Troopers 2015: "Wild Horses"

The visual staff is VERY young. All of them. The caption head aged out like five years ago. They are a talented staff with lots of experience (almost all of them marched Crown) but they are also a young and new staff, so it may take a few years with the corps for them to perfect teaching methods that can get the corps to improve visually. It's too bad that their visual is lacking, but we should appreciate the fact that their hornline is absolutely awesome!

The visual staff is VERY young. All of them. The caption head aged out like five years ago. They are a talented staff with lots of experience (almost all of them marched Crown) but they are also a young and new staff, so it may take a few years with the corps for them to perfect teaching methods that can get the corps to improve visually. It's too bad that their visual is lacking, but we should appreciate the fact that their hornline is absolutely awesome!

The horn line does have a great sound this year...More credit needed

BUT all those things you mentioned doesnt mean success. Young,marching Crown, etc etc. some visual staff was also with crown. Just because one marches somewhere doesnt mean they can teach. Many bands make this mistake hiring from top corps only to find out teaching is totally different from learning from someone else. Of course there are those who are just a natural and do well for their groups.

• Like 2

The horn line does have a great sound this year...More credit needed

BUT all those things you mentioned doesnt mean success. Young,marching Crown, etc etc. some visual staff was also with crown. Just because one marches somewhere doesnt mean they can teach. Many bands make this mistake hiring from top corps only to find out teaching is totally different from learning from someone else. Of course there are those who are just a natural and do well for their groups.

So true. One of the best vis techs I ever had was in 08', he was a Pioneer alum who had marched in the 90s. Edited by rancidrolla
  • Like 2

Some think the visual is the problem, but this is where everything goes wrong for the 2015 Troopers:

The following is from the Troopers production materials--"Scene one paints the scene of the wide open spaces of the West. The pack of wild horses takes the field with energy and conviction and runs free throughout the movement. Scene two sees one of the herd being fenced in with attempts to tame the wild soul. The final scene is about breaking free. We see the lone horse join back with the herd and run free, all while various attempts are made to capture and tame the entire pack."

Did Troop ever correct "pack" to "herd", or is the error still on their site somewhere?

Edit: The mistake may have been made by a public relations intern and have nothing to do with the designers' concepts, of course.

Edited by N.E. Brigand

Seeing as I know several people on vis staff I'm gonna call bs. Nobody was saying these problems the last couple years and they all have been on staff since 13. A lot of this visual staff is apart of Plymouth canton educational park a great BOA band. Drill designer and visual coordinator has a lot of experience ranging from dci to wgi. And IMO a younger staff is better because they are fresh off knowing all the information. They know what the activity needs.

• Like 1

In a way I guess. With the understanding of marching and playing being in fact simultaneous responsibilities, your reply to Randyb seemed a little strange and unnecessary.

As I stated not worth a comment back. I realize I have a vested interest in Troop, my daughter, but I also have been involved with the activity for a few and I must say that while the the visual staff is young, they are providing an excellent teaching concept and as Blue Stained Glass stated they are building a program. Takes time...that is all!!

Edited by randyb
  • Like 1

Seeing as I know several people on vis staff I'm gonna call bs. Nobody was saying these problems the last couple years and they all have been on staff since 13. A lot of this visual staff is apart of Plymouth canton educational park a great BOA band. Drill designer and visual coordinator has a lot of experience ranging from dci to wgi. And IMO a younger staff is better because they are fresh off knowing all the information. They know what the activity needs.

Sorry I got some of the staff info wrong. I know a couple guys just started this year but I thought more than that did. I didn't realize most have been around since 2013.

True in part. it all depends on the people not the age or where they came from. The most successful names in the activity winter and summer have been doing this quite a while. As well as some great contributions from those they took under their wing. Nooone does this alone ( in any corps ). it might be a stretch thinking a certain group alone knows what the activity needs

.Good young designers know how to listen and watch. It shows every time when a new young designer does this. It makes those who have done this at a high level stop and take notice. its a good thing

Troopers also have a very good product. it just happens to be a year that many are good and are around the same areas. Some of these corps and the area of competition with others, anything can still happen

Edited by GUARDLING