Carolina Crown 2015

Corpsband, obviously you're more knowledgeable on the subject than me, that's why I was asking. I just don't understand how they have been historically bad when the only two shows the design staff haven't done well with, in my opinion, are the two most RECENT seasons. Obviously it's all opinion, I was just interested in your take.

I'll bite: 2010. Possibly 2011, but that show served its purpose beyond what a lesser corps could've done with it.

I honestly don't think this year's is 'bad,' but just missing that link to put it over the top. A show with this theme needs to go over the top or it falters.

I should edit this post and say that I don't think the above are bad by any means. But did hinder where staff may have desired to achieve. Happens every year though, only one winner and three medal spots.

Edited by c.l.
  • Like 1

Corpsband, obviously you're more knowledgeable on the subject than me, that's why I was asking. I just don't understand how they have been historically bad when the only two shows the design staff haven't done well with, in my opinion, are the two most RECENT seasons. Obviously it's all opinion, I was just interested in your take.

I'm not going to agree that they've been historically bad at design. So I wouldnt be a good person to explain it :-)

posted this in the DeKalb show thread yesterday, but didn't get any responses........thought I might try here instead?

"was at the show last night and have a Crown question......

When the "Abandon all Hope" banner pulled across the field at the end of the opener, one of the guard girls went down under the banner on the backside of the field, stayed under the tarp (you could see her moving occasionally) for the ENTIRE show........re-emerged AFTER the final chord and then walked off the field.

Anyone see as well or have an explanation?

Is this some new "punishment" for someone breaking corps rules? Sentenced to a night of purgatory under a hot black tarp through the entire show???

:)

Anyone???

I think over the next few weeks we will get a more defined storyline with the addition of some characters, a la 2009.

• Like 1

Drum Man TX, your comments point to a now historically issue with Crown, namely Design. This staff generally has difficulty putting together all the pieces necessary for a championship contending show. They still have time to get the design together, and can make some drastic changes, before they run out of time, but I'm not sure they can get the gold at this point and over take better show designs at this point. But, man, the members attack this show and play it intensely and enjoyably.

I think this is a fair statement. Brass and guard are plainly at or near the top of their caption. Drums are improved since 2013.

I actually really like their show this year - it's been my 2nd most-frequently watched show this year, behind Cadets. The music selections are fantastic and I mostly love what they do with them. Even the post-Ode parts of Beethoven 9 that many have criticized.

But it's hard to deny that their initial show design is not working as well as, say, Cadets or Bluecoats. And design problems have a way of dragging down great performing lines as the season moves along - the time you spend trying to fix the design is the time the other team spends cleaning & enhancing. IMO the problems are not as severe as 2014 (basically some pacing problems and a really awkward transition to the finale).

It's a show I'll enjoy no matter where it places, but I feel like a better offseason from the design team would have them competing for the title rather than chasing a bronze.

• Like 2

It's early. Last year at this same show, the Bluecoats finished in 5th place and were 2.5 points behind the 2nd place Cadets. And we all know how last year finished, right?

I wasn't implying that they don't have a shot. 1-5 could go anyway, really -- all very talented corps.

The issue is design, but nothing that can't be fixed/tweaked. My biggest gripe isn't so much the ending, which will change, but the transition on how they get there. It needs some work. Overall though, another fantastic show from them.

Edited by dcsnare93

Does anyone have an Idea of about when Crown will put on their redone ending? (not the slightly different ending they put on recently).

The guard member was not "under the banner" last night: they sat on the back 40 yard line the entire show...
there is a video available that shows it very clearly - it also shows (at certain points) a gap/hole in the guard which most likely means it's their spot.

Edited by ashevillemurphy
  • Like 1

I keep expecting a sudden change in uniform to white to help give the finale some added drama. But, not sure if anything that big is in the works. Perhaps they should steal the motif that I saw a HS band from Tennessee use when they did an inferno show and use trampolines to show the attempt to escape the inferno. I understand they might be in possession of some trampolines as well.

The challenge Crown faces in narrative terms is the same one SCV faced in 2011: you don't "escape" from Hell. If you're in Hell, you deserve to be there. Dante would say, in contrast to what SCV had the announcer say in 2011 ("Imagine you're in hell, and you want out!"), that you want to be there: your desire to sin is a desire for Hell. (If you don't believe in Hell, that's fine, but then there's no point in arguing about any of this.)

The way Dante gets around this is to present his story both as a dream and as a tour by a living person of Hell. There is no action that Dante takes that allows him to leave. He visits all nine levels, and then he walks out. That's it. At most, he has some sort of moral realization, and good luck portraying that in drum corps.

However, as far as I can tell, there is no "Dante" figure in Crown's show. Is it possible that the audience is Dante, and Crown is Virgil, giving us the tour? That doesn't solve the final transition, of course.

• Like 4