Carolina Crown 2015

I agree word for word. Next year I hope for a honed-in version of their 2012 drill.

I would pretty much agree. It was an awesome show and they performed it wonderfully, but there was some dirt in the visual and BD deserved to win. Although I thought the crown guard should of won the caption.

At the beginning of the season I didn't think Crown had a chance with the show they had to start, best show of the night, stunning horns and guard, congrats on a great season.

I think most people felt this would be a bit of a down year when they started touring the new show. It shows you how great their staff is at understanding how to design a show and teaching how to execute it throughout the season. They certainly bring the energy from the sidelines and in rehearsals.

I for one am so glad that (at least this year) they almost completely abandoned the trampoline-style of production and went old school.

My only quibble is that their talent level probably could have handled a tougher brass book. They have an awesome wall of sound, but compared to the complexity of BD and Cadets, they were less demanding this year.

Crown has become the new model for how to build a world class corps. Maybe some of the other regional organizations (Music City, SOA) can follow in their steps.

Edited by MikeRapp

Cool shot!

If anyone uses Google Chrome...there's an extension where you came make your own theme for your browser. I've created a few, one is a 2015 Crown theme. If you'd like to use it, feel free

https://www.mychrometheme.com/t/489jhyz5029bdf1g738zsbmg4

At the beginning of the season I didn't think Crown had a chance with the show they had to start, best show of the night, stunning horns and guard, congrats on a great season.

Crown had me from show one note one in Akron (June) to the ending chord. They were absolutely fantastic and I immediately picked them picked to win or finish 2nd to The Cadets, who also had a monster show right out of the gate. It was Bluecoats I did not think had a championship show.

To be honest, I never understood why the judges or some of their fans didn't think the show was championship caliber at the beginning. It was apparent to me. When you see early season shows you can't pick out a horn frack or a crooked line and conclude the show is no good, and of course you know that wasn't going to be the ending in August. Crown played straight ahead prop-free DRUM CORPS from the start, with a fantastic concept that was immediately apparent to newbies and corps vets alike.

The highest compliment I can pay them, is to say whenever I saw them live, once at Akron early on and at the last regular season show at Massilon, I thought they were giving me absolutely 100% the best show they could, every note, every guard move, and every step.

What else could a drum corps fan ask for?

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 4

Character work seems to be the new benchmark for color guards and can usually boost the depth of concept score. Good character work requires stage presence, range of emotion, imitative ability, physical and vocal skill on top of the impossible dance and equipment work. A guard with well integrated character work has more score leverage than one without. It's an extra design layer that can boost the theme and resonance if done correctly.

For the most part, equipment work and dance prowess among the top corps are at an impossibly high level and nearly indistinguishable to the casual viewer. Corps have a revolving door of guard members year to year, and any corp's guard execution talent seems generally on par among corps. (Just ask any guard member which corps they've marched with.) It's an annual sloshing of talent from one great corps to another with a pachinko ball machine effect of a law of averages on which talent ends up where.

But character work requires an additional layer of performing talent. Character development is suited for broadcast close-ups on video, the activity's most popular and enduring media. Character work also feeds into the overall trend with drum corps getting closer to short opera or short play or short narrative multi-media production formats. BD's character work trumped Crown's in the number, scope and depth of character. In Crown's show we never see the eponymous main character, for example, other than possibly the one horn line member that reaches for Beatrice from underneath the red cloth. And Crown's devil character was under-developed, turned his back on the audience and walked away with no interaction. These character development issues may account for the guard score differential.

Edited by Channel3
  • Like 1

I've never been a Crown homer but I have appreciated the shows they have done in the past few years (well, everything since 2007). I will never minimize BD's championship wins because they are great and know exactly what they're doing to win. I have to say though that when I watched the score announcement for Crown in 2nd place, I almost dropped my Mac on the floor. That show had everything. One of my favorite parts of that show was the ballad with the hornline clawing their way out of [Hell, I guess?], and getting pulled back in. That was one of the most emotional displays I have seen all year. And that guard was just fantastic. I am still shocked they didn't take that caption, but I guess I will know more after the Blu-ray comes out and I can watch BD again. Either way, I think it was a great year for drum corps in general. Seemed like all the corps came out this year on their "A-game" and that's something for which I am grateful.

• Like 2

Character work seems to be the new benchmark for color guards and can usually boost the depth of concept score. Good character work requires stage presence, range of emotion, imitative ability, physical and vocal skill on top of the impossible dance and equipment work. A guard with well integrated character work has more score leverage than one without. It's an extra design layer that can boost the theme and resonance if done correctly.

For the most part, equipment work and dance prowess among the top corps are at an impossibly high level and nearly indistinguishable to the casual viewer. Corps have a revolving door of guard members year to year, and any corp's guard execution talent seems generally on par between corps. (Just ask any guard member which corps they've marched with.) It's an annual sloshing of talent from one great corps to another with a pachinko ball machine effect of a law of averages on which talent ends up where.

But character work requires an additional layer of performing talent. Character development is suited for broadcast close-ups on video, the activity's most popular and enduring media. Character work also feeds into the overall trend with drum corps getting closer to short opera or short play or short narrative multi-media production formats. BD's character work trumped Crown's in the number, scope and depth of character. In Crown's show we never see the eponymous main character, for example, other than possibly the one horn line member that reaches for Beatrice from underneath the red cloth. And Crown's devil character was under-developed, turned his back on the audience and walked away with no interaction. These character development issues may account for the guard score differential.

When taking your ideas on show development, they make much more sense to me when applied specifically to the guard rather than to the corps in general. It definitely helps me understand why BD's guard has been winning Zingali awards since 2007.

For the most part, equipment work and dance prowess among the top corps are at an impossibly high level and nearly indistinguishable to the casual viewer. Corps have a revolving door of guard members year to year, and any corp's guard execution talent seems generally on par among corps. (Just ask any guard member which corps they've marched with.) It's an annual sloshing of talent from one great corps to another with a pachinko ball machine effect of a law of averages on which talent ends up where.

Although I do agree with most of this except the last bit. Having quite a few judge friends 2 of whom are dci judges the Characterization and the development is more in line with visual and general effect more than the guard caption in itself. While yes character is a factor in the caption it is mostly about it being expressed the same from member to member through the entire show, not only through the body but also equipment work, even through mistakes which both BD and Crown had. Although I do give Crown the edge on the Substance part I would give Bd a slight edge on the execution, both are top notch guards.

With Crown having to dig deep in an emotional aspect on a trip to Hell and Back, Bd had several different characters throughout the show that is familiar to all in classic fairytales, with putting there own little twist on it but still understandable. All in all with both giving such great performances it is hard for the judges to put one on top of the other, this is definitely the closes these 2 guards have ever been and I give mad props to both guards. The skill level of these kids are undeniable and it is getting tougher for judges to score them accordingly even in execution you have to be on top of your game all the time.