Rules Congress

That is odd. DCA has never had that. Yet, DCA has gotten a LOT younger over the past couple of decades. From the low point in 1993, the circuit doubled in size in a dozen years, partly thanks to the visibly increasing youth participation. Evidently, electronics was not the attraction that turned DCA into a youth movement.

IMO younger people joined because it was something they wanted to do, but...... The youth of 1993 (and 1974 to include myself) were living in a different world than today. And the MB world of those past decades was a lot different from today also.

Question I have is if the changes will bring younger bodies to watch the shows. I hope so as getting a younger audience might be a bigger breaking point than getting the youth to march.

• Like 2

To be candid, many of the people who literally "decide" this (by having some role in the rule change process) are employed in the profession of scholastic band.

Actually I really knew this answer BUT was trying to make a point that some think that their generation ( new or old ) decides this. As far as band , there has been over the years a cross between the both. Drum Corps people are the ones who invaded the band arena merely for the cash. Drum corps people crossed the styles and eventually went back and forth with themes as well as appearance . Drum Corps people also brought with them people within the band world including members and educators.

As far as electronics, I don't think it's a matter of needing them to move forward ( which many might say ) I do think it's a matter of wanting them to move forward. Many decades we had so many rules , even the tempos of a show, inspections, etc etc. Drum Corps re- grouped to decide their own paths. This. to me , is no different. Todays drum Corps decides to change the rules we may have had for creativity purposes and i'm sure other reasons. Todays drum corps leaders WILL change the activity for many reasons including serving todays members.

Personally, I say as long as the activity is still around and as long as we can still be leaders, so be it. JMO

Just like always ( mostly ) DCI implements DCA follows 5-10 years later. This was certainly IMO a sure bet. No surprise at all.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

Actually I really knew this answer BUT was trying to make a point that some think that their generation ( new or old ) decides this. As far as band , there has been over the years a cross between the both. Drum Corps people are the ones who invaded the band arena merely for the cash. Drum corps people crossed the styles and eventually went back and forth with themes as well as appearance . Drum Corps people also brought with them people within the band world including members and educators.

As far as electronics, I don't think it's a matter of needing them to move forward ( which many might say ) I do think it's a matter of wanting them to move forward. Many decades we had so many rules , even the tempos of a show, inspections, etc etc. Drum Corps re- grouped to decide their own paths. This. to me , is no different. Todays drum Corps decides to change the rules we may have had for creativity purposes and i'm sure other reasons. Todays drum corps leaders WILL change the activity for many reasons including serving todays members.

Personally, I say as long as the activity is still around and as long as we can still be leaders, so be it. JMO

Well, whoever "we" is, they are not the leaders. DCA follows DCI. DCI follows the scholastic band industry.

• Like 1

would I? I dunno. Scores do play a part tho, because people want to see "their" corps do well. I know many "fans" weren't around as much during some of the Bucs leaner years in the early 90's like they are today. Members want to win.

and never forget, while Empire strived to make fans jump up and down, they sure as hell wanted to win too

I get where you're coming from.

DCA follows DCI. DCI follows the scholastic band industry.

Which is seeing record levels of participation. How dare DCA want a piece of the pie.....

• Like 1

OK, well thanks for answering that question. I do appreciate it.

Mind you, here's how I read your answer: corps need to cater to dumb kids. It's like George Lucas explaining years ago why explosions in the near-vacuum of space are audible in Star Wars: the audience doesn't know any better.

It's sad, really.

Really? You think that because potential members want to be part of cutting edge, contemporary designed shows/performances they are "dumb"? Because if they are going to put in the time and $$$ to belong to an activity and want it to be at least on a design-par with something they already know, they are dumb?

Last I heard, school music programs were suffering declining enrollment, funding cutbacks and, occasionally, elimination from the district budget. If all three of those have recovered and then some, please provide a link to where this good news is published.

Which makes it even more critical that the DC scene taps into what ever is left......