C2: Interesting times with Hopkins and Templin at helm

Got this today in an email from Allentown,

Just prior to the DCA organizational meetings this weekend, George Hopkins, the CEO of Youth Education in the Arts and Director of The Cadets and Cadets2, has announced that Rich Templin will join the Cadets2 administrative team as the assistant director for 2015.

RichardTemplin2009.JPG

“I am thrilled to have a partner like Rich to assist in the continued growth of C2," Hopkins said. "As the director of two Cadets corps, I will undoubtedly be stretched this year, but with Rich on hand and the support of Steve Shuey and Lainey Braatz, we are looking forward to an excellent year. Rich brings a host of experience from the worlds of marching music and the internal activity of DCA. I am confident that I can rest easy knowing that Cadets2 is in good hands now and into the future.”

Mr. Templin has a brilliant resume working as a visual designer for the Westshoremen, the Hawthorne Caballeros, the New York Skyliners and the Bluecoats.He is the current President of the Drum Corps Hall of Fame and has also served as the judging coordinator for Cavalcade of Bands, Keystone Indoor Association and Drum Corps Associates. In his professional life, he has been the president of Penn Credit Corporation since 1987.

Rich will begin his work for Cadets2at the Drum Corps Associates meeting this coming weekend, December 5-7, 2014 in Linthicum, Md., where he and Mr. Hopkins will both be on hand to support DCA in moving to a new year while representing the interests of Cadets2.

Sic 'em Rich...... even if this make me feel old(er).....

Never been around GH but been around Rich with WSM and he has a lot of background and passion that should be tapped by a corps.

Just seems like yesterday he was yelling at me for my crappy marching. :tounge2:

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

if there's anyone that knows how to manuever around DCA it's Rich. good pickup for C2

• Like 4

if there's anyone that knows how to manuever around DCA it's Rich. good pickup for C2

Was just thinking of something like that. Thinking there were posts end of this season or last saying that C2 has problems moving up because their staff is DCI oriented and doesn't "get" DCA. No idea if true just passing what I think I remember.

Boy does Rich "get" DCA.......

• Like 2

Gotta hope for C2 sake that Hopkins can give him the artistic freedom and control that he needs to do his job.

If Hopkins has a weak point it's trying to dictate and micro manage everything.

I wish them all the best as they climb that long ladder.

Edited by camel lips
  • Like 1

Was just thinking of something like that. Thinking there were posts end of this season or last saying that C2 has problems moving up because their staff is DCI oriented and doesn't "get" DCA. No idea if true just passing what I think I remember.

Boy does Rich "get" DCA.......

So the question begs to be answered.

does C2 not get DCA

Or does DCA not get C2???

Personally I think it's a combination of both.

Here's my concerns after last season.

They operate as BOTH a feeder corps, and an All-Ages corps. Much like an NFL team with two Quarterbacks has none, does a DCA corps with TWO M.O.s succeed at neither?

To be honest, i think this is a feeder corps for DCI. And (not unlike the rest of DCA) they fill the ranks with Cadets members when they have 30 holes come finals time. This feels very much like YEA! all over again, except instead of Crown, Crossmen, and the rest dropping money into the pot, its Cadet Seconds, throwing money at dreams they may never get to achieve.

Will they finally play a show catered to their own members, instead of another "Best Of" of their #1 corps in the organization? Or will it be another season of "here's a great chart from 89, one from 96, and the closer from 00." ? To be honest, which will the members learn more from? Is the organization even concerned with them learning?

Will they finally play a show catered to their own members, instead of another "Best Of" of their #1 corps in the organization? Or will it be another season of "here's a great chart from 89, one from 96, and the closer from 00." ? To be honest, which will the members learn more from? Is the organization even concerned with them learning?

Thinking that it would suck to me personally to play someone else show too. Being a feeder doesn't bother me since I was in a Sr corps from age 16-22 and was a good fit. But think C2 does need a more seperate identity from the "big brothers" in the Jr corps.

OK - couldn't resist being a smart aleck with the big brother bit as "big brother" = Jr and "little brother" = Sr does a bit bizarre in the real world. :tounge2:

Edited by JimF-LowBari

I think you will see that C2 will not have many holes come finals week..

knowing Rich they will have a set number and write the show for what they have not what they think they have. Maybe 1 or 2 holes not ten.

My thought . Those that don't Make Cadets and are local/can make it work will be guided to C2. Are they a feeder Corps? You can say that, but these days most DCA corps are sort of a feeder for DCI.. Plenty of kids go from DCA to DCI..So it is what it is..