Vanguard 2015

Yep. It's hard to please EVERYONE. I immensely enjoyed 2012-2014 way more than 2010-2011. The devil's staircase is unlistenable for me.

I remember during the season there were lots of different opinions on that show.

I love listening to it The ballad "The Eternal Knot" is one of my all time favorites. Another reason i love that show is the percussion writing - the pit in particular is wonderful to listen to.

• Like 3

I remember during the season there were lots of different opinions on that show.

I love listening to it The ballad "The Eternal Knot" is one of my all time favorites. Another reason i love that show is the percussion writing - the pit in particular is wonderful to listen to.

I'm on the weird side of being someone who absolutely loves that show. Hey, everyone seems to have that one show that not very many people liked, and that happens to be the one for me. Not just the percussion stuff, which as you mention is outstanding, my favorite stuff from Rennick since he's been at Vanguard personally. I love listening to it, brass has its sketchy moments for sure in terms of performance, but I really really really like that show. A lot. Love the arranging, LOVE the drill, and that guard is outstanding, at least to my eyes.

2010 I really enjoy as well, didn't when I first saw it, but the visual package in that show is one of my all time favorites. I know I've mentioned this segment, and I think you're another person who seemed to really love it as well, is just absolute eye candy and inspiring to someone who's getting into drill writing. Not just there, but throughout the entire show, it's just visual bliss for me. Musically, I can listen to it, but that's a show I could "watch" all day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFlQHCU45Jk

As far as where they go in 2014......I think I'll be happy whether it be something a little more esoteric and risque or another throwback type show. I'd love something in the vein of 1997 and 1998, those are masterpieces in my eyes, but regardless, I'm sure I'll love whatever they throw together, I don't think that team could throw together a show I couldn't like. And if it's another throwback type show that places 4th or 5th, fine, whatever, as long as it is still distinctly Vanguard, fine by me.

Edited by DrumManTx

2010 I really enjoy as well, didn't when I first saw it, but the visual package in that show is one of my all time favorites. I know I've mentioned this segment, and I think you're another person who seemed to really love it as well, is just absolute eye candy and inspiring to someone who's getting into drill writing. Not just there, but throughout the entire show, it's just visual bliss for me. Musically, I can listen to it, but that's a show I could "watch" all day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFlQHCU45Jk

As far as where they go in 2014......I think I'll be happy whether it be something a little more esoteric and risque or another throwback type show. I'd love something in the vein of 1997 and 1998, those are masterpieces in my eyes, but regardless, I'm sure I'll love whatever they throw together, I don't think that team could throw together a show I couldn't like. And if it's another throwback type show that places 4th or 5th, fine, whatever, as long as it is still distinctly Vanguard, fine by me.

You are right - I love their 2010 show as well. It just seemed so "Vanguard" - lots of subtle and exposed elements in the show. It wasn't designed to hit you over the head. I still can't figure out the drill in that clip you attached.

I also love 2009. Now there's a show with familiar music. However, it was full of that same subtle and exposed elements. Another show not designed to hit you over the head. The whole thing was just so well thought out.

Starting around 2005, more or less I've not been fully drawn into SCV's shows. I like aspects of them all (e.g., the drill ~2006-2008), and I like some shows more than others (e.g., Moto Perpetuo, Les Mis), but I don't know what I'm left wanting from them. I hope they come out this year with something that's not very familiar (unlike last few years -- Starry Night, Les Mis, and Scheherazade are all very familiar), but at the same time doesn't keep me at arm's length (could be my fault and not their's).

Like some of the Cavies drill years ago.

Here's another drill move from the next movement in the same show.

http://youtu.be/Uvi8k5q_Z2Y

There there is the opening drill in their 2008 show. The transitions from triangle to Star of David are from drill heaven.

http://youtu.be/mU9KNk8HO1E

Edited by Lincoln
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

ad hoc (refers to discussion pertinent to a specific matter,) literally "to the thing"

ad hominem (refers to discussion pertinent to a specific person or person's point of view,) literally "to the male human"

Not sanguine that NEITHER of you are using the terms correctly.

either - or

neither - nor

:tounge2:

• Like 1

There's a reason that SCV hasn't brought back Phantom of the Opera. Just like Phantom Regiment hasn't brought back New World Symphony. Once a show has peaked, you just don't want to tarnish the memory. And right or wrong, it gives the impression that the corps has run out of ideas.

Yes, I know plenty of corps have brought back highly popular, even legendary shows. But I'd say that the record is mixed. For every '08 Phantom, there's a '92 SCV. The reason SCV '14 worked so well is that the '04 edition of Scheherazade, while outstanding, just didn't achieve the mythic status of 1989. It's also worth pointing out that the corps still had places to go with it creatively that hadn't really been explored in 2004.

For more recent examples of retreads that just left something to be desired, consider '09 Cadets or '05 Scouts. Decent shows, and crowd pleasers to be sure, but hardly competitive juggernauts.

There's plenty of other music out there for Vanguard to make a modern statement. No need to reach back to the past.

Now, if we can just get Vanguard to bring back the longer gauntlets and ditch the bicycle step...

There's a reason that SCV hasn't brought back Phantom of the Opera. Just like Phantom Regiment hasn't brought back New World Symphony. Once a show has peaked, you just don't want to tarnish the memory. And right or wrong, it gives the impression that the corps has run out of ideas.

Yes, I know plenty of corps have brought back highly popular, even legendary shows. But I'd say that the record is mixed. For every '08 Phantom, there's a '92 SCV. The reason SCV '14 worked so well is that the '04 edition of Scheherazade, while outstanding, just didn't achieve the mythic status of 1989. It's also worth pointing out that the corps still had places to go with it creatively that hadn't really been explored in 2004.

For more recent examples of retreads that just left something to be desired, consider '09 Cadets or '05 Scouts. Decent shows, and crowd pleasers to be sure, but hardly competitive juggernauts.

There's plenty of other music out there for Vanguard to make a modern statement. No need to reach back to the past.

Now, if we can just get Vanguard to bring back the longer gauntlets and ditch the bicycle step...

I dunno, 04 seems to have achieved a very mythic status to where many felt 14 fell short

• Like 1