Rules Congress

Evolution is a bogus word in these discussions because it elides responsibility for change.

This change didn't just happen on its own. Some people decided to make this change. Using the word "evolution" implies that there can be no good or bad decisions. In which case, not making this decision sooner was just "evolution" too (the coelacanth and other "lving fossils" are just as subject to evolution as any other organism), and your claim earlier in the discussion that the new changes are "outstanding" is meaningless.

And if there are no good or bad decisions by DCA, then there can be no good or bad decisions by the corps, in which case any corps who makes the audience cringe next year with a "Yowza"-style performance can simply reply to criticism by saying, "Don't blame us, it's just evolution".

Evolution doesn't just mean biological change over time. It also means any process of development or growth, or any product of such development. The word has several different definitions, several of which directly relate here. Ok, maybe not "giving off gas or heat".

Then again...

Then I misread and/or wished you had been more detailed John. I read your post as the Alumni types are not supported that well period. After all we can't look at the butts in the stands and know their opinions on change vs tradition.

Look at the all brass instrument rule in DCI. Good idea to have it happen. Now more colors are able to be heard, which makes music that much more engaging. Everyone will hoot and holler negatively for a few months and then accept and forget about their gripes... or leave the activity entirely. That's the way the world spins.

• Like 1

You're welcome Jeff!

Oh, but we were just stooges for George...yeah riiiiiiiggggghhhhht.

Dan

not in my eyes.

With all the nasty #### going on in our lives I forgot DCA went Amped this year.

Sure as bleep not noticable on the Internet feed but missed some corps.

correct. and with DCI, in several viewing online...oy if it wasn't the pits fault, it was the guy running the sound for DCI then.

but the DCA corps I saw do it live did it well, and the sound guys for the fan network did too.

funny how DCI still has issues.....

• Like 1

Then why post a response if it's not worth worrying about?

And why the slap at the Alumni type corps? Some of them are supporting DCA/DCI.

it's not a slap at the corps Jim...it's the slap at the #####ers and moaners who decry the changes and want their old time drum corps, but then never support the alumni movement.

For all of the people on here over the 12 years of DCP #####ing like that....if half showed up at the alumni show, attendance would see 50% growth.

Someone on one of the Facebook threads said 'well people are too hung over to get up and go"

bull ####.

I've been hung over and at the alumni show. it's just a #### poor excuse from those types of "fans"

• Like 3

Evolve or die.

Do I like the way things are going,not really. But that is what everything is about.

Let them put elephants, and flaming clowns jumping thru hoops,on the field.

If ya'll care about the entertainment aspect and keeping corps alive ,then take the competition out of the activity.

Then for a corps to get booked for a show they will have to be good enough entertainers to put people in the seats. Play to their own stengths, with or without the the flaming elephants.

A corps will not be chasing scores in a system that says you will now have TO HAVE WHAT THE BIG BOYS HAVE

This sounded more betterer in my head,hope some one else gets my drift

hey the elephants happened with Star 87. flames are still illegal.

take the scores away honestly...you lose bodies on the field and in the stands

I do find it hysterical seeing people say corps will go broke when many corps borrow stuff from bands already like they could with this.

I think for the most part, this will work well.

I'm certain the corps are concerned with doing it well if they choose to utilize it, they don't want to honk off the fans.

We've seen some pre-show use of various sound effects/set-up now for some time. I haven't seen people complaining about it then from my experience. It was used well in the 2 instances last season i can readily think of.

It would help the Govie's Drum Major a lot as he does his live commentary. Really enhance that for certain.

Like anything- those who use it well, I think will be rewarded by the audience and the panels. Hey- Blue Coats made it work exceptionally well this season and really sold the program to a large cross section of folks. Those who don't...

I have a guess those who utilize it this season will tread carefully and make sure that whatever they do will be done very well and it'll be properly integrated. Too many good, knowledgeable, and talented people on the staffs for everyone to implode over this.