Fracking Comes To Drum Corps

Good question on the blend switch as refineries seem to be a bigger hand in pricing than most realize. <snipping no-corps blather from me>

Wonder how the much colder weather and fuel oil needs pushed things around,

OK corps question,,,, how do higher heating costs affect corps in the non-warm months.?

Just randomly stumbled across this thread and find it very interesting... considering how since December, the company I work for (tied to ceramic proppants and fracking) has seen a DRAMATIC decrease in sales (resulting in layoffs, facility/plant closures, etc) and production. That article that the OP cited was spot on and if I had known how the market was going to turn, I probably would've tried to move out a lot sooner (my wife got layed off and it's not looking so great for me right now).

However, on the definite plus side... I'm glad to see the drum corps are going to (hopefully) be able to cut some costs! I'm all for anything that helps the activity, community, and kids out. :)

• 4 months later...

Oil prices could jump right back where they were at any time. Oil prices are low because on November 27 OPEC failed to reach an agreement on production. This opened the floodgates internationally. The next scheduled meeting is June 5, right before drum corps season, leaving plenty of time for prices to shoot back up and the media to act all surprised about it. Watch that date: June 5. A special meeting is possible before then, however.

Contrary to much discussion on this thread, fracking is about to experience an epic fail if prices don't rise, because the staggering amount investors have put into it will only make money if the price is high enough to cover the high costs of fracking.

This is all according to articles I read, not my own knowledge.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/economist-explains/2014/12/economist-explains-4

http://www.opec.org/opec_web/en/311.htm

Report on the June 5th meeting.

Current price of WTI crude is $47.54/barrel.

Diesel prices average $2.78 currently, down $1.13 per gallon nationally from same time last year.

For a corps with 3 member buses, two tractor trailers, two staff vehicles and a tour "front" van, and that travels 11,000 this summer (SCV's tour takes the 10,774 miles according to Google maps and DrumScorps), the fuel savings approaches $15,000 for the season.

Times 20 corps equates to something approaching $250,000 to $300,000 in fuel saving across the touring corps from '14 to '15. (Totals are approximate and are the result of simply multiplying the number of corps times the average savings.)

From what I understand, many corps have made more from increased attendance and souvie sales than the fuel savings illustrated above. Still, every few dollars helps of course.

I thought this was about the addition of French Horns to DCI. :)

I thought it was about Blue Devils '89.

Jeesh, don't you guys get tired of arguing scores and music and design and placement over in those other threads? Eventually somebody needs to talk about money.

:tounge2:

I do love it. Keep it going man.