Rules Congress

HairBear for the win!!!

I'll start by saying, put me in the camp of those who believe woodwinds are coming. First in DCI, then later in DCA. I expounded on that here about a year ago, I think. To me, for that to happen is also natural. This is an endeavor that relies upon a steady stream of participants for it to prosper, particularly in DCA.

As a lifelong educator of young people, I can attest they DO what to do what they see other young people doing with success. Right now, DCI has their attention more so than DCA. In a way, DCA is in competition with DCI for participants. Yes, both organizations maintain a friendly business relationship. More than some know. Fortunately, DCI is doing some very good things to keep itself relevant. As I said, 2014 even shows me DCI made a small step backward in terms of more accessible programming. GREAT! If you haven't experienced 2014 DCI, you really should. Fabulous shows, even outside the Top 12. Those shows have clearly been enhanced (for me) by the new additions.

We all like to present DCA as an alternative to the rigors and demands of DCI membership. That's a great selling point. Right now, in this activity, DCI has Center Stage. DCI's message of opportunity for young people is out there, and it includes an ever-building list of options. Should not DCA's message be the same, or better?

On the other hand, maybe DCA could just find more older people to participate. Yeah . . . . that's the ticket.

(sorry for any typos. Gotta run!)

Hey Hair.. what about watching DCA on FN set up or YT.... :tounge2:

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Well for starters, your premise is IMO, hugely insulting to the kids out there today.

My premise is just that kids are kids and have a lot to learn. (Everything else you said in this post I had already answered.)

I'm posting the following status/comment from my Facebook timeline, because I was dared to do so and I like challenges. The comment is 100% mine:

"All the old farts crabbing about DCA allowing electronics, synths, etc in 2015, voicing their objection online using an iPad or laptop, with a cell phone in their pocket, driving a car with computer chips that monitor emissions, pulling into the driveway of their house that has an electronic security system, checking their email and Skype with a friend who lives halfway around the world and yet somehow, a synth in drum corps is bad?" :)

False premise, of course. The opposition some people have to electronics in drum corps has nothing to do with any dislike of electronics as a whole.

it has to do with people choosing to live in the past and being against change regarding corps

• Like 2

Perhaps in your world, but not mine. When's the last time you used a rotary dial phone? I'm 62 years old and the last time I did, I was probably 10 years old. I will always point out irony whenever and wherever I see it, NE Brigand.

Edited by hairbear
  • Like 3

My premise is just that kids are kids and have a lot to learn. (Everything else you said in this post I had already answered.)

So...in your view kids who have "a lot to learn" are "dumb"???? (Putting aside the bogus idea that liking something contemporary and modern is an ignorant idea in the first place.)

I'm posting the following status/comment from my Facebook timeline, because I was dared to do so and I like challenges. The comment is 100% mine:

"All the old farts crabbing about DCA allowing electronics, synths, etc in 2015, voicing their objection online using an I-Pad or Laptop, with a cell phone in their pocket, driving a car with computer chips that monitor emissions, pulling into the driveway of their house that has an electronic security system, checking their email and Skype with a friend who lives halfway around the world and yet somehow, a Synth in drum corps is bad?" :)

who dared you?

LOL

• Like 1