Vanguard 2015

I know several corps who would love to be "irrelevant" in 4th place! (Crossmen, Blue Knights, Pioneer, Jersey, Surf, Madarins, Blue Stars, Boston, etc, etc, etc,)

Tell that to Phantom Regiment in 1982, 83, 84. All tradition, a wee bit of innovation and absolutely no state of the art ("ours is ____-er than yours"). It took Doug Rutherford and Michael Cesario to CPR that trainwreck back to relevancy. DR didn't last very long; they kept firing Cesario but begging him back. (The difference alone between 1992 and 91/93 is about a light year.) Anyway, say what you will, but this is still a COMPETITIVE arena. Why go to an uneven SCV when BD is down the street? (And drums are averaged to 10 points...they were lucky to get out alive in 4th, thanks to CC's weakness.)

2015 will be 26 years since they've played Phantom of the Opera. Do you think they'll do another throwback show this year? What are your thoughts?

I don't know if its just me, but Throw Back Shows seem to be less the thing to do these days. I've got a feeling they (Throw Backs) have run its course. There's been a few exceptions of course. For me, most enjoyable was Madison's show in 2010. But even still, it's a matter of personal perspective. There's just too much good material out there that's fresh. My 2 cents is to take chances, move into uncharted territory, and create new - not rehash what's already been done. Thank you Bluecoats!

Whatever they choose the drill will be so close intervaled in the brass that they won't be able to clean it and we'll get to watch collisions for the first 3 weeks of the season. Just like every year since Weber got there.

Like Rosander was any different...actually worse in some.

Tell that to Phantom Regiment in 1982, 83, 84. All tradition, a wee bit of innovation and absolutely no state of the art ("ours is ____-er than yours"). It took Doug Rutherford and Michael Cesario to CPR that trainwreck back to relevancy. DR didn't last very long; they kept firing Cesario but begging him back. (The difference alone between 1992 and 91/93 is about a light year.) Anyway, say what you will, but this is still a COMPETITIVE arena. Why go to an uneven SCV when BD is down the street? (And drums are averaged to 10 points...they were lucky to get out alive in 4th, thanks to CC's weakness.)

You jump quite a few years here as Doug Rutherford was the Cadets Drum Major for '87, App. Spring, DCI winner, and 1988 and then served at Cadets a few more seasons on tour staff before bringing the black unis to Rockford.

Doug Rutherford didn't become director until 94 and Cesario was very much a part of the 92 show. (That was a Cesario show through and through.)

• Like 1

You jump quite a few years here as Doug Rutherford was the Cadets Drum Major for '87, App. Spring, DCI winner, and 1988 and then served at Cadets a few more seasons on tour staff before bringing the black unis to Rockford.

I thought Cesario was responsible for the move to all black uniforms?

Why go to an uneven SCV when BD is down the street? (And drums are averaged to 10 points...they were lucky to get out alive in 4th, thanks to CC's weakness.)

It does not appear that you're a drummer, else you would not say such about SCV percussion.

Mike

Heh, no surprise there. I know which corps you like.

And which corps would that be? (Just making sure you aren't thinking of the wrong one). Either way, me having a favorite corps does not mean I hate all the others. While a corps may be my favorite, I can still appreciate other styles. I happen to just not like SCV's drill style very much. So not sure what you're trying to get at with that ad hominem.

I don't know if its just me, but Throw Back Shows seem to be less the thing to do these days. I've got a feeling they (Throw Backs) have run its course. There's been a few exceptions of course. For me, most enjoyable was Madison's show in 2010. But even still, it's a matter of personal perspective. There's just too much good material out there that's fresh. My 2 cents is to take chances, move into uncharted territory, and create new - not rehash what's already been done. Thank you Bluecoats!

I totally agree. If I want to see a great "Phantom of the Opera" show by SCV I can watch either one of their 88 or 89 shows on DVD, Blu-ray, or FN. I'd much prefer to hear new music, see innovative vis. stuff, and be introduced to great literature rather than a rehash or throwback or tribute, or whatever.

That being said, I enjoyed 2013 and 2014 SCV far more than I originally thought so at this point if SCV says they're doing a retread-type show again while I'll be a little bummed they'll have my benefit of the doubt