jr was the only boy with six sisters...and he was right in the middle..three older and three younger.

There I was, this drum corps kid who knew Dr Baggs as that icon of judging even then, and he was coming to watch me play.

To top it off, my first piece was a timpani solo...just prior to going on-stage, Bernie Jr tells me his dad was actually a percussionist...and primarily a timpani player, in his youth. I told Bernie he could have waited until AFTER I played to tell me that! :tounge2: Happy to say, all went well.