Rules Congress

The reason I would prefer a woodwind section to the synthesized version is that part of the appeal of drum corps, to me, is seeing hard work pay off. Synthesizers, by comparison at any rate, are the "easy button". They're just less impressive.

That's reasonable. I'm not really a fan of the use of "String Patch #1" as a chord filler. Real keyboard playing I'm all for, but just filler, meh. I'm still waiting for corps to get a bit adventurous with electronic instruments. Other than Teal Sound and Crown's rock show, no one has made them an integral part of the show (at least not beyond a few special effects). I'd love to see a sample pad played as an instrument...there are some real possibilities there.

DCI and DCA want woodwinds no doubt about it. They just want to time it just right so they don't #### off a large section of the alumni.

Ed, I replied privately to your other topic, but you continue to spew forth your opinion as if they are facts so I'll ask you publicly here to back up your claims and statements.

Can I ask a couple of questions....

Based on what first hand information do you base your statement above? Were you present at any DCI meetings or DCA meetings? Have you been involved in personal conversations with the directors or staffs of multiple corps that have informed you that they want woodwinds as you state? Could you please recount those and when/where they occurred if that is the case?

Just count me as curious........

Thanks, AA

• Like 1

The reason I would prefer a woodwind section to the synthesized version is that part of the appeal of drum corps, to me, is seeing hard work pay off. Synthesizers, by comparison at any rate, are the "easy button". They're just less impressive.

hitting a key on the synth isn't just the easy button. You have to make sure you have the patchs set right, as well as keeping in time with the ensemble, even making volume adjustments. And at times, you have literally half a second to flip 2/3 switchesthen play the note/notes. it's nowhere near as easy as just hitting a key

hitting a key on the synth isn't just the easy button. You have to make sure you have the patchs set right, as well as keeping in time with the ensemble, even making volume adjustments. And at times, you have literally half a second to flip 2/3 switchesthen play the note/notes. it's nowhere near as easy as just hitting a key

That's why I said "by comparison": it's much easier to have one person, who doesn't march, contribute the sound equivalent of an entire clarinet section, than it is to march that clarinet section, with all the physicality that entails.

Ah, but if, as you said, kids see synthesizers as cutting edge, and they only want what's cutting edge, then that's what I'm saying is dumb about them. Basically they aren't mature enough to know what's really good, so they gravitate to shiny toys, is what you're saying. This isn't a new problem, of course. It reminds me of a quote from about twenty years ago, that came from a book called Dumbing Down:

"What seems to have disappeared in just a generation or so is the willingness we used to have to defer judgment until we had enough experience and breadth of knowledge to make a judgment. The students, more socially ambitious than intellectually curious, feel put upon and won't abide what they believe to be the absurd and arbitrary demands of their instructors. The instructors have devised a way to pander to this classroom anarchy by incorporating it into their peculiar hermeneutic theories of literature -- or else they have abandoned faith in the very idea of objective worth. They don't have the nerve to stand there at the front of the classroom and announce what is painfully obvious: 'You're young, you're dumb, and you're wrong.'"

OK, so most if not all generations feel that way about their successors (thus your amusing remark about anti-gravity boots); still, that doesn't make it untrue.

Well for starters, your premise is IMO, hugely insulting to the kids out there today. I have been seeing electronics in marching band for years now. some circuits adapted to it better than others, but it';s in WGI where it really exploded. So the kids know it. to you maybe it's shiny objects, to them it's what they see out there as contemporary. If they don't have it, it's viewed old school.

And guess what...while you're willing to quote pieces that insult kids for it...gasp...this has been happening with kids for decades in every facet of life.

I remember when the Star Wars prequels started coming out in 1999, and I happened one day to see some of the new action figures released...and ###### if they didn't blow away the stuff I got in the 70's when the movies first came out. Hell, even the updated versions of the 70's toys looked better. Why? because action figures had progressed in design since 1977. I dug my old ones out to show to my godson, and he laughed at the primitive design. he was 8.

And hey...when I joined drum corps in 1989, while I loved older drum corps, I wanted shows like what was out there and doing well, not retro stuff, as I'm sure you may have as well.

it's called human nature. They want what they see as it. Just as kids today laugh at transistor radios and LP's. They see DCI, or BOA, TOB etc, and they see all the bells and whistles...and if they want to go to DCA, they want it there too. is it dumbing down? I dunno...why don't they make Studebakers anymore?

Your post, as usual, is ridiculous.

1. No one said "amping the pits would not lead to full blown electronics" Quite the contrary actually, and if I'm wrong, cite some sources to back up your claims (after all, you did say "people"...name some and link to their posts).

2. DCI and DCA do not want woodwinds. In fact, there is ABSOLUTELY ZERO desire for woodwinds among the instructor's caucus in DCI. None. Zip. Nada. ntil you can convince that group otherwise, the entire topic is dead. You clearly have no understanding of the DCI rules congress process, and it shows.

3. There is absolutely not one shred of evidence to support your assertion that "woodwinds are coming".

4. Drum corps (DCI and DCA) has *always* been "marching band" despite the elitist claims of folks throughout the history of the activity.

actually John, back in 2003 when DCI voted it in, I said it would lead to electronics like synths etc in the DCI forums.

Ed, I replied privately to your other topic, but you continue to spew forth your opinion as if they are facts so I'll ask you publicly here to back up your claims and statements.

Can I ask a couple of questions....

Based on what first hand information do you base your statement above? Were you present at any DCI meetings or DCA meetings? Have you been involved in personal conversations with the directors or staffs of multiple corps that have informed you that they want woodwinds as you state? Could you please recount those and when/where they occurred if that is the case?

Just count me as curious........

Thanks, AA

AA,

well, you see it's all about history.if you research previous years scores, you'll see with proper alignment of the sun and moon, you'll get the answer he claims is fact.

That's why I said "by comparison": it's much easier to have one person, who doesn't march, contribute the sound equivalent of an entire clarinet section, than it is to march that clarinet section, with all the physicality that entails.

and hey that's ok...because an entire clarinet section out there in the rain sucks...for fans and performers