Carolina Crown 2015

But character work requires an additional layer of performing talent. Character development is suited for broadcast close-ups on video, the activity's most popular and enduring media. Character work also feeds into the overall trend with drum corps getting closer to short opera or short play or short narrative multi-media production formats. BD's character work trumped Crown's in the number, scope and depth of character. In Crown's show we never see the eponymous main character, for example, other than possibly the one horn line member that reaches for Beatrice from underneath the red cloth. And Crown's devil character was under-developed, turned his back on the audience and walked away with no interaction. These character development issues may account for the guard score differential.

Eponymous, huh? You wanted a guard member to portray the Inferno?

(And is the guard judge watching the show close-up or from the box?)

Edited by N.E. Brigand

Just watched a Youtube video of Finals shot from fairly high up and waaay off to the left, well past the endzone. Except for the end of the Adagio, when the crowd drowned him out, the soloist came through clearly. Kudos for adjusting for the failed microphone.

• Like 2

Just watched a Youtube video of Finals shot from fairly high up and waaay off to the left, well past the endzone. Except for the end of the Adagio, when the crowd drowned him out, the soloist came through clearly. Kudos for adjusting for the failed microphone.

I had the same observation from in the stadium, Sect 337 at around the 30 yd line. Even with a working mic, I don't think anyone would have heard his last notes over the cheering crowd.

Saw the show in person six times throughout the season, that was the case most of the year, mic'd or not. The last phrase was always drowned out.

• Like 1

I remember reading about one of the DCI's Essentials Blu-ray issue that the engineers were able to re-balance the sound at the end of a particular show so that a previously inaudible solo--again due to crowd noise--could be heard. I wonder if they can manage the same trick for Crown this year.

I found out where one of the banners found a new home. A local high school bought the gold banner and will use it in the closer playing "Amazing Grace".

They march over 250, so I hope everyone fits under it.

I had the same observation from in the stadium, Sect 337 at around the 30 yd line. Even with a working mic, I don't think anyone would have heard his last notes over the cheering crowd.

Was in 337 with you, fully agree with your comment.

• Like 1

I remember reading about one of the DCI's Essentials Blu-ray issue that the engineers were able to re-balance the sound at the end of a particular show so that a previously inaudible solo--again due to crowd noise--could be heard. I wonder if they can manage the same trick for Crown this year.

Would that be the final notes of Cadets' '87 show? I know there was a sop playing, but you couldn't hear squat besides the deafening ovation.