Rules Congress

Oh, he11, there goes the neighborhood...

Evolve or die.
Do I like the way things are going,not really. But that is what everything is about.
Let them put elephants, and flaming clowns jumping thru hoops,on the field.
If ya'll care about the entertainment aspect and keeping corps alive ,then take the competition out of the activity.
Then for a corps to get booked for a show they will have to be good enough entertainers to put people in the seats. Play to their own stengths, with or without the the flaming elephants.

A corps will not be chasing scores in a system that says you will now have TO HAVE WHAT THE BIG BOYS HAVE

This sounded more betterer in my head,hope some one else gets my drift

• Like 1

Then why post a response if it's not worth worrying about?

And why the slap at the Alumni type corps? Some of them are supporting DCA/DCI.

Some are, but many are and have made it overly clear that they are not. By overly clear, posting the same worn out arguments for years, annually, monthly, weekly *and weakly* about how it isn't drum corps anymore.

I have said it before and I will say it again, if you don't like something walk away from it and let the people who still do like WHATEVER it is enjoy it. I don't understand why if you don't enjoy something anyone would spend so much time complaining about it. Life is too short.

• Like 5

Some are, but many are and have made it overly clear that they are not. By overly clear, posting the same worn out arguments for years, annually, monthly, weekly *and weakly* about how it isn't drum corps anymore.

I have said it before and I will say it again, if you don't like something walk away from it and let the people who still do like WHATEVER it is enjoy it. I don't understand why if you don't enjoy something anyone would spend so much time complaining about it. Life is too short.

Can't argue with you with any of this. Just shake my head when people say: don't post if you don't like... and then complain about what someone else sez... hey if you don't like follow your own advice. :tounge2:

As for walking away totally agree. Walked away for ten years when other things started hitting and for a variety of reasons going to a corps show didn't seem that important or entertaining anymore. Had no regrets and no hard feelings for those who stayed, just the right choice for me at the time. And yes, just TOO MANY other things more important going on. And for those of you who remember the thread about my wife I posted back in Spring you know what I mean.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

...and the irony is that the one corps that would have taken the "everything worth doing is worth overdoing" approach to electronics ceased to exist a year ago.

That same corps fielded an electric guitar way back in 1985.

Somehow, the world kept spinning on its axis. LOL.

• Like 1

This year I did not watch one single DCA corps that was electronically enhanced in the pit. NOT ONE!

So you missed the Caballeros, Buccaneers, and others.

Your loss, IMO.

• Like 5

The activity evolves. This happens every decade or two, and has for ages. The only difference is the addition of the internet to vocalize complaints. The beauty of evolution is that it marches on whether you believe in it or agree with it.

Evolution is a bogus word in these discussions because it elides responsibility for change.

This change didn't just happen on its own. Some people decided to make this change. Using the word "evolution" implies that there can be no good or bad decisions. In which case, not making this decision sooner was just "evolution" too (the coelacanth and other "lving fossils" are just as subject to evolution as any other organism), and your claim earlier in the discussion that the new changes are "outstanding" is meaningless.

And if there are no good or bad decisions by DCA, then there can be no good or bad decisions by the corps, in which case any corps who makes the audience cringe next year with a "Yowza"-style performance can simply reply to criticism by saying, "Don't blame us, it's just evolution".

• Like 3

I have said it before and I will say it again, if you don't like something walk away from it and let the people who still do like WHATEVER it is enjoy it.

Can the people who like it the way it is "now" (2014) speak? Or is that only allowable for the people who like it the way it will be in 2015?

I can understand not wanting to hear repeated criticism from those who no longer support the activity anyway. But expecting every change to be greeted with unanimous acceptance is not realistic.

• Like 2

Then why post a response if it's not worth worrying about?

And why the slap at the Alumni type corps? Some of them are supporting DCA/DCI.

I didn't slap the alumni corps. I just wish the received a heck of a lot more support than they get, particularly from the sub-set of fans that wave the 'tradition" flag so vehemently.

• Like 2

I don't expect every change to be greeted warmly. What I do expect is that if you say you are done, really, be gone with you. Coming back to tell us all over and over again, sometimes every year, for years on end, just how done you are gets old. Really old. Which then leads to the use of the word old in regards to the poster in many cases, and it just never ends well.

Sometimes I find that we hang on to 'traditions' as an excuse to give us something to complain about. I never see people on a sports forum complaining about the lack of leather helmets these days. Why? Because sports are ever changing and there are more than enough things to complaint about. I see people still complaining over things that happened in the 60's and 70's occassionally. So 40-50ish years ago. That is what makes me scream let it go already folks. I have family feuds that resolved in that amount of time from people who swore it wasn't until they were all dead and buried that anybody in the family would dare make amends. In my case it had to do with seeing their own mortality and realizing that some things needed to change before 'that time came'. In drum corps I see it as the reverse. Changes make people think of their own mortality. By recalling fondly about how it was 'back in MY day', suddenly you can see yourself young, vital and carefree on the field.....

Just my observations.