Marching member costs concerns

I guess ... but I could swear I saw a high school or college budget somewhere a week or so, that had $80/uniform (which admittedly seems way too cheap). $500 seems utterly ridiculous.

Even some catalog winter guard and percussion uniforms can be 100 to 200 and used a few months. BUT we forget or dont realize, a little dance recital costume can cost into the hundreds for a 5 year old to dance in their little bumble bee costume and usually there are a few changes.

Does anyone know how much a standard shako costs?

maybe 40 or 50 bucks for one of those basic , kind of old fashioned bandy looking ones...lol..a more contemporary or custom shako can be much more. Sometimes if you work with a company the things like gloves, hats , maybe shoes ( if getting alot and everything ) can be discussed but then again it depends who is doing the buying. Like everything in life.lol

Former figure skating parent here...wanna talk skating dresses???

Oh, please do.

Thank you for the most kind invitation; let's just say that ONE season's cost of such dresses (skates, ice time, and coaching costs not included) amounted to far more than a single marcher's uniform costs for about...oh...15 years or so...roughly speaking, that is. And no...I am in no way, shape, or form related to Bill Cook.

Edited by HornTeacher

Former figure skating parent here...wanna talk skating dresses???

Interesting side note.

You may know D(e)anna's name from doing so many US Nationals and Olympic figure skating costumes.

She's a Garfield Cadets' percussion line alumna who has done major seamstress duties for both Cadets and Cavaliers.

And she knows her drum corps as well as she knows her Triple Lutz'es.

Edited by xandandl

Interesting side note.

You may know D(e)anna's name from doing so many US Nationals and Olympic figure skating costumes.

She's a Garfield Cadets' percussion line alumna who has done major seamstress duties for both Cadets and Cavaliers.

And she knows her drum corps as well as she knows her Triple Lutz'es.

I can do a Triple Klutz

• Like 1

I can do a Triple Klutz

I can do a triple scotch. :ninja:

• Like 3

Star was only charging $250 to march in the early 1990s. It was all determined by the audition. Of course, they DID have a corporate sponsor, but Cook Group didn't exactly put their name out front.