Carolina Crown 2015

Yes, Dan Potter did do some voice-over entry announcements last season and quite well, in fact.

There had been a discussion of merit whether contest staff should be involved in pre-recorded parts of performances especially when the performance is a judged competition. Would it give the appearance that some units had an "in', were favored by the contest committee, or that the judging was not in fact neutral and fair to all?

A similar argument occurred one season in BOA Grand Nationals with Kennesaw Mountain of Georgia's performance. The most talented announcer for BOA declined to be pre-recorded citing the ethical conflict of interests perspective. Kennesaw Mt. was clever by recording the speaker publicly announcing them at a different BOA regional contest that same season; they then inserted that segment into the tape for the Grand Nationals.

Others might counter-argue that Brandt Crocker's deliberately exaggerated announcement of Santa Clara VANGUARD, PHANTOMMMMMMM Regimentttt, or THE TROOPERS (all units where he has had a fine history as a tour volunteer and one where he was the tour mgr. years back) might be similar.

Whatever one feels as we all age, Brandt is a definite HOF worthy candidate for all he has done for the activity over the years all way back to the first DCIs in Whitewater, WGI, etc.

Edited by xandandl

I agree, corpsband. Crown needs to pull out the stops and establish a dominant projection early in the season if they are going to contend for a championship.

It's a place holder but it's not a bad place holder either. It ends the show appropriately. They can obviously change it up and add more and more to it to make it even better but Crown's ending right now just doesn't work, period. Most of the time new endings really don't affect scoring too much (again that's MOST of the time) as they'll be dirty initially anyways which will offset any gain you got from having the new ending. Obviously, it will pay off in the end but by then everyone else has the final endings in too so it's just a battle of the shows, not the closers. In Crown's case though, I think a new ending can really help GE scores as it's just very lackluster right now and providing almost no effect except for a negative one.

Unfortunately the ending isn't the only thing that doesn't work with Crown's show - the drum solo is way too long and I don't believe the overall arc musically works. The viewer really loses interest with all the rifle tosses and body movement as it goes on. A new ending will help but there are structural issues with the music selection / arranging that I personally believe will keep them in a role of fending off SCV and Cavaliers, not vying for first. But it is still early so certainly things could change I suppose!

Unfortunately the ending isn't the only thing that doesn't work with Crown's show - the drum solo is way too long and I don't believe the overall arc musically works. The viewer really loses interest with all the rifle tosses and body movement as it goes on. A new ending will help but there are structural issues with the music selection / arranging that I personally believe will keep them in a role of fending off SCV and Cavaliers, not vying for first. But it is still early so certainly things could change I suppose!

don't forget they took out a big chunk of the drum feature last year, they could always find a way to do the same this year but if drums keep beating other corps I'm not sure they should drop any of it.

don't forget they took out a big chunk of the drum feature last year, they could always find a way to do the same this year but if drums keep beating other corps I'm not sure they should drop any of it.

It's early enough to do rewrites.

I actually don't agree with the drums comment. I actually like the segment and think the length is fine but then again I was on that drumline lol. I do think the transitions need some work in this show but I've thought that about a lot of shows they've done in the early part of the season and they always get those tweaked and get them working pretty nice so I'm not too concerned.

watching the most recently posted video. Is the video quality bad, or do they have 22 mellophones?

Recap from Hamilton show:

Crown had a good run musically. However, the tarp saying "Abandon all hope, ye who enter here" was torn during the effect today, yet the recovered quite well!

Spoke with Hunter tonight after the show, they have plans to remove part of that tarp so that it doesn't happen again, it's also a bit cumbersome, so it needs to be smaller in size.

Sorry I couldn't periscope it tonight. Had an awful camera angle in my seat!

They came in 2nd tonight. Need to get that closer fixed asap.

Edited by Zerix
  • Like 1