Vanguard 2015

Phantom, but especially Blue Devils.

I see you banner at the bottom too.

I didn't think I was attacking your character ( ad hominem) as much as I was pointing out that it seems like you don't seem to like certain design elements from a few corps.

That's simply based on my interpretation of YOUR posts. I was simply pointing that out.

Please don't think I'm attacking your character. If anything it's more friendly castigation.

Blue devils? Lol.

I really love BD's post 2008 shows yet can't find myself to listen to anything by them before that. They are by no means my favorite, but yeah I do like their recent trajectory.

Ah, bright person that you are: you must have read my other thread, http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/index.php/topic/161399-kudos-to-pioneer/#entry3421345

:exclamation:

When several corps from the Milwaukee area merged together they called themselves 'The Thing' ; later renamed Pioneer.

yes, I am actually old enough to remember St. Patrick's Imperials, St. Matthias, Cedarburg Thunderbolts....even old enough to remember the Mariners and Captain Crunch...and I am from the East.

But do you remember Sea Monkeys? What a disappointment!

Funny Gayle Royer real life story while we wait for the young uns to google whippersnappers.

I was viz teching for a Long Island corps when Gayle Royer came East to do the DCI BoD investigation of whether the corps would be business worthy in what we now call World Class.

It was the time of marching tympani.

The corps was off to supper break when I was asked by the director, a rather verbose fellow who liked to please dignitaries as if they were long lost cousins, to strap on a tympani. Gayle was going through the equipment vehicles and saw a different type of drum harness from what he used out at SCV. He and the director, the quartermaster who had manufactured and rigged the thing, and the the percussion instructor debated the pros and cons for over what seemed like two hours. I was left standing there wearing the thing for the whole time; it was 90+ degrees at 8 p.m., not very usual in L.I. humid weather especially at the water front practice field.

Eventually................Gayle moved on to cymbals and color guard equipment. My shoulders have never been the same since sez this wannabee horn player.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 1

Blue devils? Lol.

I really love BD's post 2008 shows yet can't find myself to listen to anything by them before that. They are by no means my favorite, but yeah I do like their recent trajectory.

Yes, I was talking about post 2008 shows because that's what you constantly praise here. You can correct me if I'm wrong.

Interesting to me that anti SCV/Cavies usually means pro Blue Devils. I'm sure there are some other combos out there like Cadets/Crown, Cavies/Crown...

Just different styles of design, but it kinda gets me we people are so critical of SCV because of their drill writers' design choices when he's got some of the best pure drill around.

Yes, I was talking about post 2008 shows because that's what you constantly praise here. You can correct me if I'm wrong.

Interesting to me that anti SCV/Cavies usually means pro Blue Devils. I'm sure there are some other combos out there like Cadets/Crown, Cavies/Crown...

Just different styles of design, but it kinda gets me we people are so critical of SCV because of their drill writers' design choices when he's got some of the best pure drill around.

I'm not anti SCV by any means. I'm not a fan of their drill but love them musically. I'll give you that I'm not a fan of cavies in general though!

There's no doubt that SCV has some of the most creative drill on the field right now. I just didn't appreciate the presentation in terms of intervals this summer. Visually otherwise they had a beautiful program. Hopefully a switch back to dark uniforms will fix that since I never noticed the interval issue prior to this summer.

Edited by Cappybara

You jump quite a few years here as Doug Rutherford was the Cadets Drum Major for '87, App. Spring, DCI winner, and 1988 and then served at Cadets a few more seasons on tour staff before bringing the black unis to Rockford.

Der, my bad. I get Phantom '87 and '93 mixed up at times. Both were resurgences (and amazingly RELEVANT) following the awful '86 and very uneven '92 programs.

It does not appear that you're a drummer, else you would not say such about SCV percussion.

Mike

I don't have to be a drummer to look at a DCI recap. SCV's strength was drums. They KILLED CC in both numbers. Yet they finished ahead by only 0.4. As good as SCV's percussion was, CC's was weak---an constant DCP topic all summer. SCV's Brass and Color Guard numbers were abysmal for a corps with so much BRAINS and CASH in the organization. They are the only corps to appear in EVERY DCI Finals, winning 6 times--- they then went a complete decade without winning (and medaling once). I'm looking at the body of their work; there's no denying they are competitively stagnant. And it isn't a bias against the corps: in 1999, no one was yelling "SCV! SCV! SCV!" any louder than I after their co-championship. That's one of the BEST DCI shows in history, IMO. I wish them well, I really do. If I were a proud alum, I might reconsider donations until they stop coming out every year as BD's gimpy little sister.