Troopers 2015: "Wild Horses"

Not trying to bash the members in any way at all by the way. If anything, I'm disappointed in the instructional staff. This hornline is VERY talented and you could hear that whenever they stood still to play a technical passage or a power chord. But when they started moving, especially in the trumpets, you could hear the feet. Hopefully they'll continue to work on that for the rest of the season.

• Like 2

Interesting analysis....brass judges have been commending them on how well they move and play. Before making comments about how poor a staff is....maybe one should first know what kind if commentary the judging community is giving them!!

Interesting analysis....brass judges have been commending them on how well they move and play. Before making comments about how poor a staff is....maybe one should first know what kind if commentary the judging community is giving them!!

I'm free to give my input on the way a corps plays just as much as a judge does, but I'll keep that in mind :)

• Like 1

Cappybara...I am curious to know how you are aware that the members have not been taught the proper marching technique as you stated earlier.

Brass judges are commending them in the brass scores as well.

The issue is visual. Those visual judges have been saying for over a week that it is not how well you are playing, it is what you look like when you are playing. As others have noted, it appears that the Vis Analysis and Vis Proficiency are the issue as of now. If you could (I know, I know it USED to be possible) go and watch the brass on the move from the waist down. It's clear there are individual and ensemble issues that there shouldn't be at this point in the season.

Can they clean it and will the members respond? As a Trooper mark, I can hold out hope. History (for the most part) show that the judging community has usually made it's mind up by Atlanta.

Anyways, just me musing out loud.

• Like 1

It was a pleasure to gather with fellow alums to provide and serve a meal this morning to the Troopers! Breakfast tacos, bagels and cream cheese, fruit, yogurt and granola were on the menu. (A welcome break from truck food!) And, while I was there I ascertained the following:

There were tons of changes put into the show in the last week, and the heavies on the staff (Van Doren, etc.) were there to work with the changes and the general overall show package. The next week includes lots of rehearsal days and less travel time in excellent venues for visual work, and they'll take advantage of that as much as possible. That said, every other corps in the pack is going to be pushing their own envelopes as well, so it's going to be a real race to the finish.

GO TROOP!

• Like 2

As a long time trooper fan, and I really believe this. Troopers CAN make finals this year!!! The days of hanging in that 17-14 grouping every year is over for them!

I am interested to know how the singing factors into the overall judging? Madison Smith has a beautiful voice suited for the theme of this show (regardless of my own personal opinion about vocals). However, what I heard through the webcast yesterday was a young lady catching her breath and really struggling to hold pitch.

Was it just me, or did anyone else hear this? And...does this impact the score at all?

Brass judges are only allowed to reward simultaneous responsibility, not analyze visual proficiency or content.

So if anything, you're the one that needs to check yoself befo you wreck yoself.