2015 Hurricanes Show Announcement

vbc33

After an exciting end to the 2014 season, coupled with the kick off of 2015 this past weekend, the Hurricanes are excited to announce our 2015 Program.

10426072_10152592550704092_7359248995984

Tonight, join the Hurricanes as we hit a few of the City’s hippest “After Hours” clubs, on a Saturday night to remember!

Hearing Brian Setzer’s dramatic ballad, “Since I Don’t Have You”, coming from a place just down the street, we set the adventure in motion. Our evening blasts to life in a high-octane jazz club where “Nutville”, one of our favorite big band productions, begins. Killer horn riffs and relentless energy deliver the wild ride of this Buddy Rich classic.

We need a breath of air and escape outside, only to catch the plaintive sounds of “Harlem Nocturne” echoing from a smoky club down the block. Thinking we might catch a break, we're in for a big surprise when the band suddenly lights up the joint with “Jump, Jive and Wail”, Louis Prima’s dynamite up-tempo hit. Jammed with driving drums, pulsing rhythm, and dynamic horn moments, this iconic swing tune leaves us exhausted.

But just as we're ready to leave, the haunting, dramatic “Since I Don’t Have You” begins to weave its spell again. The bold, textured, familiar melody welcomes the dawn, capping off a night of entertainment and emotion, cruising the jazz scene “After Hours”.

• Like 1

After an exciting end to the 2014 season, coupled with the kick off of 2015 this past weekend, the Hurricanes are excited to announce our 2015 Program. ...

Tonight, join the Hurricanes as we hit a few of the City’s hippest “After Hours” clubs, on a Saturday night to remember!

Hearing Brian Setzer’s dramatic ballad, “Since I Don’t Have You”...

Looking forward to this. I'll be most curious to see if there are any (coincidental) visual connections to this year's show by South Point (OH) high school marching band, "Dark City", which was likewise set in a club after hours (the musical selections were completely different, though). FYI, "Since I Don't Have You" predates Brian Setzer's cover by 40 years. It was first recorded, I believe, by the Skyliners (not the corps!) in 1958.

Y'know, after seeing the growth they made last season, I'm pretty excited for this show.

My main thing with jazz on the field, is style. So many groups just don't get it right. Let's see what Hurcs can pull off, and what the guard can do... who's not excited to see the guard?

• Like 1

Y'know, after seeing the growth they made last season, I'm pretty excited for this show.

My main thing with jazz on the field, is style. So many groups just don't get it right. Let's see what Hurcs can pull off, and what the guard can do... who's not excited to see the guard?

The thing is that Matt Krempanski has an approach to putting jazz on the field - he gets it at the DCI level (classic early 90s Crossmen shows - probably their best ever and IMO some of the great brass books in DCI lore); with Reading some years ago; with school bands - he flat out gets it.

As you say, or as I infer from what you said, some groups flounder with jazz - it's not their meat and potatoes, or maybe they play it like meat and potatoes instead of like jazz.

I love the Hurcs - I'm always proud of how their brass line seems to get more done with less - I think this new staff is going to make some glorious music this year. I'm looking forward to seeing/hearing it after being on the other side of the country for the past 3 summers.

Good points all (yours that is).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Good luck.

We're like the "former Hurricane arranger club" wishing them luck, and weirder yet - meaning it!

Hope you and yours have a fabulous Christmas and holiday season Den - and splat out a couple of cool pedal tones on that bass to give someone else the holiday tingles.

Talk next year, I pray.