Troopers 2015: "Wild Horses"

It was a pleasure to gather with fellow alums to provide and serve a meal this morning to the Troopers! Breakfast tacos, bagels and cream cheese, fruit, yogurt and granola were on the menu. (A welcome break from truck food!) And, while I was there I ascertained the following:

There were tons of changes put into the show in the last week, and the heavies on the staff (Van Doren, etc.) were there to work with the changes and the general overall show package. The next week includes lots of rehearsal days and less travel time in excellent venues for visual work, and they'll take advantage of that as much as possible. That said, every other corps in the pack is going to be pushing their own envelopes as well, so it's going to be a real race to the finish.

GO TROOP!

Therein is the problem though. The "heavies" as you put it, aren't fixing feet. They are in the captions already doing well. The phone calls should be to the "heavies" friends to fix something that can really be addressed in 3 weeks. Feet.

DVD has the hornline sounding good.

Edited by GeneralTsoChicken

Some think the visual is the problem, but this is where everything goes wrong for the 2015 Troopers:

The following is from the Troopers production materials--"Scene one paints the scene of the wide open spaces of the West. The pack of wild horses takes the field with energy and conviction and runs free throughout the movement. Scene two sees one of the herd being fenced in with attempts to tame the wild soul. The final scene is about breaking free. We see the lone horse join back with the herd and run free, all while various attempts are made to capture and tame the entire pack."

• Like 1

Some think the visual is the problem, but this is where everything goes wrong for the 2015 Troopers:

The following is from the Troopers production materials--"Scene one paints the scene of the wide open spaces of the West. The pack of wild horses takes the field with energy and conviction and runs free throughout the movement. Scene two sees one of the herd being fenced in with attempts to tame the wild soul. The final scene is about breaking free. We see the lone horse join back with the herd and run free, all while various attempts are made to capture and tame the entire pack."

I've never criticized the visual composition. Actually haven't seen much of that from anyone, really.

The execution and individual movement/marching instruction is what lacks.

The show makes sense. The show is well thought out. The hornline plays. The guard is under valued. The percussion, while not the best, is good enough for their competitive range. The eye test, just shows the visual instruction being behind. Because guard and composition factors into every sheet (even visual proficiency) it is hard to metrically prove that, but the consensus seems real.

I am interested to know how the singing factors into the overall judging? Madison Smith has a beautiful voice suited for the theme of this show (regardless of my own personal opinion about vocals). However, what I heard through the webcast yesterday was a young lady catching her breath and really struggling to hold pitch.

Was it just me, or did anyone else hear this? And...does this impact the score at all?

Yes, other's have noticed. And it should impact the music portion of the score, be it proficiency, GE, or both.

Brass judges are only allowed to rewa

So if anything, you're the one that needs to check yoself befo you wreck yoself.[/q

Not worth the time for a response to that

Edited by randyb

They said..

Interesting analysis....brass judges have been commending them on how well they move and play. Before making comments about how poor a staff is....maybe one should first know what kind if commentary the judging community is giving them!!

You said..

Brass judges are only allowed to reward simultaneous responsibility, not analyze visual proficiency or content.

So if anything, you're the one that needs to check yoself befo you wreck yoself.

So I said what I said..