Vanguard 2015

I don't have to be a drummer to look at a DCI recap. SCV's strength was drums. They KILLED CC in both numbers. Yet they finished ahead by only 0.4. As good as SCV's percussion was, CC's was weak---an constant DCP topic all summer. SCV's Brass and Color Guard numbers were abysmal for a corps with so much BRAINS and CASH in the organization. They are the only corps to appear in EVERY DCI Finals, winning 6 times--- they then went a complete decade without winning (and medaling once). I'm looking at the body of their work; there's no denying they are competitively stagnant. And it isn't a bias against the corps: in 1999, no one was yelling "SCV! SCV! SCV!" any louder than I after their co-championship. That's one of the BEST DCI shows in history, IMO. I wish them well, I really do. If I were a proud alum, I might reconsider donations until they stop coming out every year as BD's gimpy little sister.

Why would you even say something like that?

• Like 5

yes, I am actually old enough to remember St. Patrick's Imperials, St. Matthias, Cedarburg Thunderbolts....even old enough to remember the Mariners and Captain Crunch...and I am from the East.

Then you probably recall a Drum Corps whose official name chosen for themselves was:... " ,The Thing "

The Thing Drum Corps was a merged Corps from this Wisco region of the country. Their uniforms were so multi colored that I think they pretty much locked down all the colors one could find in a crayon box.

( Announcer ) : " Ladies and Gentlemen, on the Starting line, from Cedartrees, Wisconsin,... The Thing !!

" The Thing,are you ready to take the field for competition ? ( pause).Thing you may enter the Field for Competition !! "

( when show finished ): " Ladies and Gentlemen, now passing in review. :.., Thing !!... Lets let the Thing know how much we appreciate them !! .... ( after the applause ): Thank You Thing !! "

Edited by BRASSO

I'm not anti SCV by any means. I'm not a fan of their drill but love them musically. I'll give you that I'm not a fan of cavies in general though!

There's no doubt that SCV has some of the most creative drill on the field right now. I just didn't appreciate the presentation in terms of intervals this summer. Visually otherwise they had a beautiful program. Hopefully a switch back to dark uniforms will fix that since I never noticed the interval issue prior to this summer.

Maybe a switch to darker uniforms will do that because SCV with Weber ( and Rosander before him) tends to have a lot of close intervals in their drill and that's not likely to change that drastically. It allows for more fluid motion and velocity effects on the field.

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Like 2

Der, my bad. I get Phantom '87 and '93 mixed up at times. Both were resurgences (and amazingly RELEVANT) following the awful '86 and very uneven '92 programs.

As I mentioned earlier, Rutherford wasn't the director in 93 and 92 was a Cesario show. I'm still not seeing where you were going with that.

Post-Royer SCV was in a creative slump. Big time. All of a sudden, after trailing all season in 1997, this happened: http://www.fromthepressbox.com/19970809dcicharlotte.htm . They woke up. Two years later, they (co) won. What since? They won high drums in 2004 and (finally) medalled again. That fast-tracked to....to...to? With the myriad of creativity of the Fiedler bunch, expectations were higher than results. Plus, if someone wants to march in a California corps, there's one out there---I dunno---with a helluva relevancy going on right now.

you have a staff of parts from other places all learning to mesh. it doesn't always happen overnight

Hah. Thanks. Was replying to this -

SCV needs to begin attempting innovation again if they want to get anywhere. They need to find music that nobody could possibly expect a corps to use.

2013 - Also Sprach Zarathustra, 2012 - Bela and Bird in Bb, 2010 - La Suerte de los Tontos, 2009 - Happy Days are Here Again, 2008 - Adagio from Spartacus, 2007 - Pegasus, 2005 - Dancer in the Dark, 2003 - Concerto de Aranjuez. This has actually been a pretty kind millenium to shows with previously-used music.

Mike

• Like 3

SCV needs to begin attempting innovation again if they want to get anywhere. They need to find music that nobody could possibly expect a corps to use.

That did exactly that in 2010 and 2011, and everyone complained about SCV doing shows no one wanted to see, and that they needed to get back to playing music everyone had heard before.

That did exactly that in 2010 and 2011, and everyone complained about SCV doing shows no one wanted to see, and that they needed to get back to playing music everyone had heard before.

Yep. It's hard to please EVERYONE. I immensely enjoyed 2012-2014 way more than 2010-2011. The devil's staircase is unlistenable for me.

• Like 2

Those more abstract shows just need to be performed at an extremely high level to score and place well and it wasn't there at that time. With the presumably stronger membership and teachers there now, that direction may be more successful.