Carolina Crown 2015

I try not to be overly negative, but this corps could still make a run for the top spot, but NOT with the current ending. I did not go back and read every sigle post since we saw the new beginning. Not sure how other's are feeling about it.

I do not get it. At all. please don't spend time telling me the Dante story. I know it. You can say the ending is the ascension. But than means nothing if it isn't comunicating that. If ithe most recent ending change is better, it is only better like one extra kernel of popcorn in the extra large bucket is better than one fewer.

It did nothing to evelvate the theme or bring greater satisfaction at the end.

The gold flags look like a last ditch effort, and the running strips of fabric are worse. It seems silly to me. Whether this is supposed to be the ascension or not, no one knows. There isn't enough there for us to link into the story line. It comes across as: "We are in hell for 10 minutes, and then all at once we are not. Voila! See what we did there?" No, no I don't.

You do not climb higher by having the seventh (or lower) best ending in DCI this summer.

Please tell me this is all filler stuff. Please.

Edited by tigger2

Just watched Crown's Minnesota performance. The members are performing this show sooo well.

• Like 1

I keep expecting a sudden change in uniform to white to help give the finale some added drama. But, not sure if anything that big is in the works. Perhaps they should steal the motif that I saw a HS band from Tennessee use when they did an inferno show and use trampolines to show the attempt to escape the inferno. I understand they might be in possession of some trampolines as well.

• Like 2

I keep expecting a sudden change in uniform to white to help give the finale some added drama. But, not sure if anything that big is in the works. Perhaps they should steal the motif that I saw a HS band from Tennessee use when they did an inferno show and use trampolines to show the attempt to escape the inferno. I understand they might be in possession of some trampolines as well.

That would be cool

I'm sure the ending will get tweaked again. It seems the latest ending mixes in the same drill that was used in the beginning of the 2013 year. What I hope doesn't happen is all of sudden they end the show with the same Crown shape that has been used now for how many years in a row? 2012,2013,2014.... I still love the show thou. There are just some really good shows this year.. and every corps seems to be upping their game.

I think the same can be said about their Brass. Crown really dominated in Brass a few years back but in return that just forced all the top corps to up their game and now you see this year some really impressive Brass performances out there.

• Like 1

I'm sure the ending will get tweaked again. It seems the latest ending mixes in the same drill that was used in the beginning of the 2013 year. What I hope doesn't happen is all of sudden they end the show with the same Crown shape that has been used now for how many years in a row? 2012,2013,2014.... I still love the show thou. There are just some really good shows this year.. and every corps seems to be upping their game.

I think the same can be said about their Brass. Crown really dominated in Brass a few years back but in return that just forced all the top corps to up their game and now you see this year some really impressive Brass performances out there.

Personally, I think the crown shape will help out. The drill will change in the closer, but it also needs to change musically if Crown wants a shot at 3rd place for finals.

I think regardless of what they do with the ending, the show has a structural underlying weakness, at least to me. The drum feature in the front half of the show really eats away at time they could have used in the back half of the show for a transitional moment. That's what the ending is missing, I understand the story, but right now it's still jarring and instant. They spend 10 minutes in hell, and suddenly are out of it. There isn't the journey out, there isn't that transitional moment from dark to light, it's instantly dark to light. The dark part of this show is FANTASTIC, but it's the ending of the story that's killing it, and unless they free up some time somehow for a transitional point in the show, I don't think an ending will help, to me it's the transition that kills all momentum.

We shall see though. I just wish that drum feature was in the back half of the show, or at least shorter so that they could use that time for the emergence from hell. I really like the drum feature, but IMO they spend too much time in hell. The intro in the forest is done really well, the entrance to hell is really good (though long), the time in hell is fantastic, but that moment where we emerge is totally missing. We're just instantly out. That's the ONLY problem I have, but it's killing it for me.

They're still too good to count out, but IMO they have some big changes to make to make the arc of the story flow well.

• Like 2