Fan Network - Why have you forsaken me?

Got a response, and as I and others feared, yup, it is copyright issues.

"Several of the archived videos had to be removed due to copyright licensing issues. They were taken down in compliance with a request from the publisher. We at the Fan Network are currently exploring our options for hosting this content again in the future. We apologize for the inconvenience. Please let me know if you have any additional questions."

Several is a bit of an understatement. More like a large quantity...

I know recording rights are complicated. Many have chimed in about how complex they are and how much more complex they will become as days pass.

Yet, when there are multiple deletions in an online library, who contacted whom? Did all the publishers suddenly contact DCI, or was it a more a move by DCI to be proactive?

I wish there was something like a "statute of limitations" for issues like this, yet I have almost "0" understanding of American law.

Regardless, an email should have been sent upon removal of the videos.

I totally agree with that. I'm just saying I am not surprised that it keeps happening, the removals I mean.

I would imagine that subscribers would legally have the right to a complete and full refund. Its not the subscribers fault that the seller could not deliver the services promised. Thats an issue between DCI and the 3rd party demands. The current subscribers were not involved in either the demand, nor the agreement between the parties to reach such an agreement between themselves. I'm not a lawyer, but it seems to me that subscribers who signed up for a service, and that service will not be delivered upon as promised and agreed to, will be entitled to exercise their buyer rights to a complete and full refund if they chose to.

Edited by BRASSO

Well, based on the the shows that have been removed, it appears that DCI was contacted by at least the license holders for music by Leonard Bernstein, Chick Corea, Ottorini Respighi, Andrew Lloyd Webber, and John Williams.

I came up with the exact same list, and also Gershwin, but only Rhapsody in Blue, which is odd. That 84 Garfield was spared is also odd.

I know recording rights are complicated. Many have chimed in about how complex they are and how much more complex they will become as days pass.

Yet, when there are multiple deletions in an online library, who contacted whom? Did all the publishers suddenly contact DCI, or was it a more a move by DCI to be proactive?

I wish there was something like a "statute of limitations" for issues like this, yet I have almost "0" understanding of American law.

You bring up great points. I feel it's probably being more proactive than anything. At the same time, many composers and of the corporations that hold these rights hire people to search the internet to seek out people that may be infringing on copyright. Some others do it themselves. Disney, for example, sweeps the internet every few months to see if movies, music, etc. is being used. Hence the reason if you search youtube, you won't find full versions of Disney films, but you can of the 1986 movie Rad.

As for the statute of limitations, there is one. Unfortunately it comes with many stipulations. For example, the death of the writer, followed by a period of time.

Here are some good resources that gives some of the dates and information, but if you take the time to read through it, nothing is necessarily "set in stone."

https://copyright.cornell.edu/resources/publicdomain.cfm

http://www.lehmannstrobel.com/articles/music-synchronization-rights/

As I stated before, I agree DCI should contact the people that have the fan network, which would be fairly simple, but that doesn't mean that they won't pull more videos, or that they knew when they launched the site and made the DVD's and CD's that these issues would never come up again. It's a revolving door.

There is, but because of legislation passed at Disney's behest (ironically, since Disney's fortunes are built on the re-use of material in the public domain), that "statue of limitations" is now on the order of 95 years or so.

I would imagine that subscribers would legally have the right to a complete and full refund. Its not the subscribers fault that the seller could not deliver the services promised. Thats an issue between DCI and the 3rd party demands. The current subscribers were not involved in either the demand, nor the agreement between the parties to reach such an agreement between themselves. I'm not a lawyer, but it seems to me that subscribers who signed up for a service, and that service will not be delivered upon as promised and agreed to, will be entitled to exercise their buyer rights to a complete and full refund if they chose to.

I've been a Fan Network subscriber for a long time. I won't be asking for a refund because I'm under the impression that for DCI to follow through on this is quite an endeavour.

I came up with the exact same list, and also Gershwin, but only Rhapsody in Blue, which is odd. That 84 Garfield was spared is also odd.

It's often based on individual works. For example, David Holsinger restricts movement 2 from his Easter Symphony, but not movement 1 and 3. You can use the music of Irving Berlin, but it's hard to get the rights to God Bless America. Disney restricts most things from movies that are less than 6 months old.

http://www.bands.org/Public/resourceroom/copyright/copyright_guide.asp

I've been a Fan Network subscriber for a long time. I won't be asking for a refund because I'm under the impression that for DCI to follow through on this is quite an endeavour.

Yes, I 'm sure there will be others that will do so too. My only point is that if subscribers DID demand a full and complete refund, I would both understand their position, and believe that DCI would probably be legally obligated to honor that refund demand. I'll let this play out, learn more, then make an informed decision. No need to act rashly. That said, I'm not pleased that DCI did not even have the common courtesy to email us subscribers simultaneously as they were deleting a substantial portion of their product offerings. No excuse for that, imo.

Edited by BRASSO

There is, but because of legislation passed at Disney's behest (ironically, since Disney's fortunes are built on the re-use of material in the public domain), that "statue of limitations" is now on the order of 95 years or so.

Are you referring to the stories that Disney used, or the work they produced? If it is the work that disney produced, there is nothing the Walt Disney Company made prior to 1923.