Rules Congress

yet if you went to a show, they got yout money anyway.

best part is who proposed it. Not Hopkins like many think, or even Bucs.

...and the irony is that the one corps that would have taken the "everything worth doing is worth overdoing" approach to electronics ceased to exist a year ago.

Or, people could just accept that the activity changes over time, put their big-boy pants on and deal with it.

Discussion over, then. Why should we expect anyone to present a different opinion here? If you post that much derision in advance, what would you do if actually confronted with an opposing view?

No one cares if you watch or not.

Was that the prevailing attitude in the boardroom too?

quick question:

last year was the first year DCA had amps. There was much gnashing of teeth and cuddling roasry beads by some.

How much did pit balance affect anyone in DCA last summer?

In the 2 shows I went to there were 0 issues....better than the 2 days of DCI I saw at Allentown a week before DCI finals

With all the nasty #### going on in our lives I forgot DCA went Amped this year.

Sure as bleep not noticable on the Internet feed but missed some corps.

You're welcome Jeff!

Oh, but we were just stooges for George...yeah riiiiiiiggggghhhhht.

Dan

Shouldn't that be "Soy-ent-ly" instead of "yeah riiight"?

OK can't think how to do Jerome "Curley" Howard way of saying "certainly" with the keyboard....

I think DCA is going to evolve with the kids and what they have grown up with. If it doesn't evolve with what they know and love the activity will suffer. Its our hope as educators that they move the activity forward for many generations instead of leaving it behind.

Education is going through some major changes. It happens frequently and at varying degrees. Not all change is bad. Sometimes the quickness in which it has been implemented is what upsets people. No one likes change and they certainly don't like it too fast.

I was told by a great jazz musician last year that made some sense to me. He said "you love jazz and all of the old standards. Don't try to force Count Basie charts down their throats. It is too far removed from what they know and love. Go to their music, listen and try to introduce the concepts of Basie through what they listen to."

In education, we are at that point. If I am going to happy with my career I have to find ways to adapt and meet them where they are. I can no longer expect them to come to me.

I think that DCA has to change so that they meet the needs of the students. Create exciting programs that all can enjoy, young and old. I think if this happens you will have an activity that lasts for many years

• Like 2

Only thing I'll disagree with the above post is the line about quickness of change upsets people. For me and some others it's when we feel that change has been made for the sake of "doing something" and not well thought out. But IMO that's more of a DCI problem than a DCA problem as DCA seems to go at a slower (hopefully more careful) pace.

Again my main concern is the cost to corps with limited budgets. Hope DCA can come up with a compromise where corps with "more stuff" get credit without penalizing corps without the "more stuff" too much in the scores/placings.

Thinking about the first big change in DC which was that first valve on the bugles. The compromise there for a few years was to allow the valve but there was a lock to keep the valve from moving during competitions. Then as more corps were able to afford to buy valved horns the valve was allowed to be used. Worked without killing corps budgets....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

With regard to expense...

How much do corps have to spend on bars for keyboards or replacing entire keyboards due to excessive wear due to the way they were played in order to be heard? I see the cost as being a wash in a few short years.

Dan

• Like 1

Discussion over, then. Why should we expect anyone to present a different opinion here? If you post that much derision in advance, what would you do if actually confronted with an opposing view?

Was that the prevailing attitude in the boardroom too?

If this was a new argument, it would be fine. But it's not. It's the same old, rung out "you dun gone and ruined mah drum core!" whining and moaning we've seen over and over since 2004. In Camel Lips' case, he's already said he's not watching the top corps (I have my doubts if he actually watches anyone at all, at least not live).

The activity evolves. This happens every decade or two, and has for ages. The only difference is the addition of the internet to vocalize complaints. The beauty of evolution is that it marches on whether you believe in it or agree with it.

As for what the board was thinking, I believe they absolutely had the future of the activity in mind. The Camel Lips of the world already don't support the corps, and likely never will, so why waste time worrying about them? Worry about the future...the future fans, members, and supporters of the activity. That's exactly what they are doing.

Besides, it's not like these lovers of all things traditional are spending any money on alumni corps, are they?

• Like 1

so why waste time worrying about them?

Besides, it's not like these lovers of all things traditional are spending any money on alumni corps, are they?

Then why post a response if it's not worth worrying about?

And why the slap at the Alumni type corps? Some of them are supporting DCA/DCI.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 2