Marching member costs concerns

OP, you ask one very good question...."Is it all necessary?"

No, it's not necessary. And I agree, I wouldn't call it elitist. But it's a HUGE commitment, and it is expensive, both in what it costs, and the income not made in a summer job. Whether it's worth it is an individual decision. If your family can't afford it, then that answers it for you. It's certainly not required if (heaven forbid) your child wants to be a music major.

I tried to look at your profile to see what, if any, DCI corps you have actually been involved with as an instructor, management, or someone who knew the inside of the audition process. I drew a blank. I do not dispute the atrocities of the financial costs especially in light of college costs and the current economy. But my experience as instructor, administrator, and person involved in the behind the scenes of corps and WGI tells me you are unaware and just being argumentitive. I hope your Christmas is better than that.

I'm unaware and argumentative because you have no actual basis for your claim aside from your own anecdotal evidence?

I don't publish the groups I work with because I don't want my opinions or correspondence to be representative of those organizations. Its an old habit that I've kept from when forums like these were pretty new.

That being said, I've been involved in the activity both (indoor and drum corps) for a very long time, and the kinds of requirements you're suggesting exist simply don't. There is no unspoken expectation that every member of a percussion section be marching indoor at the same time (nor have indoor experience at all). Top tier groups expect previous experience, just as they have since long before indoor became large enough for the two activities to share members as largely as they do now. That expectation of experience is not a secret. There are tons of threads on this forum discussing it. Maybe its a bigger issue on the guard side. I don't know. However, you're the one suggesting there's some secret expectation, so the onus is on you to back it up.

Sometimes, due to insufficient planning, I would find myself spending the last dollar in my wallet for the last gas fill-up on the final push home. However, there's simply nothing like your daughter handing you the bag with two Quarter-Pounders-with-cheese (that she purchased for you -- unsolicited -- with HER money -- on the final lunch/supper/midnight snack stop), handing it to you with a knowing smile on her face, and a daughterly peck on your cheek, with the words "Here, Dad. Thank you. And...I Love You."

Been there done that man. I can remember sitting in the parking lot in Indy one night after finals thinking.. " Hmm I have about 750 miles to drive, a 1/2 tank and $20 dollars and..." But we made it lol. Drove all night straight trough all 12 hours.

Hope she has started fund raising for that possibility.

Naw I will figure it out. Their mom is a teacher. I'm just glad when one of them marches so I can ship her off for a month or two to cook. And since she is the youngest I will get an empty solo house for like a month man!!!

Been there done that man. I can remember sitting in the parking lot in Indy one night after finals thinking.. " Hmm I have about 750 miles to drive, a 1/2 tank and $20 dollars and..." But we made it lol. Drove all night straight trough all 12 hours.

Naw I will figure it out. Their mom is a teacher. I'm just glad when one of them marches so I can ship her off for a month or two to cook. And since she is the youngest I will get an empty solo house for like a month man!!!

Man's house for an entire month??? Yee-HAW!!! :smile:

As a parent that has been involved in both travel hockey for 10 years, HS band for 9yrs, and Drum Corp for 7 yrs. We know the cost of doing business in each one. Hockey in California is not cheap, since there is limited Ice time and at the time it was $325.00 an hr, and they practiced at least 2 or 3 day a week. Just traveling from rink to rink wasn't cheap, since the rinks are at least 1hr apart, some are 21/2 hrs and all for just 1 game.

HS Marching Band we have been involved in the band for 9 yrs with both of kids(daughter did HS color guard as an 8th grader)and it used to be about $800 and it was required. These past years Fair Share Contribution was asking for $1100. The band can not require you to pay thanks to the ACLU. Expenses are buses, hotels, uniforms, instruments, staff(non district)trucks to haul, music rights, food, and I probably forgot something. Plain and simple it costs to play!

We have been involved in Drum Corp for 7 yrs, My son started in BDB 2yrs, aged out from Madison 5 yrs, my daughter did 3yrs BDC, 1 yr BDB and is going back this year. Having my son in BD was nice all we had to pay was $1500 and gas money to get back and fourth. Then he made Scouts and the tryouts and camp in Indy. Plane tickets during the 5 yrs ranged from $300 to $500 each month + fees of around $1500. The costs are a little different in drum corp. They still have the buses, but no hotels, they get gym floors, and food trucks instead of catering and staff is probably a little more expensive also.

This year it will be nice following just BDB and paying for gas to get there, my son was hired on by the Blue Knights as Visual Staff, so we will root for them also. We will always be rooting for Madison and the Brotherhood.

• Like 2

You may have the letter of the law here, but not the spirit of the law of reality as it is in 2015.

Very few DCI finalist corps do not expect guard or percussion members to have WGI experience, particularly in the guard world.

