Blue Knights 2015

Can someone provide some insight into the show? I love what I'm seeing and hearing but I'm just having a hard time putting it with the show announcement description. Do the mirrors have some sort of meaning in connection with the show? Last years I got from the first viewing even without the closer. Regardless of that it's some fantastic playing and marching going on. Brass and Percussion are top tier. I'm assuming things are going to be added in the thematic aspect?

And NO "Just Because" isn't an answer. :silly:

Edited by DrumManTx

I'll be seeing them in Pasadena next week.

I'll be in Pasadena too wearing my Scouts gear..

GO BK! really looking forward to this show. I took drum crops newbies last year,, they adored BK more then anyone else!

• Like 2

From the Blue Knights Webpage:

When you ask Why? unless you include the whole reality of existence found so easily in the world around us, the only logical answer is Because

Of course they're basing their show off the lyrics from the Beatles song- Because-

In the opening Mello/Baritone Featire you get the first full phrase of the music:

-Because the earth is Round, it turns me on

-Because the Wind, is high, it blows my mind

-Because the Wind is high, Ahh

-Love is old, Love is new

-Love is all, Love is you

These are my takes:

In the fast movement titled "Rush" you get lots of circular mvt, drill/connective music that plays into the the earth is round- the turning on would be a celebratory feeling or elation. The idea is that in all life we follow the word Because with some type of emotion. Think how many times as a child u say because in relation to a question that made you feel something specific- anger, aggression, happiness, sadness etc. the opener is portraying in my mind the elation of being alive and enjoying life.

In the second mvt- Après Moi, we get a decidedly different feel-The wind is high is represented perhaps in the soloists playing in the upper octaves of their instruments, you have more floating/wind like drill and the guard is spinning shaped weapons that look wind blown- the mood is decidedly more somber/Aggressive/angry even.

In the mvt to come Fly to Paradise we'll see a true celebration into a celebration of life and the human spirit.

These are my takes on the show as it is- as more visual items and completion happens I know things will be easier to read or perhaps feel. As it is now it's drum corps nuts and bolts. Good ones but not yet complete or whole. I also think that while last year's theme resonated and gave so many of us personal feelings/experiences it also was vivid. Perhaps it's also the intent of the staff for us to explore the Beatles Because lyrics in our own way so that we may draw our own feelings or emotions in how that word "because" has had impact in our lives. I could be totally wrong but this is my take on the show as it is coming along and what the staff has put out there. Also take a look at the Blue Knights Vic Firth early season video posted here earlier and listen to Mike Jackson- per caption speak a bit of insight about the program. Hope this helps

Wes P

Edited by wesleyrp
  • Like 3

Unfortunately, I really like the Blue Knights, but this show just isn't doing anything for me yet. I've seen it live-- not just videos.

Maybe it's because the show isn't fully complete yet. I'm not sure why the Blue Knights are okay with being so far behind many of the other corps. People are paying money to see their show, and many people I've spoken to are very disappointed in the Blue Knights because since their show isn't even remotely done, no one understands the full extent of what they are trying to say.

Now, I know the Blue Knights don't really care about what a few audience members think, and I understand that they are more concerned with how the final product in August connects with folks, and I get that. Though, I just don't think it would be worth it for me to put out a product that is so under-developed at the beginning of the season that not many people understand it.

Lots of work to do, Blue Knights.......

From the Blue Knights Webpage:

When you ask Why? unless you include the whole reality of existence found so easily in the world around us, the only logical answer is Because

Of course they're basing their show off the lyrics from the Beatles song- Because-

In the opening Mello/Baritone Featire you get the first full phrase of the music:

-Because the earth is Round, it turns me on

-Because the Wind, is high, it blows my mind

-Because the Wind is high, Ahh

-Love is old, Love is new

-Love is all, Love is you

These are my takes:

In the fast movement titled "Rush" you get lots of circular mvt, drill/connective music that plays into the the earth is round- the turning on would be a celebratory feeling or elation. The idea is that in all life we follow the word Because with some type of emotion. Think how many times as a child u say because in relation to a question that made you feel something specific- anger, aggression, happiness, sadness etc. the opener is portraying in my mind the elation of being alive and enjoying life.

In the second mvt- Après Moi, we get a decidedly different feel-The wind is high is represented perhaps in the soloists playing in the upper octaves of their instruments, you have more floating/wind like drill and the guard is spinning shaped weapons that look wind blown- the mood is decidedly more somber/Aggressive/angry even.

In the mvt to come Fly to Paradise we'll see a true celebration into a celebration of life and the human spirit.

These are my takes on the show as it is- as more visual items and completion happens I know things will be easier to read or perhaps feel. As it is now it's drum corps nuts and bolts. Good ones but not yet complete or whole. I also think that while last year's theme resonated and gave so many of us personal feelings/experiences it also was vivid. Perhaps it's also the intent of the staff for us to explore the Beatles Because lyrics in our own way so that we may draw our own feelings or emotions in how that word "because" has had impact in our lives. I could be totally wrong but this is my take on the show as it is coming along and what the staff has put out there. Also take a look at the Blue Knights Vic Firth early season video posted here earlier and listen to Mike Jackson- per caption speak a bit of insight about the program. Hope this helps

Wes P

Great take! I'd say this is a good interpretation of the show. Interestingly, your explanation of Rush is similar to the first movement of BK's 2015 indoor percussion show.

I've seen the Vic Firth video as well, so I guess it's a moods type show where it isn't spelled out for you? It doesn't need to be for sure, just not sure what I'm watching/listening to at the moment. Not saying I don't like it, certainly like what they're playing and the visual package is cool, just seems extremely vague right now. We'll see, not by any means closing my mind off right now. Hoping some additions throughout the season bring some clarity for me! Maybe I'm just an idiot. :tounge2:

Once again the color guard scheme in their equipment is just drop dead gorgeous. Not too hot on the guard uniforms up close but they work extremely well from the box.

I really don't think they don't care or are only thinking of later in August. In fact, the reasoning was a horrible weather phenomenon that plagued them during move ins and all days.... They had 40 degree temps and tons of rain and even snow late into the spring and summer. Now every corps has adversity and they (BK) are not complaining, just performing what they have. Other corps are not yet on tour... but I can understand frustration. Even myself I wonder where they would score/be with their product completed. I'm sure the staff also does not like to play catch up, but it's where they are and like our corps song says- I Go On. No matter the adversity they'll make the best of their situation and continue to provide a great product.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, I really like the Blue Knights, but this show just isn't doing anything for me yet. I've seen it live-- not just videos.

Maybe it's because the show isn't fully complete yet. I'm not sure why the Blue Knights are okay with being so far behind many of the other corps. People are paying money to see their show, and many people I've spoken to are very disappointed in the Blue Knights because since their show isn't even remotely done, no one understands the full extent of what they are trying to say.

Now, I know the Blue Knights don't really care about what a few audience members think, and I understand that they are more concerned with how the final product in August connects with folks, and I get that. Though, I just don't think it would be worth it for me to put out a product that is so under-developed at the beginning of the season that not many people understand it.

Lots of work to do, Blue Knights.......

Wes responded to this post as well as...or better than...I would have, but I'll add one more point.

From what I've heard, BK has three of their four movements on the field. Only the closer is, as yet, unperformed. I'd say that contradicts your contention that their show "isn't even remotely done".

• Like 1

drumline's totally jammin.

book's incredible.

Here are my impressions so far:

Because the world is round = BK 2013

Because the wind is high = BK 2014

I also hear a nod in "Rush" to the mello statement in 2014 closer.

Edited by denverjohn
  • Like 1