Having paid or arranged more than enough sponsorships for several dozen DCI finalists over the years, I speak from personal experience as well as one who had some input in the audition process. I can particularly underscore that this is the reality in the top 1-10 even if it never appears any where in print. Ask the vets and you'll get confirmation/affirmation.

Agree 100%. And WGI starts with auditions in September followed by their own camps in November. So guard members are juggling that time with corps auditions as well as expenses. And the thing is, they could very well audition for the very same staff at WGI as DCI.

Fish

Moose

Deer

Scissors

Trousers

Don't forget pants and underwear

• Like 1

I think the cost of drum corps is probably not that much more than the costs associated with similar levels in the athletic world and performing arts world. Lots of parents are thrilled when kids excel at basketball or soccer. How expensive can they be as compared with hockey or lacrosse? They are relatively inexpensive, until the kid plays for AAU teams. Depending on the team and coach, it can be two or three grand, perhaps even more (they may have gone up in price). I was recently talking with a friend whose daughter, a junior in high school, dances with a major ballet company. Lessons are free, and the kids get paid, but my friend learned there is a price. She was recently in "The Nutcracker" and the parents had to pay for the costume, which she does not get to keep, had to help pay for sets, volunteer, and do fund raising for the company. This was not a small town dance company either, it is one of the major ballet companies in the United States. The better you are at something, the more it will cost.

My understanding is most drum corps are good at helping kids raise money to march and some provide scholarships, but I think we forget that if kids need scholarships to march, they probably also need scholarships for school, so it may not be the drum corps fees that are expensive but the loss of a summer income for fall tuition. Also, since internships are becoming more important for future jobs as well as admission to grad school, this could also put drum corps out of the range for many.

Regarding school programs, my home state does not have too many bands with the programs which cost a great deal and the schools that do have the best bands with all the bells and whistles that I know of also have excellent booster programs. Fees for low income students who wish to play sports or participate in school activities are waived in most communities, and in Massachusetts, the guidelines are those of the lunch programs--you qualify for free lunch, you do not have to pay any fees. However, there is a loophole that keeps many, especially those in low income areas from participating in these activities. Fees often do not cover the major expenses such as uniforms, equipment, travel, etc. Many of these schools do not have marching band programs, and some of the schools have been able to get corporate sponsors to cover the expenses of athletics, but cost can prohibitive and there are no easy solutions.

Edited by Tim K

Agree 100%. And WGI starts with auditions in September followed by their own camps in November. So guard members are juggling that time with corps auditions as well as expenses. And the thing is, they could very well audition for the very same staff at WGI as DCI.

just as DCI WGI or guard or percussion auditions can be very different. YES sometimes a member can fit into both and no need for the audition BUT often it's about the possible members together side by side. Bottom line YES it is an expensive activity all around BUT as I have told people at auditions or just in general , life is also about choices and the fact sometime we CAN"T have it or do it all.. MAKE A CHOICE. sometimes it's necessary in life.

AS far as amounts, dues on either end winter or summer, doesnt come close to actually paying for a member in many cases. Try sending a kid away for an entire summer to some camp, feed them , lodge them, transport them and teach them....jmo

• Like 1

I have to say that I think drum corps is a screaming great deal when it comes to finances. $3000 for a whole summer? A few hundred meals, lodging, travel, instruction? A much shorter time at a camp, summer program or other activity comes at a far greater cost.

The fact that a "poor college student" can't afford fights across the country? Boo hoo. You chose the college life, and if you can't afford to do drum corps? That is a CHOICE. Your family doesn't have the funds for both? Welcome to adulthood. I've been involved in the activity a long time, and I do see many kids that work very hard to do both college and corps. I've seen many kids that get it all paid for, i've seen some that make a choice, and I've seen several that spend hours watching t.v., playing games and goofing off instead of working a part time job. Some have chosen a family vacation or a newer car over a summer of corps. Some kids stare blankly when you talk to them about fundraising and then pull lint out of their pockets when tour fee is due.

Over 700 kids made the trek to a few top 12 audition camps, and the vast majority will not even consider a closer corps that is in Open Class or was not in the top 12 last year. I would want the same, but life isn't fair. And trust me, if your kid is a super star of some kind they won't have to attend every camp or even pay all the the dues, but DCI is full of talent and lots of great hard working kids. If your kid doesn't have a "S" on their chest they better plan on attending camps and paying in full.

$3000 is a lot of money, but in reality you are paying $3000 for $5000-$6000 (or more) worth of services. When broken down, raising funds to do corps is tough but doable. Yes there are extenuating circumstances, but most can make it happen with lots of hard work and sacrifice. And those that make the commitment are rewarded handsomely.